R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet sharing and live music  (Read 1128 times)

maxdimario

Internet sharing and live music
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

given all the discussions regarding the future of recorded music, and considering the corporate push to make music unprofitable for those who don't see file-sharing as the future, I was thinking that maybe the evolution of music will be oriented towards live shows.

in 10 years time, through the process of file and knowledge-sharing those who thrive on intellectual propriety (such as songwriting) and recording technique will be forced to share their ideas and works if they want to or not. Knowledge based services will become more in number and with a larger amount of technical information

anything that can be written down in a post will be written down sooner or later.

superstar groups will be replaced by young individuals who grew up with what took years to accumulate up until file sharing.

eventually the individuals who gain web recognition will start to collaborate, since most will be small teams or individual musicians on computers.

when enough recognition occurs and the music reaches popularity, the originator of the music will only have one viable option to make money: begin to work physically in a live situation (until they come up with performing robots).

Some will take their gear along as has been happening with techno artists here in Europe for a few years.

Some will form performing groups.

Really good music has already dissapeared, maybe contact between musicians and other humans will create more competition and better musicians.

everybody has the same possibility to achieve global 'status'  (until the computer companies want to do something about it, I suppose).

I suspect that some artists could even play some selections live, which they would *only* do live to create interest. for example: all new songs only done live for a period of time, until the recording comes out on internet (at which point they'll have new songs).

In a way, most music before the 60's WAS home music, or local music created without anybody's help.  Recording was simply capturing the moment for the most part.

when 'status' artists refuse to record altogether and only do live music, then we will have gone foreward to the 17th century.

maybe internet will eventually re-create a live scene?

ted nightshade

Re: Internet sharing and live music
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 06:45:11 PM »

Original live music ain't paying. We're hoping when we have an album to sell, we will be able to make the record sales pay for the expense of performing live! If recordings don't sell, we'll have to hang it up. There's no money in playing live w/o something to sell, as far as I can tell. Not for an up and coming act, no matter how good.

But, where to sell the records other than at the gig? I'd like to know. I don't care to give the venue a great act for a token fee just so I can have some "distribution". Even if I can make it work for us by vending, we're still rewarding the venue for ripping off the talent.

And the talent is lined up around the block, eager to get ripped off.

And when you see what's out there, it's persistence, sheer sell, and the willingness to do whatever it takes to be gigging, that's out there. That's it. Standards only get in the way. Fitting neatly into a box sells, just enough to keep the carrot in front of the horse. Suckage.

There's plenty of grist for the mill. That's all the mill is interested in. Status quo, status quo.

There ain't a whole lot of incentive to create for-real live and happening original music. I mean really original, not genre cookie-cutter stuff. Plenty, but plenty of that around, and very, very good as far as ultra-competent genre stuff goes. You got to look for it, but it's there.

Really original stuff, I ain't seeing much of.

Van Gogh could be appreciated posthumously. Great live music requires living musicians.

My thought- better do something you can keep doing, and try to live long enough to collect!

Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 19 queries.