R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ME's with their own sound  (Read 3885 times)

TotalSonic

Re: ME's with their own sound
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 11:44:49 AM »

I think placed into the same room with the same monitors and gear every ME will make somewhat different decisions as to what to do to a track.   But whether these particular decisions can be formulated into a repeatable consistent personal "sound" is pretty debatable - especially since transparency of the process is often a goal in mastering.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

pg666

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 12:41:54 PM »

the only time i've ever been able to spot a specific 'sound' from mastering comes from a lot of the 'after hours' type places or second rate mastering rooms nowadays. i'm guessing a lot of people (younger clients and less experienced MEs) think mastering is the step of the process where you cut the low mids, boost some 8k or so, and compress by default. i've heard quite a few of friends/aquaintances records done this way and they always sound bigger and 'punchier' (sometimes cartoonishly so, and these aren't all hard rock records either!), but they all end up sounding kinda the same.

lucey

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 01:33:49 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 07:50

ammitsboel wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 06:28

But to say that you don't have a sound or you are unaware of it, is probably because you are inexperienced with listening to your own work.

According to your profile, you're 22 years old - do you really want to turn this into a steak-swinging contest about experience?

When I say I don't think I have a sound, I say this with experience (both time mastering and listening to my own work), thankyouverymuch.

We all have a range of sound ... the gear chain (especially converters) for one thing ... and personal taste DOES play into it no matter how hard we try.

Ludwig's stuff sounds like the Pacific HDCD, for example.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 01:40:28 PM »

lucey wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 12:33

We all have a range of sound ... the gear chain (especially converters) for one thing ... and personal taste DOES play into it no matter how hard we try.

Fine, I agree our gear can color the sound in a certain way, but if Henrik is right, you should be able to listen to a record and know who mastered it without looking at the credits...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lucey

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 02:25:56 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 12:40

Fine, I agree our gear can color the sound in a certain way, but if Henrik is right, you should be able to listen to a record and know who mastered it without looking at the credits...

Well that would be a bit exteme.  What I suggested was listening to a number of major records by the bigger named mixers.  Eventually there are patterns to see.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

jackthebear

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 05:47:41 PM »

lucey wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 03:33

It doesn't take a genius to work out that the Ludwig mastered cds had the HDCD logo emblazzened on them.

And besides( to the best of my knowledge ) he hasn't been using the Pacific Microsonics for ages.

I know Adam Ayan has had one for years that he inherited along with his own room.
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 07:05:47 PM »

jackthebear wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 16:47

...And besides( to the best of my knowledge ) he hasn't been using the Pacific Microsonics for ages.

"Ages" would be only the 8 months since we saw each other at AES!

TotalSonic

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 10:10:31 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 00:05

...And besides( to the best of my knowledge ) he hasn't been using the Pacific Microsonics for ages.

Not that it necessarily means anything - but Gateway's website lists both PCM and DSD converters by DCS and also SIX HDCD Model 2's for Bob's room.  So I have a feeling Bob O is right here.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jackthebear

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2005, 10:26:32 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 12:10

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 00:05

Not that it necessarily means anything - but Gateway's website lists both PCM and DSD converters by DCS and also SIX HDCD Model 2's for Bob's room.  So I have a feeling Bob O is right here.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

3 cheers for Bob!!!!!! and booey to me!!
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

maxim

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 02:21:23 AM »

"transparency" is a "sound"

Ronny

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 13:40

It's really an impossible question to answer. If you and Henrik applied the same 3dB tweak at x freq or whatever it was, through the same gear and were in different rooms, it could sound different, but the whole deal is, neither of you are going to listen to the same tune and think that it needs the exact same tweak. In this regard an ME is applying his sound to a tune, but the music varies so much in tracking procedures, mixing procedures, band performance, genre, intruments used, mixing techniques and what processes that engineer applied, that identifying an ME on every tune that he masters isn't going to happen with any consistency.

I think we all have a certain ballpark that we are trying to get the music to fit, what sounds good to each of us tonally and impact wise, but it varies from project to project so much that there is no ME sound that can be identifiable everytime, even with the A listers, IMHO.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------