R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Mixes Too Bassy in car.. but sound fine other systems.. any advice?  (Read 10722 times)

Trillium Sound

• Real Full Name: Richard Addison

I agree with Steve there at 100%. Who cares if it sounds good in the studio if there is too much bass in the outside world ??

Richard
Trillium Sound Studio
http://www.trilliumsound.com
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Tel.:438-390-2236

electrical

trilliumsound wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 11:23

I agree with Steve there at 100%. Who cares if it sounds good in the studio if there is too much bass in the outside world ??

Richard

What we're talking about is something that (apparently) only sounds bad when played in a couple of particular cars. That is not the "outside world," that's a couple of cars.

Given a choice, I think it is wiser to listen to the speakers in a controlled environment and make decisions there, and just accept that there may be a car or two where it won't sound as good.

There will be plenty of proper listening environments where it will sound as good, and I think those are more important. Unless you intend to make car-only music for a particular car, in which case you should mix in the car.

I also think the shock of hearing something in a different environment can be disorienting and disquieting, and should not be given too much consideration. All those records that do sound good in the car, are you as familiar and as attached to their original masters as you are with these "problem" songs? No, you've probably never spent hours listening to and adjusting those original masters in a controlled environment and then immediately listened to them in your car in order to make them "sound bad" there.

Fuck the car. The car is a random element. The car probably has a tone control, so turn the bass down if you want to listen to it there, but don't let your car override the careful decisions you make in a controlled environment.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Trillium Sound

Well, it does not seems that he has a controlled environment ! If all the cd sounds good in my $29.99 boom box and my mix sound too boomy, am I going to buy a $3,000 boom box to make my mix sound better ??
Trillium Sound Studio
Montreal, Qc, Canada

electrical

trilliumsound wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 12:15

Well, it does not seems that he has a controlled environment ! If all the cd sounds good in my $29.99 boom box and my mix sound too boomy, am I going to buy a $3,000 boom box to make my mix sound better ??

Why do you care so much about this particular boom box? Do you think that specific boom box is what will be used by the rest of the world to listen to it?
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Trillium Sound

Steve,

I know what you are saying and I do not care if it is boom box, car or whatever. I really think that if his mix is too boomy or have too much bass, there is too much of it, that's it. I know that  a car stereo is not accurate to get your final decision out of a mix but if everything sounds decent in your car except your mix then there is something wrong with your mix. Even if it sounds like a Billion Bucks in your studio Room, there is something wrong with the mix because of the monitoring is not translating what is really.

Regards,

Richard

Trillium Sound Studio
Montreal, Qc, Canada

electrical

trilliumsound wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 13:43

Steve,

I know what you are saying and I do not care if it is boom box, car or whatever. I really think that if his mix is too boomy or have too much bass, there is too much of it, that's it. I know that  a car stereo is not accurate to get your final decision out of a mix but if everything sounds decent in your car except your mix then there is something wrong with your mix. Even if it sounds like a Billion Bucks in your studio Room, there is something wrong with the mix because of the monitoring is not translating what is really.

And a car or a boombox is "translating" better than a monitoring system designed to do just that? A car, a boombox, any boombox is "better?"

Hooey.

If your car or boombox makes your mix sound too bassy, then it makes everything too bassy, it just doesn't bother you with other things because you're not attached to them in the same way.

Ignore the car. Ignore the boombox. They're chimerical "standards" that aren't likely to be duplicated anywhere else. Ignore them.

If you think it sounds good in your studio, then at least you know it sounds good. If you try to make it a little less good, in a way you hope will please your car or your boombox, then you're making the whole process more intellectual and less responsive to reality. Trust what you hear and decide is right.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

PP

JackJohnston

You might be adding a lot of extra bass to the mix to try to get the Event monitors to sound more balanced. They are on the bright side aren't they? I seem to recall hearing them and thinking that they were horribly thin.

Jack
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.