R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: excellent line level switcher for powered monitors?  (Read 1776 times)

breathe

excellent line level switcher for powered monitors?
« on: May 01, 2005, 07:37:48 PM »

I am aware that there are some good independent monitor sections out there like those made by Coleman and Martinsound, but unless I am mistaken using these means you no longer get to use your mixer's solo buttons which seems silly.  I was wondering if anyone can recommend a line level switcher with like 5 stereo outputs that's really transparent.  On one of the outputs I could connect my amplifier for my passive monitors, which would necessitate using the Switch Witch (?) to select between those.  If anyone also knows of a better design for passive monitor switching than the Switch Witch, please also tell me.  I have lots of monitors and I've been patching them all by hand which is a drag.  I do not own a single pair of monitors for which I have absolute faith in their transparency and translatability.

Thanks,
Nicholas

Brian Roth

Re: excellent line level switcher for powered monitors?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 10:23:58 PM »

Mmmmmm....a rotary switch and some jacks?

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 04:23:41 AM »

breathe wrote on Sun, 01 May 2005 19:37

I am aware that there are some good independent monitor sections out there like those made by Coleman and Martinsound, but unless I am mistaken using these means you no longer get to use your mixer's solo buttons which seems silly.

That would indeed be silly.  Your current console should have a "monitor out", but obviously not enough selections... any of these "outboard" monitor selectors can hook up to the monitor output of your desk, and merely act as a speaker switcher, allowing you gain control from your desk, with the solo function in full effect.

I'm not sure what Martinsound has to offer in this regard but the Coleman "MS6" is a passive switcher [you can hook up active monitors to it or passive monitors with an amp... no problem], with the choice of up to 6 sets of speakers from the outputs of the unit.

Best of luck with the search.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

breathe

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 11:33:26 PM »

I saw the Coleman web page and it looks like the MS6 is actually six stereo inputs to one output.  So there's no problem using it in reverse?  Also, no other box like the Switch Witch (where you feed the outputs of your amp between several sets of passive monitors), maybe with higher fidelity (if it needs to be improved)?

Thanks again,
Nicholas

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 01:23

I'm not sure what Martinsound has to offer in this regard but the Coleman "MS6" is a passive switcher [you can hook up active monitors to it or passive monitors with an amp... no problem], with the choice of up to 6 sets of speakers from the outputs of the unit.

Best of luck with the search.

ted nightshade

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:56:36 PM »

It's not as convenient as I would like, but I turn down my passive attenuator and repatch. Not an instant thing, but it's quite transparent!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Brian Roth

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 02:14:47 AM »

Nicholas...what are the exact combinations of powered and unpowered speakers that you're using?  In the case of the unpowered speakers, are you sharing one common power amp for all sets of speakers (that will require speaker level switching).

Do you require that more than one set of speakers (powered or unpowered) be active at the same time?

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

breathe

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 02:59:59 AM »

I checked with Coleman and he says the 'MS6R' is the one that has stereo in to six stereo outs (switch selectable).  I'll probably get that.  He also said using a device such as the 'Switch Witch' for sending a power amp to a variety of unpowered speakers is a bad idea both for the amp and the speakers.  I hadn't heard of that, but I'd rather not buy an amp for every set up unpowered speakers I might own.  That being said, I feel pretty happy with the Alesis amp I'm using, and could buy more as they're cheap.  When I move up to a Bryston or something the Switch Witch would definitely come in handy.  I would only being using one set of speakers at a time.

Thanks,
Nicholas

Brian Roth wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 23:14

Nicholas...what are the exact combinations of powered and unpowered speakers that you're using?  In the case of the unpowered speakers, are you sharing one common power amp for all sets of speakers (that will require speaker level switching).

Do you require that more than one set of speakers (powered or unpowered) be active at the same time?

Bri

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.