R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MCI JH-16 TECH RECOMMENDATIONS?  (Read 1402 times)

ALLEN WRENCH

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MCI JH-16 TECH RECOMMENDATIONS?
« on: May 10, 2005, 10:43:19 PM »

Looks like I’m going to need a bit of help with my 1978 MCI  JH-16  2” 24 track.

MDI-Precision Motor Works is rebuilding my capstan motor and I’d like to get a tech over to show me what’s up with alignment and to survey my machine.

Does anyone have any MCI tech/people they would recommend that are from the Southern California Area?

I live in Riverside.

From a previous post I got a recommendation for Charlie Bolis of Vertigo Recording Services (Sherman Oaks) (818) 907-5161

Any PROFESSIONAL input would be greatly appreciated!

- ALLEN
You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench,  but Dr. Wrench is interested in you.

RKrizman

Re: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MCI JH-16 TECH RECOMMENDATIONS?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 05:18:46 PM »

I'd recommend Charlie as well.

And I'm a perfessional.

-R

David Schober

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »

Was it me who recommended him?  If not...my four cents...

Charlie is the man.  He's worked on that exact machine.  I've known Charlie since he went independent from the old MCA/Whitney Studios.

He's as easy going as it gets...completely professional and first class work.  And he's a great guy and maybe one of the most connected guys in LA.

Also....

When I worked at Schnee's they had (probably still do) two of them and put in a special mod that made the machine sound a good bit better.  Charlie should know about that mod.  If not his old buddy from the MCA days, Mike Wambsgans who now works at Record One might know it.  It's been a long time since that machine was done so I doubt they'd know it off the top of their head, but it's worth asking about.  If you have some decent skills once they showed you how it was done you could do it yourself, card by card.

IMHO that's the only number you need.

Cheers.
David Schober

Bryson

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:56:49 PM »

David Schober wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 17:18

When I worked at Schnee's they had (probably still do) two of them and put in a special mod that made the machine sound a good bit better.  Charlie should know about that mod.  

Weren't they unbalanced/xfrmrs removed (like the rest of his room)?

BTW: I opened this thread to recommend Charlie as well.
He used to do regular maintenance at a room I worked at on Sunset Strip around '92.  We had an MCI. and an Amek Angela that Charlie had built custom mic amps for some of the channels.

David Schober

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 10:19:11 PM »

Don't remember about the unblanced part, but I'm pretty sure the transformers were pulled.  (as well as a bit of other parts)

I've mentioned this before, another major reason why that studio sounds so good is that the ins and outs of all machines go directly to XLR connectors, go under the floor, to where the other end of the wire is soldered directly to the output of the amps.  No multipin connectors anywhere!

That one little principle I believe makes a major difference in the sonic path.  And it's something almost everyone could do.  It was a pain to change machines around, but thankfully that didn't happen that much.  Even still, that's the way I'd do it were I to build a room like that.

In a related issue, anyone ever still do the mod to bypass the top electronics of the ATR 102?  Another cheap, but very cool way to mod the machine.  I've never seen one done here in Nashville.  Used to see it done once in a while in LA.
David Schober
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.