R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Davisound.....what is the deal?  (Read 3487 times)

eligit

Davisound.....what is the deal?
« on: March 31, 2005, 09:53:24 PM »

are these good pres?  or is this guy nuts?  or both.
tried this elsewhere (read gearslutz) and got a couple leads, anyone here use one of these things?

edit (next day):

"sigh"

as i suspected nobody has used these things. i wonder how good the sound is?

Joel Hamilton

Re: Davisound.....what is the deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:51:42 PM »

Hayne Davis is a great guy. I have a "TB2" compressor. I asked for VU's on it, and they now sell that model as a "TB2 custom."

I really like the line amps in the thing. I like it as a compressor as well, but the line amps are pretty rocking.

I like esoteric gear, and I took a chance on one of these pieces, and I really like it. It is a part of the vocal chain under many circumstances, even with a TON of other great choices around...

http://www.vsa.cape.com/~twreck

http://www.studiogbrooklyn.com
( have worked with: Elvis Costello,Tom Waits, Unsane, Frank Black, Ludacris, Sparklehorse.... and more....)

Eliott James

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 09:24:26 AM »

Hayne Davis is for real about his equipment. I've owned his mic pres and they sound great. Clear and present. His small goose neck mic is very good too.

What you have to understand is that he builds to order so you won't get the gear right away. It could easily take months.

Check him out.

http://www.davisound.com

Joe Crawford

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 06:27:44 PM »

I have had one of his TB-6s (4 channel mic pre’s) for the last 2 ½ years.  As far as a clean, no color, no noise, no distortion pre it would be hard to beat.  Per channel it’s half the price of the Grace 101’s (I have two) and (at least) equally as clean.  If I had to criticize anything about it, the 60hz noise is a little higher than the Grace (the Grace uses a brick and the TB-6 has an internal supply), and the gain adjustment takes a little getting use to.  But in the type of music I normally do (Old Time, Bluegrass, folk, etc.) it does the job quite well.

Joe Crawford
Stony Mountain Studio
Shanks, WV 26761  

eligit

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 08:37:15 PM »

Joe Crawford wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 23:27

I have had one of his TB-6s (4 channel mic pre’s) for the last 2 ½ years.  As far as a clean, no color, no noise, no distortion pre it would be hard to beat.  Per channel it’s half the price of the Grace 101’s (I have two) and (at least) equally as clean.  If I had to criticize anything about it, the 60hz noise is a little higher than the Grace (the Grace uses a brick and the TB-6 has an internal supply), and the gain adjustment takes a little getting use to.  But in the type of music I normally do (Old Time, Bluegrass, folk, etc.) it does the job quite well.

Joe Crawford
Stony Mountain Studio
Shanks, WV 26761  

thanks for the info.  do you see this box as essentially interchangeable w/ the grace pre?  over all.

Joe Crawford

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 10:46:45 AM »

Eligit – It’s been close to three years since I ran comparison tests between the TB-6 and the Grace 101 so please excuse me if I’m a little fuzzy about the differences.  From what I do remember besides a slightly higher 60Hz noise floor (still negligible but on the scope), there may have been a maximum gain difference between them (I believe the TB-6 may have been lower).  However, since I haven’t had a reason to run the TB-6 at over about 50% gain (on the dial) since then I wouldn’t swear I’m correct in this.  As far as your original question goes, I pretty much use them interchangeably.  Which ever one is easier to cable up at that time is selected.

Joe Crawford

eligit

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 06:00:40 PM »

thanks for the info!

Rane

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:59:35 PM »

I have a tb6 also and can attest to it being an awesome pre amp. I am actually leaving the country and I have to sell basically everything I own. If you or anyone is interested in purchasing it let me know. It has been in my rack since purchase. If anyone would like to buy from me it would save you the long wait associated with purchasing directly through davisound.
Rane
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.