R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 disc sets - 2nd disc starting with track # higher than 1?  (Read 1968 times)

TotalSonic

I had a conversation with an engineer recently who was setting up a 2 disc CD set and he was telling me that he could use an old version of Digi's Masterlist (running on OS9) so that it could start the 2nd disc in the set with a track # higher than 1 (i.e. the 1st disc had 11 tracks - so he was setting up the 2nd discs toc to display track 12 as its first track).  Does anyone know of any other software out there that does this?  (I don't think any of the stuff I have - SAWStudio w/JMS CSG, Nero 6, Sonic Solutions Classic 5.4, Sony CDA5 can do it)
And is it within Red Book spec?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

dcollins

Re: 2 disc sets - 2nd disc starting with track # higher than 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 19:02

Does anyone know of any other software out there that does this?  (I don't think any of the stuff I have - SAWStudio w/JMS CSG, Nero 6, Sonic Solutions Classic 5.4, Sony CDA5 can do it)

Is this possible?  Is there a CD out there that doesn't start with one?  

I wonder...

DC

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 10:28:44 PM »

dcollins wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 03:12

TotalSonic wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 19:02

Does anyone know of any other software out there that does this?  (I don't think any of the stuff I have - SAWStudio w/JMS CSG, Nero 6, Sonic Solutions Classic 5.4, Sony CDA5 can do it)

Is this possible?  Is there a CD out there that doesn't start with one?  

I wonder...

DC

Made me wonder as well!  Europadisk had an inquiry a few years back to set this same kind of thing up for someone and I distinctly remember Don Grossinger - who definitely knows his Sonic - telling me that it couldn't do it.  I think the disc is destined for our plant so I'm very curious to see the Eclipse report on this one to see whether this toc will transfer correctly to replicated discs.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 11:14:52 PM »

I've done it a couple times. It IS in the red book spec but only MLCD could ever do it on the Mac. I just looked and Samplitude also has an entry for setting the first track number.

My understanding is that playing one is a great way to crash a lot of computers.

dcollins

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 11:22:58 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:14

I've done it a couple times. It IS in the red book spec but only MLCD could ever do it on the Mac. I just looked and Samplitude also has an entry for setting the first track number.

My understanding is that playing one is a great way to crash a lot of computers.

Ahh.  

So possible, but not a great idea.  Or a new IP technic, if it only plays on a CDP-101!

DC

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 12:15:30 AM »

Not the strangest request that I've heard, but I can't understand why anyone would want to do it that way. Most two sided media like vinyl albums and cassettes, numbered the songs from 1, per side, but I've seen sides 1-2 on one record and sides 3-4 on the other one, but never individual song numbering spanning different units.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------