R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MEs Favorite EQ?  (Read 13783 times)

lucidwaves

Re: MEs Favorite EQ?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 04:19:42 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 18:13

GET HIM UP AGAINST THE WALL!!

Very Happy

LOL

Aw crap!!! Shocked   Let me emphasize another point.  I stand by my statement that software is becomming a viable means to master audio.  I have never said that is sounds better than decent outboard mastering gear (I do value my life at least a little).  And sorry for taking this a bit off topic.

The massive passive and IBIS EQs are truley desireable.
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

nmw

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 05:02:38 PM »

your a brave man standing up and say so  Very Happy

on a more serious note, i agree to some extent. i find theres certain things i can do with better results in a DAW environment than by going outboard, especially things like clinical EQ cuts, for other things i can get acceptable results but switching to outboard just yeilds even better ones. for me i want to get the best result i can.

one area where i do have an issue, and this is not levelled at zetterstroem, is the use of analog emulations within a DAW realm.
its seems somehow inherently wrong to my mind on several levels.
i guess the main one being the insinuation that users are getting  everything on offer from the real world originals.

ive been trying to think of some sort of unoffensive metaphor but this is the best i could muster.

it may be akin to vegetarian beefburgers. they look like burgers and may even taste slightly similar but they are not beefburgers.
if you are vegetarian, theres much better cooking you can do with vegetables than eat some sort of psuedo burger meanwhile if you eat meat they have little merit.

this leaves a middle group who just like how they taste. they couldnt care that they look like burgers or are trying to be them. it wouldnt matter if they were called product x and square, they just like them for what they are and how they taste, not for the mental feeling that they can somehow pretend to be eating a real burger.
with plugins however i sadly doubt that many fall into this middle group.

Ben F

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 07:58:43 PM »

Plus vegetarian burgers make you fart a lot...

I like the EQ on the TG series consoles for sort of 'creamy' mid / high boost and also just for the sound in general.

Don't mind the Sony Oxford range of digital EQ (in GML mode)  for touching up peoples Pro Tools sessions, especially compilations and they can be automated. Plus the interface is great. You need almost twice as much boost / cut to be the same as an analogue EQ though.

Ben

jfrigo

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 12:35:11 AM »

JayTea wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 07:36

jfrigo wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 09:07

My fantasy EQ is indeed a fantasy - Fred Forssell's possibly never-to-be-seen mastering EQ, but I'll keep talking about it 'til he gets sick of hearing me and finally makes one!

jfrigo ...what are the features of this fantasy EQ?
Maybe I can join your fantasy... uh EQ that is.. ahem.

As he originally described it, it was 4 bands plus filters and at a price point, that while not cheap, would stay below that nasty $7k+ range that so many mastering EQs fall into. Compared to the ol' NESQ-2, basically it would just be the latest generation Forssell sound, which means awesome, and have switched controls, tighter tolerances, and the frequencies, boost/cut values, and Q markings on the panel would actually be accurate. In short, everything I like about the NSEQ-2, only better, with everything I don't like about it fixed!

zetterstroem

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 03:43:59 AM »

humor has left the building...

plugs are to mastering as mp3 files are to cd..... an "emulation"....

never can and "never" will be as good as the original....

a great alternative if you're on a budget.... and for semi-pro mastering.....

but if you're striving for truly great sound analog is the only way imo.

even the weiss eq has a digital sheen to it that i don't like...... and i hope we can all agree it's among the very best digital gear?? will i use it?? of course.... if i have to....

most development today is steered towards lower prices and greater flexibilty..... not primarily greater sound...

it has been so for a long time...... and still we use analog tape/tube equipment and maybe even listen to vinyl  Shocked

i think too few people in this industry cares about truly great sound......
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Riccardo

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 05:39:44 AM »

Quick 2 questions for Zetterstroem
Do you have the "standard" TMEQ or the SPE.
If so have you had a chance to hear the SPE?

And as you are a Dane....have you had the chance to hear a Gyraf Passive Eq?

Jay...please keep asking Fred for that Eq!!!
It has been on his website as a "in development" for years now.. Sad

bblackwood

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 06:33:57 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 02:43

FWIW, until you've tried all of them, statements like this are simply ignorant - have you tried them all?. I don't use any plugs as I haven't found any I like, but when I do find one (or one is created) that I like, I will use it.

Anytime someone uses terms like 'always' and 'never' when talking about subjective issues it makes me wonder what their motivation really is, as it's certainly not about the art...

