R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono vs Stereo el. drum hits  (Read 1020 times)

innesireinar

Mono vs Stereo el. drum hits
« on: May 04, 2005, 10:39:04 AM »

Most of the times building an arrangment when choosing some drum hits from drum plugins like Battery etc. there are some sounds that seem in mono even whether they come out from both LR channels, expecially speaking of kicks. Therefore bouncing to disk, then importing the region within this sound I've noticed that choosing only L(or R) region instead of both LR stereo region and rising the level about 3dB higher it's pratically the same. Given that I'm on LE system with 32 audio tracks only, to save a track it's like to find gold.
What do you do in these cases, when you're sure the hit is a mono hit? Do you use both channels or use only one?
Thanx

thedoc

Re: Mono vs Stereo el. drum hits
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 09:36:54 PM »

1.  listen in mono
2.  try the left side alone
3.  try the right side alone
4.  try both sides at once
5.  pick whichever one sounds best (in mono)

If they all sound the same, use either side alone. Smile
Doc

Ronny

Re: Mono vs Stereo el. drum hits
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:44:39 PM »

innesireinar wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 10:39

Most of the times building an arrangment when choosing some drum hits from drum plugins like Battery etc. there are some sounds that seem in mono even whether they come out from both LR channels, expecially speaking of kicks. Therefore bouncing to disk, then importing the region within this sound I've noticed that choosing only L(or R) region instead of both LR stereo region and rising the level about 3dB higher it's pratically the same. Given that I'm on LE system with 32 audio tracks only, to save a track it's like to find gold.
What do you do in these cases, when you're sure the hit is a mono hit? Do you use both channels or use only one?
Thanx

When you center pan either L or R and have to turn it up 3dB, it is most likely a mono recording split to stereo, IOW, one kick mic. The 3dB difference is panning law, so when you do that they are likely the same mono signals going to L and R. If stereo fx were used, the mono recorded kick into an FX processor and out stereo, you may lose some of the depth or whatever the original mix guy intended. To confirm that its mono, reverse phase on either L or R and center pan both channels, if it's mono it will null, if it's stereo effected, all you'll hear is the effects.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------