R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ME Credits and Fees Snobbery  (Read 2108 times)

lucey

ME Credits and Fees Snobbery
« on: May 15, 2005, 09:31:46 PM »

Some MEs feel like credits are a basis for snobbery.  

Others think that pay scale is a basis for snobbery.  

Someone here has said that I charge "too little for the gear", a form of pay AND gear snobbery combined.

Some of us are not impressed with credits as it's the musicians and mixers who deserve the major credit, the MEs just ride along.  

Some of us are not impressed by gear (although we still love to use good stuff!)

Then again some others are put off by MEs talking about what they did on well known jobs, as if it's bragging. Again, it's the musicians and mixers first, and MEs just tag along.   I for one would like to hear what gear and techniques were needed for some high profile jobs, assuming enough years have passed that it can be talked about.

If were not here to share, why are we here?

Looking from all the perspectives we can only say that everyone is different ... and the less macho shit that goes around, the more we can focus on talking about music making, not personal BS.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

jackthebear

Re: ME Credits and Fees Snobbery
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 10:46:19 PM »

I think you should share more of your pearls of wisdom Brian.
After all you can do better than Ted Jensen and George Marino.
Not only have you climbed the mastering Everest, you're in orbit!

As a mere glorified tape copy boy I would be enthralled to hear about how you (as a part timer) just tag along to some of the other classics.

Should prove to be riveting.

And once you're done can you unhook your pinkie from my belt loop?
The other boys on the cell block want a turn.
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

lucey

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 09:45:03 AM »

jackthebear wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 21:46

I think you should share more of your pearls of wisdom Brian.
After all you can do better than Ted Jensen and George Marino.
Not only have you climbed the mastering Everest, you're in orbit!

WTF?

Quote:

As a mere glorified tape copy boy I would be enthralled to hear about how you (as a part timer) just tag along to some of the other classics.

Again ... WTF?

Quote:

Should prove to be riveting.

And once you're done can you unhook your pinkie from my belt loop?
The other boys on the cell block want a turn.

Please keep your homophobic/homoerotic humor to the bar.

This is an example of what I'm talking about.  ME to ME personal BS that has nothing to do with music.  Totally inappropriate for this board.

Here's the guy who says I charge too little at $750/job, and trolls me around with false accusations.  Dude's not even funny.

What's your problem Jack?   Spell it out for us because you make no sense.  As far as a I recall I have never said a bad word about you, other than to defend these bizarre attacks.   Is it my confidence or American citizenship that pisses you off ...  two things you perhaps long for and despise?

I dont get you brother but I hope you can chill out before Brad has to throw us both out for this BS.

Instead of trying to bash me with these daft tirades from your subconscious, why don't you mount up and offer something of your vast work experience.  As you seem to think your resume is something that allows you to be a critic of others.

Again, I dont care what people have done, as I do not worship the  famous ME or the "famous credits" ... but if we've worked on something we all know, that would make for an interesting discussion about something REAL.   All the theories and steak swinging is a waste of time compared to looking at real world examples.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

jackthebear

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:08:27 AM »

lucey wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 23:45

[

What's your problem Jack?   Spell it out for us because you make no sense.

Brian,

To make claims that you do better work than Ted Jensen or George Marino might be true. To go on the board and bask in it in make you look like a goose!

You have a holier than thou attitude sometimes.

I told you I'll call you out on things you say that I feel are just plain ridiculous....and I did.

I only single you out because you have this uncanny ability to post such utter crap on a consistent basis that makes you sound like a conceited arrogant sociopath.

You are the laughing stock of the audio world.....

If you could see / hear what others think of you, you'd be burying your head in some back block in Ohio and getting into your 3rd morgage.

Some people just don't call you out (or more to the point) say what they really think because they don't have the guts.

Now I'd like to respond to the rest of your crap but I'll spare everyone the brutality.

OK????? Specific question answered???

Good......now piss off and get back to your shine box.

Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

lucey

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 11:17:30 AM »

jackthebear wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 09:08

lucey wrote on Mon, 16 May 2005 23:45

What's your problem Jack?   Spell it out for us because you make no sense.

Brian,

To make claims that you do better work than Ted Jensen or George Marino might be true. To go on the board and bask in it in make you look like a goose!

WHOA!  I never said I do "better work" than anyone, I said that I (and some ACDC fans who've heard it) liked my re-version of Jensens BIB, and an updated Jensen is all it is.  He did the work, my pass was an hour to modernize it a bit.

Marinos BIB is not liked by most ACDC fans ... and if anything bash him why dont you?  He was disrespectful to the Iconic recording by turning a well known master work into a dark-loud thing, typical to his work, but not the bands sonic identity.

Of course, maybe that was the label's idea .. trying to make more money, or maybe Jensen gave him the green light to try and rewrite history.

Either way, I said I prefer my revision of Jensen's version, with some slight low end and additional level.  Probably close to what he'd do today, given the job again.

Quote:

You have a holier than thou attitude sometimes.

Why is it that the insecure call confidence "holier than thou" ?

Anyway your critique lacks integrity as you aren't giving others a hard time?  What have they done to earn this pass from you? Copy some famous tapes to CD?  A few jobs a year on labels?   A few great records?  Well, we all have done a few great records and have all worked hard, and have all pleased most clients.   Yet whatever it is others have done you CHOOSE to respect it ... but why not respect everyone?

The great in any field respect the rest.  I have been respectful of your BS as much as possible, but this is getting old.

Anyway Jack, have you taken the time to hear my update of the Jensen MASTERWORK?  No.  You just bash away, and the moderator is your friend so you get a pass.

Quote:

I told you I'll call you out on things you say that I feel are just plain ridiculous....and I did.

I only single you out because you have this uncanny ability to post such utter crap on a consistent basis that makes you sound like a conceited arrogant sociopath.

Coming from you that means nothing.  You have no moral or professional authority to "call out" anyone.  You have become a blight on this board with the piss and vinegar of a true wannnbe.  A real player would lead by example ... you're like a guy on the Rec Pit back in the day, and arrogant person accusing others of arrogance! Wow.

Seems to me you are the joker here, as you REALLY want the status you lack, and you are defending others with a status you respect and want, yet who YOU ARE NOT.  Ironic, as I am not attacking anyone and true gentlemen would find your attacks pathetic and unnecessary.  

Great work stands on it's own, beyond reproach.  It needs no self-appointed champions.

Quote:

You are the laughing stock of the audio world.....

My clients disagree, and they're all I care about.

Anytime you want to shootout YOUR work, and not defend some famous guy you wish you were, I'm here.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

jackthebear

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:19:02 PM »

After reading that post 2 things are clear to me....

1. I'm dealing with a very disturbed individual. You need a special training for that.
2. You bite too easily and the novelty is wearing off.

Thanks for the laughs Brian.....but get some help.

As of now I have enabled the blocking fuction and you have become toast.
Just remember if you ever see me.....I like 2 coats of boot polish and don't stain the cuffs of my trousers.
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

chrisj

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 04:32:41 PM »

Happy Birthday, DC!

...oh damn, wrong thread...  Dead

Lee Tyler

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 08:15:21 PM »

I http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:De1HEp9o-SIJ:http://www.yellow.co.nz/sites/6638/images/red_heart.jpg
Vermont!

Oooops, wrong thread.
Nurse to doctor: "Doctor, there is a man in the waiting room who thinks he's invisible".

Doctor to nurse: "Nurse, tell him I can't see him"

Jan Folkson

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 08:26:01 PM »

Who's got the popcorn?
- Jan Folkson
http://www.janfolkson.com

Noiseless pickups?  What's the point?

bblackwood

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 09:48:18 PM »

As I can see nothing positive coming from this thread, it's done.

Let's keep this board professional, folks. There are plenty of places you can go to sling mud...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 16 queries.