R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Stage Snake" for studio use?  (Read 4455 times)

Bob Thing

"Stage Snake" for studio use?
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:08:58 PM »

OK, I'm looking at getting a decent quality "stage snake" from Whirlwind, Radial, or some other decent quality manufacturer to sit between my preamps and drum mics.  Probably 25', but maybe 50'.  Definitely no longer than that.

Am I about to make a several hundred dollar mistake?  Is the signal quality from my mics going to be significantly degraded by doing this?

BTW, for the most part, I'm not using crap.  The mics are not great, but good (57 on snare, Sennheiser e604 on toms, Shure Beta 52 on kick, AT4033 on overheads).  The pres are Sytek, Great River MP-2NV, and UA 2108.  Audio interface is MOTU 896HD into Nuendo.

Not a bad signal chain, and I don't want to screw it up.  Whaddya think?  To Snake, Or Not To Snake?  That is my question.

Brian Roth

Re: "Stage Snake" for studio use?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:12:58 AM »

IMHO, no problem.  A snake cable is easier to handle that umpteen individual cables.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

EyreSpace

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:25:21 AM »

Buy the best cable you can afford. Chances are it will be significantly better than your mic cables!
"Yamaha sucks for not having an upgrade plan like Digi." Alecio Costa

Bob Thing

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:29:24 AM »

Nah, I have good mic cables.  Mogami Neglex w/Neutrik connectors.  Custom made at a local pro audio shop.

But if you have any suggestions for quality snakes w/a breakout box, I'm all ears.  I figured I'd be OK with Whirlwind or Radial.

Brian Roth

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 01:23:16 AM »

Gepco has good bang-for-the buck snake cable.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

James Duncan

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 03:33:05 PM »

I made myself a small Mogami/Neutrik drum snake for my studio, and it works great and is a hell of a lot neater than having 8 individual mic cables strewn all over the studio, plus it is a hell of a lot easier to wind up at the end of a session! Wink When I need more than 8 mics on the drums, I just add a few extra "regular" cables (also Mogami/Neutrik).
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

PookyNMR

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 09:32:46 AM »

I have the Radial stuff.  You can get it made with Mogami cable.

Nathan Rousu

John Ivan

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 09:51:05 AM »

I bought a conquest sound 16x4 100' snake used about 4 years ago for $100.00 and it still works like new. I don't use it anymore though. I needed it in my bigger room up north, { those were the days.}

I'm going to cut it up and use it for outboard snakes for the patch bay.

You can find them cheap used.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 11:13:25 AM »

I'm probably insane, but I think the Canare sounds a little better than the Mogami.  The Canare seems a little more solid in the lows.  I use Hudson Audio Video up in NY, they are at http://www.haveinc.com  
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

bloodstone

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 01:55:21 PM »

I've been using a Whirlwind stage snake for years in my studio.  I've been getting good results. I run from my basement (control room) to my living room (tracking room).  I haven't identified any appreciable loss in signal quality.  

John L Rice

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 11:53:49 AM »

I've been using both Whirlwind mini-12 and Rapco 8-Pack drop snakes for several years for recording my drums and they both work fine.  I like the design and construction of the Whirlwind better but I've never noticed any audio problems with either.  

Mine are pretty short though ( very tiny studio here  Sad ).  The Whirlwind mini-12 I have is only 15 feet long and I think the Rapo 8-Pack is 10 or 15 feet.

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/mini612.html

Best of luck!

compasspnt

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 08:40:08 PM »

Nathan Eldred wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 11:13

I'm probably insane, but I think the Canare sounds a little better than the Mogami.  The Canare seems a little more solid in the lows.

Good to see Canare mentioned.  I have a lot of it (as well as Mogami).  The Canare is every bit as good.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 11:20:04 PM »

I'd have thought that stage snakes would be superior to install snakes in this instance, because they are designed to be handled/abused in the live arena...

FWIW we've just built our new place and used Klotz multis - 24 and 32 way between our main C/R and the machine room. The wiring/install tech (ie: solder-monkey) was impressed with how easy they were to work on, and with the construction quality...

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Fruition Music

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 06:10:41 PM »

I've built many cables using thousands of feet of Canare Star Quad, I also have their multipair cable which is 9 conductor mic cable (star quad) all wrapped up in one convenient snake. Takes longer to strip and terminate, with 2 blue, 2 white and shield..tedious but always had great results.
PM me if you're interested in the 9 pair..I may have extra.
Kind Regards,
Dean Dydek

www.deandydek at yahoo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 17 queries.