R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "mastering" for the toasted musician, post-show?  (Read 4244 times)

ted nightshade

Re: "mastering" for the toasted musician, post-show?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 10:08:48 AM »

I can see how some visual editing would be a lot faster...
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

genericperson

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 11:21:01 PM »

Cranesong STC-8 has pretty insane squash-before-obvious qualities.  That's what I'd use.  Not that I'm established or anything.

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 08:12:31 AM »

GoobAudio wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 09:04

Interestingly Clearchannel, the folks responsible for ruining the pop music industry, has patented that idea and you may get sued by them if you do it.

How ridiculous is this?  I would certainly like to see this "patent" (BGP or CC) tested in court!  How can they stop YOU from selling YOUR MUSIC which YOU record at YOUR SHOW, just because of a common process that ANYONE with a small amount of consumer gear could perform?

Ugh...

bblackwood

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 07:12

Interestingly Clearchannel, the folks responsible for ruining the pop music industry, has patented that idea and you may get sued by them if you do it.

How ridiculous is this?  I would certainly like to see this "patent" (BGP or CC) tested in court!  How can they stop YOU from selling YOUR MUSIC which YOU record at YOUR SHOW, just because of a common process that ANYONE with a small amount of consumer gear could perform?

Ugh...

They're counting on the fact that you won't want to fight them in court...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ted nightshade

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 09:08:29 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 05:18

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 07:12

Ugh...

They're counting on the fact that you won't want to fight them in court...

This is standard practice- I saw where some CA city is paying Enron half of the many millions Enron is suing for, because the city dropped the Enron contract just because Enron turned out to be complete crooks. The city would rather take half a bloody beating than risk taking the whole beating in court. Frightening.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2005, 07:35:12 PM »

I tried to do this before...back in 1999 or so...even went so far as to do it for an acoustic act where I'd announce "sally at table 28 bought a CD!" and have it burned onto the disc for sally to pick up at the end of the show...a lounge/dinner type venue.  

Having filed several patents, I can say that a "utility patent" can protect a process or item of manufacture, but not a "marketing concept."  Since patents run out after 17 years, my guess is that either the patent will expire, or ClearChannel will *truly* develop the art and create a de-facto standard, just as Sony, Panasonic, etc. have tried to do...in this case it will be a "process..." because it will be proprietary.  But an artist devising "his/her OWN way" of duplicating the CD, and selling it, is good PR and merchandising, but the technical details are quite amorphous.  

In all, it is an exciting opportunity for musicians to merchandise...and not a bad example of "just in time manufacturing," which has replaced inventories (which used to be considered an asset but now are shifting towards the liability side).  To my knowledge, no one holds the patent on "just in time manufacturing."  I would have to laugh if they did...  and I think CC would have a heck of a time fighting the Boeing Corporation, General Motors, and most every manufacturing company in the world.  

I have not read the CC patent, but if anyone can find the link to it, I'd be interested to read it over...

MW

ted nightshade

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 10:42:18 AM »

My World wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005

Having filed several patents, I can say that a "utility patent" can protect a process or item of manufacture, but not a "marketing concept."  Since patents run out after 17 years, my guess is that either the patent will expire, or ClearChannel will *truly* develop the art and create a de-facto standard, just as Sony, Panasonic, etc. have tried to do...in this case it will be a "process..." because it will be proprietary.  But an artist devising "his/her OWN way" of duplicating the CD, and selling it, is good PR and merchandising, but the technical details are quite amorphous.  

I'll be very surprised if Clear Channel develops this as a one-mic technique with no mixdown!

Quote:

In all, it is an exciting opportunity for musicians to merchandise...and not a bad example of "just in time manufacturing," which has replaced inventories (which used to be considered an asset but now are shifting towards the liability side).  

Yeah, I got to say the inventory going moldy in the warehouse is a pretty scary prospect. And inevitably involves a lot of waste. I can see "just in time manufacturing" as a way to use resources far less speculatively.

Fascinating thought!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 16 queries.