R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WIMP results and discussion  (Read 20049 times)

aivoryuk

Re: WIMP results and discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 01:04:41 AM »

well im still having trouble sending my file
its now saying that the file is too big for brads server

well i shall try again and hopefully will be able to send it off later today

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 07:50:32 AM »

More submissions have been added (see the first post)...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

aivoryuk

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »

well i finally managed to get my sent as its now on the forum only took about 36 hours to send  Laughing

lets see a few more on here

Alex Ivory

magicchord

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 11:51:16 AM »

I'm sending one; just my standard quick & dirty mastering job.

Dammit! Email keeps failing here at work; I'll try from home tonight.

Patrick Bryant
MagicChord Music
Patrick Bryant - Magicchord Music BMI

mbruce333

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 03:45:51 PM »

Well, here goes nothing!  Mine is up, so please be kind, I'm still just getting started.  What a great chance to hear my effort compared to others and the other way around!  FWIW, I used Sound Forge and Vegas running the usual Waves plugs. Very Happy

Thanks!!!!!
Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

mbruce333

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 03:56:30 PM »

Just wondering if any of you considered editing out the little cough in the vocal after the line "there's nothing wrong" at around 1:03 or so.  I heard it and thought since I can get rid of it, why not.  Anyone else??

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

masterhse

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »

mbruce333 wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 15:56

Just wondering if any of you considered editing out the little cough in the vocal after the line "there's nothing wrong" at around 1:03 or so.  I heard it and thought since I can get rid of it, why not.  Anyone else??

Mike Bruce

Actually that was intentional, I asked the artist if he wanted to mute that out during the rough mix. It's an inside joke/reference ...
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

rdolmat

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 09:24:34 PM »

mbruce333 wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 12:56

Mike Bruce

Heard it...but didn't do anything about it!

cheers
rich
Cheers
rich

chrisj

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 10:48:41 PM »

I'm now mailing my track to Brad.

Amadeus, SoundHack and Audacity on a hotrodded Power Mac 8500. Software worth $30 total...

It was a hell of a long story- towards the end of the processing stages, even my Audiophile 2496 crapped out and I had to dive in with a soldering iron and fix it. I actually ended up bypassing some cheesey 5534 opamps and wiring directly to the EK4528 DAC in the card, which made it sound markedly better Very Happy not only that, you could run the outputs as balanced! However, I didn't, this time.

I've got detailed notes- if anyone wants to know what I did, I'll expose every detail. It's pretty hard work, though, especially with this exact setup. I think the results sound good. You should hear the 16 bit master Very Happy

Ed Littman

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 11:40:15 PM »

Ok, heres my setup.

Waves lin eq
21963k,+8.2db,1.11q
3445k,+4.3db,1.00q
1291k,+5.3db, 4.13q
258hz,+2.5db,1.00q

Waves lineq lowband
64hz,+3.9, 1.94q

WavesTransx wide
mega kick preset with duration reduced to 2.10

idr type1 dither. no limiter just good ole' clipping.

wanted to get more over all clarity, bring the vocal out a bit more, & get the bottom to punch more.

katapult

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 01:06:13 AM »

Ah, finally a moment to relax and write in.

My entry was done in Cubase using the t.c. electronic PowerCore firewire.  Nothing special was done.  I used the TC EqSat trim the lows just a bit, bring out some of the highs to brighten up the cymbols and a couple minor adjustments in the low mids.  Nothing was more than 2 db.

I then applied the TC Master X3 compressor, turned off the Expander and forgot to turn off the limiter.  Don't ask why I didn't turn that off.  I just forgot out of lack of use I guess.  Or maybe it was a subconscious influence from my last project.

Here's a question: how much influence does your last project have over your current project?

I just finished a hip hop project and I am thinking this may have affected the overall level I was looking for.  That said, the compression I used with the X3 may be a bit radical for some tastes so I won't reveal this unless pressured.  No adjustments were made to the frequency levels of the X3.

And that is all I did for this project.  Feedback is appreciated.

Patrick

bblackwood

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 07:51:51 AM »

More submissions are being added daily - check them out. And don't forget to post your notes from the session - what you did and why...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lucidwaves

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2005, 09:00:22 AM »

Here is the method I used and chain:

What a great song to begin with, overall good mix and doesn’t sound like anyone tried to have it pre-pre-mastered to Smile  

Loaded 2 copies of the track into Adobe Audition, one for mastering the other to keep dry and compare what I am doing.

UAD-1:

LA2A- To pull the dynamics together a bit

Precision EQ- Small boost to the lows and cut to the low-mid for a little more definition between the kick and bass (not sure that this worked very well though).  Medium raise (3db) on the upper mid section because I wanted to bring that part of the vocals (and distortion of vocals) up a bit.  Another slight boost in the highs to bring forward "strum" sound on the guitar (is this a weird approach?) and cymbals.

Ozone:

Limiter- About the only "effect" I use ozone for anymore since I got the UAD-1.  Used to tame the peaks and boost the level a bit.  Pretty sure that at the very least I will not be blamed for smashing the crap out of this song Smile

Mbit+ Dither- self explanitory.

Then I convert from 24bit to 16bit in Audition and there you have it.

I am really looking forward to any comments, suggestions, critisisms from those with more experience (pretty much everyone here I bet).  What a great world we live in where we can have this kind of communication/collaboration!
~Aaron Hall~
www.lucidwaves.com

bobkatz

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 09:34:21 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 07:51

More submissions are being added daily - check them out. And don't forget to post your notes from the session - what you did and why...

I'm waiting for comments on mine before I post my notes. I feel it is important not to prejudice the listener.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

aivoryuk

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 10:32:43 AM »

hi Bob

I liked how your low end was more uncluttered then some so it gave more air to the top end

I would imagine that you would have used more eq on the bottom end to thin this out so the top end is brought out more.

At uni we were told that to make a source sound brighter it was better to cut the lower end more rather than to ad a lot of top end eq.
From hearing your track I don't hear too much artificial top end apart from a bit just to bring out the zing of the acoustic guitar and cymbals.

I could be totally wrong of course.  Smile as i don't know what settings you've used. But I liked it though
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.