R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: ME Gear Snobbery  (Read 14789 times)

turtletone

Re: ME Gear Snobbery
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2005, 07:22:57 AM »

The way I see it, credits do matter. If you don't have them, then you aren't doing much work, or at least not the kind of work that warrants a credit. People want to put your name on the record, if they don't, then they don't care much about you. It not only shows what you've done, but that the people you work with care enough about you to bother putting your name on the record. It doesn't mean that you aren't good at what you do.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

lucey

« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2005, 06:40:32 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 06:22

The way I see it, credits do matter. If you don't have them, then you aren't doing much work, or at least not the kind of work that warrants a credit. People want to put your name on the record, if they don't, then they don't care much about you. It not only shows what you've done, but that the people you work with care enough about you to bother putting your name on the record. It doesn't mean that you aren't good at what you do.

Or it shows that your taste and communication were a match with theirs.

Jerry, it's funny how one negative emotion has spiraled into all this ... and although I'm not sad that you posted it, I do tire of what this thread has become.  It's ugly and unnecessary in many ways.

It's also funny how Brad said there is no snobbery ... and then has gone on to be a credits snob.   So this board is for credit snobs who aren't doing the highest levels of releases that require huge limiting, so we can also make a 'mafia' list and be dynamics snobs there too.   So we're accredited, but not really the top level guys in the world ... and so we want to be above SOMEONE. I get it.

Wow, when I have 30 years at this I will never discount the published credits of a younger engineer.  

Experience is qualitative ... meaning that doing one thing well transfers to other things.  Listening is not the province of MEs.  Musicians in general find engineers to be gear lusting deaf geeks.  I have tried not to go there but it is funny to read all the pomp form people who neither play an instrument nor compose, nor perform.  It's a wonderful craft, but it's still just mastering a finished mix of a performed composition.

As for my credits, the clients on my webpage were not lying.  Now some of my free samples do not result in jobs, hip hop is admittedly a weakness of mine ... yet on the jobs I get, the client priases are all the credit I need.  And that's why I post them on my website.  Word-of-mouth and actual quotes are far greater credit.

The fact of an AMG notation means that we did a job that was big enough to be released and was submitted to them by someone.  It doesn't mean that we made the artist jump up and down for joy, or that we turned shite to Shinola and got them signed (as one of my UK artists tells everyone he knows.)

Again, I wonder why anyone would defend credits.  It starts a slippery slope of expectations.   For example, if I had 20-30 years in only this one field, I'd expect more than pages of AMG credits, I'd expect to be at the top of the field with Grammys and all the rest.  So no one here has a platform to look down, really.  We are all average in that light.  And the credit measuring is a form of snobbery that's not productive at all.  It only leads to scepticism and snobbery, and it further s the lie that a past credit assures the next guy happiness.  There is no love and no truth in the past.  Only facts, and facts can be manipulated in SO many ways.

bblackwood wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 06:08

All the expereince in the world in other fields, even other aspects of audio, don't matter when compared to real time in the trenches mastering records, imo.

So an accountant is as good as a professional musician until he has AMG?

Quote:

Regardless of how good an engineer is, until he has some credits to point to, there is no easy way to quantiyfy his experience. And experince is what people pay us for, when you strip away everything else.

Experience cannot be quantified ... you can try, but its impossible.  It can be seen and heard, but not read.

Quote:

How can anyone disagree with this? We talk about experience being the core of what we do all the time!

Like I said, one of my recent clients was happier with my work than one of the main posters in this thread.  So what does that mean? Not much necessarily.

Maybe that I got lucky?  That communication was better?  That tastes collided more easily?  Who knows. Who cares.  Was the music served?  Yes.  And that's important to me.  If another ME would do a better job for that record, I want the client to go there, honestly.  

None of the details and qualitative interaction of a transaction between client and ME are revealed in the crediting process.  It says that a specific form of release happened, and that the ME was noted on the record specifically as the ME.

And George ... although I agree with much of your post ... all qualities are not subjective.  Some are objective ... like effortlessness for example.

A dancer or violinist's effortlessness can been seen and experienced by a large enough group to be as 'objective' as a math problem.  Ever see Yo-Yo Ma live?  Marcel Marceau?  Greatness is not subjective either.

And even math is not true for everyone, there are other math's where 2+2=5.  So even the great 'objectivity' is subjective at a certain point, and subjectivity is objective at another.  

Stephen Hawking's Quantum Physics anyone?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

bblackwood

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2005, 08:14:50 PM »

But Brian, you;re missing the primary point - it's not about 'snobbery', it's simply making the point that someone with pages of credits probably has more experience than someone with none and therefore might, just might have more to offer due to that experience.

Experience has always been the hallmark of great mastering engineers, otherwise it's easy to dismiss someone's work as pure luck. No offense, but to think that someone with 10X the experience in time, releases, and clients does not have more experience to bring to the forum is simple ludicrous. Snobbery? Pot meet kettle. This doesn't mean David can master an album better than you, but I guarantee he can bring insight to more situations that arise due to his massive experience compared to yours.

This board is not and never has been about being superior or snobbish, and once again it appears you are projecting your feelings onto the poster as if you know their motivations. I started and work daily on this forum to help everyone who is interested in mastering, hence the forum title. And along the way I've learned tons as well, that's what makes it cool. But as soon as someone comes along and states what is seemingly obvious to most everyone, you jump in and start with this snobbery business - can you post and not make yourself out to be the underdog against an imagined foe? I'd love to see an effort in this as it would make the discussions far better, imo...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2005, 03:23:28 AM »

Gear, Credits, Awards, Press, Rates, & Location are all candidates for snobbery .

I think we've reached a "stalemate" on these subjects. I don't see anyone conceding on any side... nor do I expect to... I'm ready to move on... and let this thread drift harmlessly off the bottom of the list.

and besides, I think we've used up all the emoticons !

Peace
Embarassed  Razz  Mad  Laughing  Cool  Confused  Shocked  Surprised  Sad  Smile  Very Happy  Crying or Very Sad  Evil or Very Mad  Twisted Evil  Rolling Eyes
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

lucey

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2005, 03:11:24 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 19:14

But Brian, you;re missing the primary point - it's not about 'snobbery', it's simply making the point that someone with pages of credits probably has more experience than someone with none and therefore might, just might have more to offer due to that experience.

more experience is a number  ... but what quality of experience?  And what does this assure? .... so why bother?

the words "more" and "experience" are misleading at best when used together.  

the worlds of quality and quantity do not intersect at any points.

Quote:

Experience has always been the hallmark of great mastering engineers,

of course ... but experience cannot me measured, not in years or credits.  this is not an opinion, but a logical fact.

quantify love or beauty or grace and I'll listen

qualify the published credits, OTOH ...

can't be done
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.