R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MEs Favorite EQ?  (Read 13779 times)

Jerry Tubb

MEs Favorite EQ?
« on: May 17, 2005, 01:18:30 AM »

MEs... what is your favorite current EQ?
...what is the EQ you would most like to have?
Analog, Digital, Software, New, Vintage, etc.

I know jackthebear has touched on this already,
but how about a full discussion?

already stated my current fave is the Millenia NSEQ-2 with mastering mod.

My fantasy EQ ...the big dog Sontec 432 with the really big knobs !

My Current EQ LineUp:

Millenia NSEQ-2  -amazing clarity, looks great
GML 8200  -classic sound, this one has mellowed on the top end
Avalon 2055  -has that sheen, but I hardly use it
Urei 530 -truly vintage Bill Putnam, lotsa color
ZQ-1 -classic dig EQ, mine only works @ 44.1 kHz
Waves Linear Phase  -not bad for plug-in

Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Arf! Mastering

Re: MEs Favorite EQ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 01:25:11 AM »

Analog  -   Legendary Audio Masterpiece by Rupert Neve
           Massive Passive
Digital -   Algorithmix, Weiss

“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

zetterstroem

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:14:47 AM »

fairman TMEQ-1
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

zenmastering

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 05:00:30 AM »

Algorithmix Linear Phase 'Red & Orange'
ZQ-2
Pyramix 'XD' beta EQ plug-in
Sonoma mixer
DBX Quantum

I *really* like the Algorithmix stuff - it also works at 352k8, where it's just a 'slight' CPU hog...

Now looking for some good analogue tools (and appreciating the recent discussion of same here.)

Graemme

Zen Mastering
Vancouver, Canada
+1.604.874.9096
info AT zenmastering DOT net

"Man is the only animal that blushes -- or needs to."
- Mark Twain

nmw

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 06:46:27 AM »

i'm currently using the EQ's from two channels of trident 80 i had rack mounted, a K+H UE400 and two urei 527s.

also use the assorted EQs in my waves diamond. its hard to get more clinical than the Qx ones for cuts but they are exceptionally bland. its strange how in mastering this can often be an understated quality  Laughing

had a summit eqp200a up here a couple of weeks ago but wasnt too keen. it didnt do anything the others couldnt do.

as for drooling, the millenia NSEQ and the massive passive are at the top though ive not worked properly with either so theres no real depth to this at the moment. its a bit like looking at boobs i guess

aivoryuk

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:09:33 AM »

JayTea wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 06:18

Avalon 2055  -has that sheen, but I hardly use it

i'll have it if you don't want it  Very Happy

lucidwaves

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 10:00:52 AM »

My EQ desire is heavily on the Algorithmix Red and Orange.  

I am honestly considering staying in the box for mastering (please dont shoot me for mastering blasphemy) since trying the demo, whereas before I had planned on manley and cranesong outboard eq and comp somewhere down the line to start with.  But between Algorithmix Red and Orange for EQ, the Sonalksis compressor and the UAD-1 plugs I really think that digital processing and analog modeled digital processing have come to a point where they are a valid mastering option.  
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

jfrigo

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »

JayTea wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 22:18

MEs... what is your favorite current EQ?
...what is the EQ you would most like to have?
Analog, Digital, Software, New, Vintage, etc.

I'm on record already. I bought the EQ that worked best for me - the NSEQ-2. The Weiss was the second one I felt would best help me cover all my bases next to the NSEQ, and I'm very happy with that one as well. I have a few others available that I just don't use.

My fantasy EQ is indeed a fantasy - Fred Forssell's possibly never-to-be-seen mastering EQ, but I'll keep talking about it 'til he gets sick of hearing me and finally makes one!

