R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ac/dc reissues  (Read 2236 times)

aivoryuk

ac/dc reissues
« on: May 12, 2005, 11:28:46 AM »

i recently returned from a trip to see my girlfriend in Australia to which i managed to purchase a lot of the ac/dc reissues (the ones with the digipacks) that came out recently (well 2003)

These reissues have all been done by george marino of sterling.
the previous remastered ones were done between ted jensen and george.

As a budding me i was interested to hear them and was wondering if any ME's have heard both sets and what they think of them, any improvements etc???

cheers
alex ivory

Doug Van Sloun

Re: ac/dc reissues
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 07:58:34 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 10:28

i recently returned from a trip to see my girlfriend in Australia to which i managed to purchase a lot of the ac/dc reissues (the ones with the digipacks) that came out recently (well 2003)

As a budding me i was interested to hear them and was wondering if any ME's have heard both sets and what they think of them, any improvements etc???

I recently picked up the Dual Disc version of Back in Black and compared it to my CD that I picked up around 1990.

The new version was 6 - 7 dB hotter on average and clipped.  The clipping distortion "wasn't too painful" (TM).  The EQ on the new one was great!  The low end was tighter and more full.  Punchier lows even though it was more compressed.  The highs were smoother and better integrated.  The old one was a little gritty on the high end and had some EQ cut in the low mids.  As loud and compressed as the remaster is, the choruses still get louder than the verses!!!  You can't keep a good mix down. Wink

It's a remaster that I can actually recommend...  Is anyone else disappointed in the "Superior Stereo Sound" on the DVD sides of these Dual Discs???  Seems like they're all 48kHz/16 bit...  I just got the new Dave Matthews Band dual disc, I'll have to check that one out...
Doug Van Sloun
http://www.focusmastering.com
Omaha, NE

jackthebear

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 08:29:47 PM »

I like both TJ's and George's take on it.
However there is a certain magic on the original.
As DC said "probably because there was no computah in the way".....

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

lucey

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:56:34 PM »

As an ACDC fan I have to say that the Marino version sounds broken.  And I know many who feel the same way.  

As an ME I can say that it sounds like Marino, not ACDC.  The Jensen versions (Lp and CD) are so definitive it's a shame Mr. Marino was unable to respect the definition made by his colleagues work and modernize it without going full tilt into dark and clipped land.

My personal favorite is a version I did from Jensens CD, simply through the Requisite L2M for a couple of db of fat tube limiting, and then reconverted with a tiny touch of HEDD digital.  More level, more harmonic distortion and more low end than TJs but not as dark, dead and flat as Marino's goth version.
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

jackthebear

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 01:14:35 AM »

lucey wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 12:56

My personal favorite is a version I did from Jensens CD, simply through the Requisite L2M for a couple of db of fat tube limiting, and then reconverted with a tiny touch of HEDD digital.  More level, more harmonic distortion and more low end than TJs but not as dark, dead and flat as Marino's goth version.

You are so full of it man!!!!!
Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.