As for the original question, I like the Sontec and Crane Song EQs,  hoping to have a Davelizer before too long.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

zetterstroem

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 07:45:37 AM »

you're right brad..... stupid to use the term never..... that's why i wrote "never"

cause i hope some day (like you) i will hear a plug i really like.....

so far the only thing i didn't hear is the algoritmix things..... but i doubt seriously that they've "re-invented the wheel"

i use plugs for mixing...... but only the L2 when mastering...... i like the hardware version better btw....

my motivation is always to try to influence people in the direction of better sound/higher fidelity and to fight the"mp3 syndrome" that is influencing all art today!!

riccardo.... i worked with the ordinary tmeq.... didn't know there's such a thing as an spe version.... will call fairman later.....

the gyraf is really nice too..... although totally different from the fairman..... more flexible as the tmeq only has 3 Q settings and the gyraf is variable..... better value for money..... still the fairman sounds better.....
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

bblackwood

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 08:01:39 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 06:45

the gyraf is really nice too..... although totally different from the fairman..... more flexible as the tmeq only has 3 Q settings and the gyraf is variable..... better value for money..... still the fairman sounds better.....

I've wanted to try out a Gyraf for a long time but never could make it happen. Hopefully some day I can try it - I think Jakob knows what he's doing...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

zetterstroem

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 08:06:07 AM »

his vari-mu is really nice too....

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 09:20:00 AM »

Z - you really need to try the Algorithmix.  They may not have re-invented the wheel, but they have invented a new class of wheel.  A rounder, faster, cooler, shinier, kick-ass kind of wheel that rolls  all over just about anything else out there.  (OK, too many wheel analogies.)
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

Riccardo

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2005, 09:20:02 AM »

zetterstroem wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 12:45

riccardo.... i worked with the ordinary tmeq.... didn't know there's such a thing as an spe version.... will call fairman later.....

Thanks for the info.

I'll try to get a Gyraf from them to try in the next few months.
If you manage to try one sooner please Brad let us know.

Yes they do a special edition of the TMEQ but it is even more expensive than the standard one Shocked hence my curiosity.

lucey

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2005, 10:04:52 AM »

I use a lot of non-ME eq's like API, E15, Massive Passive ... as well as the more traditional IBIS and Weiss

Sontec looks interesting but they're so rare.

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 07:01

I've wanted to try out a Gyraf for a long time but never could make it happen. Hopefully some day I can try it - I think Jakob knows what he's doing...

I did too, until he recently posted that the Tube Tech CL1-b and the whole line is unaffected by tube type.  That theory was clarly opposed to everyone else's experience

Would love to hear the Fairman but couldnt pay for it or manage the A/C needed to run it, so maybe not.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

lucidwaves

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2005, 02:46:11 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 08:43

humor has left the building...

a great alternative if you're on a budget.... and for semi-pro mastering.....

but if you're striving for truly great sound analog is the only way imo.

even the weiss eq has a digital sheen to it that i don't like...... and i hope we can all agree it's among the very best digital gear?? will i use it?? of course.... if i have to....

most development today is steered towards lower prices and greater flexibilty..... not primarily greater sound...

it has been so for a long time...... and still we use analog tape/tube equipment and maybe even listen to vinyl  Shocked

i think too few people in this industry cares about truly great sound......

Hi zetterstroem,

Just wanted to clarify a few things.  I am just starting out in this field so I am speaking from a standpoint of less experience than most of the people here, however...

I never said that plugs sound better.  There are quite a few options now that do sound very good and are a viable means to master music.  And I agree with you that a high-end mastering facillity would not be "high-end" if they only used plugs.

The reason that I said that I am CONSIDERING staying in the box for mastering is for a couple reasons:

1. I dont currently have the money it would take to buy high end analog gear, even though it sounds better.  While this is a reason currently, I still had (and possibly have) plans for slowly upgrading with quality outboard gear.

and the other

2. The Algorithmix EQs- These are not trying to emulate anything, they are their own animal.  Honestly since trying the demo, these are what give me the notion that high-end mastering done completely on a DAW is possible in the near future, starting with these.  

Also, if Sonalksis, and Universal Audio continue on the same path they are currently on then (IMO) they will soon be up to a similar standard as Algorithmix.

Hope this clears things up.  
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

Len

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 06:45:33 AM »

Given Weiss's predominance in ME digital EQ circles, does anyone happen to know why they do not go ahead and produce a plugin also? I mean, its digital EQ, innit?

Just curious.

As for me, I wish I had the cash to buy all these fancy EQs, but mine's a project studio and I'm pretty happy with the Sonalksis EQ.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.