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »

jfrigo wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 09:07

My fantasy EQ is indeed a fantasy - Fred Forssell's possibly never-to-be-seen mastering EQ, but I'll keep talking about it 'til he gets sick of hearing me and finally makes one!

jfrigo ...what are the features of this fantasy EQ?
Maybe I can join your fantasy... uh EQ that is.. ahem.
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

TotalSonic

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 11:50:47 AM »

My favorite analog one that is in my rack right now is my Medici.  I actually think this is one of Neve's most under rated design.  Probably between people being shy about the Amek name, that most knobs aren't detented (and instead sides are matched by using kind of an eccentric but cool design - there's a pink noise generator that you can switch on so that you can find the exact null point for each band by making tiny sweeps to one of the sides), the fact that there are few IC's lurking on the insides, and maybe more importantly that there just weren't that many of them made has kept this as a "sleeper" unit - only other ME I know of that has it in their rack is Howie Weinberg (and I really don't know how much he uses his).  

The thing I love about it is that you can go ape doo-doo with midrange boosts and things will still sound totally smooth - "creamy" even.  That - and it offers a lot of versatility - it's possible to be subtle or surgical with it and it has a nice variety of colors that you can switch in with it's "warm" and "sheen" buttons.

Only thing lacking on it for me is that the bottom end is more "roundish" or "pillowy" so if I want to get a nice hard edge to make things like kick drums on a hip-hop track really thump I usually turn to my Neumann's or Filtek's.

Definitely have interest at this point in checking out the Lil FreQ as it seems to offer a lot of features for a price point that I could actually fit into our studios budget, and seems to be getting really nice reviews.  Only way to find out though is to hear one.  

If cash was no object I'd probably add both an SPL PQ (as the motorized recalls would actually be a plus feature for me since with vinyl mastering snap shot automation is the way to go) and a Massive Passive.  

My fantasy eq would be 6 channels analog (either using for 4 channels for vinyl transfer or the 6 for surround), with 2 shelving filters, LPF, HPF and 5 parametric bands completely software controlled and snap shot automateable.  Again - in vinyl mastering for quickest work flow all processing is done on load out and usually a per track snap shot automation keyed in real time is how it's handled - but this kind of limits you mainly to digital eq's.  Having this handled in the analog realm easily with the same flexibility as the digital stuff would be awesome for me.  I kind of imagine something like the Gamble DCX foh console - http://www.gambleboards.com - except with the signal path made mastering caliber.  

Favorite digital eq currently is the JMS Audioware Hi-Res - http://www.jms-audioware.com/eq_saw.htm
Hey - here's another test for the gear snobs - this plug goes for $75.  The important point for me in using this is that the SAWStudio version is 100% easily automateable, but the fact that it processes at 64bit double precision float doesn't hurt either.  Not something I ever use for big boosts or cuts - more of for minor tweaks per section or phrase just prior to load out when I need to get this done quickly.  I'm currently beta testing a new SAWStudio native eq from Sonoris that seems to have a lot of promise.  Based on testimonials I definitely want to check out the Algorithmix EQ - although to me over a g is a lot to spend on a plug with no automation - so I don't know whether I would bite or not.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

zetterstroem

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »

lucidwaves wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 15:00

I am honestly considering staying in the box for mastering (please dont shoot me for mastering blasphemy) since trying the demo, whereas before I had planned on manley and cranesong outboard eq and comp somewhere down the line to start with.  But between Algorithmix Red and Orange for EQ, the Sonalksis compressor and the UAD-1 plugs I really think that digital processing and analog modeled digital processing have come to a point where they are a valid mastering option.  

GET HIM UP AGAINST THE WALL!!

Very Happy
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 02:04:43 PM »

Get used to it - he's right  Shocked
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

ammitsboel

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 02:20:36 PM »

AlanS wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 19:04

Who is?
Dr. Who??
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

zetterstroem

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »

AlanS wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 19:04

yes.... thankyou.... i know i am  Laughing

TotalSonic

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 04:13:20 PM »

lucidwaves wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 15:00

I agree - without a question these are now viable options.  The question though is whether for every track if these are the best possible options - and I believe for many tracks analog processors will still give better results.  I think the well equipped mastering studio will have both analog and digital processors readily available as alternatives for any eq or dynamic chore.  

Sometimes you feel like nuts - other times you don't
Very Happy

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 18 queries.