R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take me through the Universal Formats  (Read 1409 times)

LawrenceF

Take me through the Universal Formats
« on: April 29, 2005, 03:18:52 PM »

OMF, AAF whatever.

Someone who knows what the formats do please explain.  I don't know what's so difficult about a file (text or binary or XML whatever) spelling out in a sequential fashion how to set up an audio app.  Let's use the following track as an example.

1.  Tempo 92
2.  Track 1 @ 00:02.35 "kick.wav"
3.  EQ band 1 +2db @ 50hz Q 1.3
4.  Etc, etc etc with eq, sends, etc
5.  Fader level -12
6.  Pan center
7.  Start again with Track 2

Why is it so hard for daw mfgs to come up with an export/authoring format which can do this?  Or has it been done already?  I hear people saying that OMF's sometimes don't work etc, etc.  What about AAF?  Is that very reliable and supported across the industry?

Anyone here familiar enough with these authoring formats that can get me into the details?  I should be able to load a mix that's 90% correct from any daw to any other daw using a common, accurate and included (i.e. not $500)import/export format.  

Lawrence

Loco

Re: Take me through the Universal Formats
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 03:40:22 PM »

LawrenceF wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 15:18

1.  Tempo 92
2.  Track 1 @ 00:02.35 "kick.wav"
3.  EQ band 1 +2db @ 50hz Q 1.3
4.  Etc, etc etc with eq, sends, etc
5.  Fader level -12
6.  Pan center
7.  Start again with Track 2

OMF wasn't designed with musicians in mind (neither did PT), so the Tempo info must be carried through a MIDI file. Indeed, they should respect fader and panpots, but I find hard to implement the sends since not all the DAWs handle sends and returns the same way.

As far as EQ and compressors on the inserts... there's a reason why you have different flavors of EQ and Dynamics. They all sound different. Their curves react different. Can't be done.
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.