R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A cool exersize of skills and opinions.  (Read 8157 times)

Lee Tyler

Re: A cool exersize of skills and opinions.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 04:38:45 PM »

chrisj wrote on Thu, 28 April 2005 16:05

Hey, it's a valid approach- your take on it did not sound anything like bad. I'm only saying that at least for me and Lee, what we got seemed like 'the worse' already, and screamed 'change me radically'. I didn't percieve that as mix decisions, it sounded to me like a relatively normal mix that had been dubbed onto cassettes 1000 times with the azimuth off. I understand that this changed it a lot, and if it was meant to sound like that, woopsy  Twisted Evil

I'm all the more interested to see what Bill does, now. Does he go minimalist and treat the presentation as a set of mix choices, or does he do what me and Lee did, decide that it's a drum machine, bass, DX7 or something and voice- that he knows what those sound like- and break out the chainsaws and oxyacetylene torches to render the thing in a wildly different way?

That's certainly what I was doing when I chose to EQ that radically (had to be 20 db of notch in a narrow spot in the midbass) and apply the expansion stuff. I was like 'this is a drum box, and a keyboard, and I know what this stuff sounds like' and I tried to dig that out from the mud of the source.

Makes me wonder what would happen if we got some other posters to try their hands on this. Would they try to smooth the grunge out of the existing presentation, or re-imagine it into something more characteristic of them? In particular I'm curious how it strikes Brad, because the way the mud is shoveled onto this, it's like the Anti-Brad, it really is. Not only is it massive mud and no definition, it's phasey as hell and just about the opposite of his sound in every way. What would he do? I could see his take being closer to Lee's than mine or yours (Lee got some good clarity there), but without anything comby about it- but some of that is in the recording itself and has to be removed. Hmmmm...

Bill? Same goes for you- are you preserving the presentation of this track like it was intentional, or are you treating it like it's covered with a ton of mud and making it strikingly different?

Hi Chris. You and all of the other dudes here have WAY more experience/equipment/audio savvy than I will probably ever have, so I want to ask you guys a question regarding "phase". I know what phase is and how it sounds, but with a simple, rudimentary audio-editing program like Adobe Audition, how would one adjust the phase on the bass alone? I would imagine I would have to make a copy of the original track, make a sub-track with a proper low-freq range, and adjust the alignment of the left and right tracks to "sit right"??? I have no idea, really. And in regards to what I personally did to try to improve this presentation? After like 20 "fixes", I am truely clueless!  Shocked It is like I went into the ocean to refresh myself, swam about somewhat aimlessly, and then came back to shore kinda refreshed. Confused  Rolling Eyes

Lee
Nurse to doctor: "Doctor, there is a man in the waiting room who thinks he's invisible".

Doctor to nurse: "Nurse, tell him I can't see him"

chrisj

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 06:09:33 PM »

I'm not sure how you'd do it in Adobe Audition. There are quite a few issues going on here that can be referred to as 'phase'.

The way I manipulated the highs changed phase relationships because I had stuff split into different frequency ranges and moved the highs forward in time relative to the mids. If you had a frequency that was covering both ranges, one band would have it oscillating normally but due to the shift in time domain the other band would have the frequency shifted forward in its oscillation- so when the one was crossing zero, the other might be peaking out. That would be 180 degrees of phase alteration.
(edit- no, 90 degrees, nimrod- 180 degrees would be negative to positive peak)

With regard to the bass, what Bill was talking about is that when one woofer is moving out, the other isn't necessarily matching it- they are sort of fighting each other. I don't know why he says it's 270 degrees wide- perhaps he's measuring somehow that the same bass guitar waveform is nearly a whole cycle delayed on one channel, but one cycle at what frequency?

I will say this- all this phasey stereo hoo-hah is making me want to set up my software with _stereo_ group delay hackery. I'm like, 'wait a minute, what if I did have the bass band come out with different adjustments for right and left?'. Sounds like a reasonable enough suggestion, and I'd like to be typing in the delays as numbers- I have 'em on a slider and it's a bit vague. If I did that, I could change the phaseyness significantly. Whether that is desirable is an entirely different question Smile

Level

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 06:15:41 PM »

Here is mine..for fairness, taken directly off the mp3 from this post.

I will explain; after everyone does a comparison.

I am not saying who is best here..it is for comparisons. You all decide.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Cary Holding

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »

I'll play along.
Cary

Level

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 08:28:55 PM »

Here they all are, in order, Starting with original, Allen, Chris, Lee, Myself, Cary

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

chrisj

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 09:24:36 PM »

Right, comparisons 'r us. In the order given:
Original. Dead

Allen: better controlled, pretty dull like the original, Bassdrum sort of rumbles interestingly, I like that. Vocal sounds very similar to the original.

Chris: apparently I like drum machines, because I contrived to have it much more present. Vocal is way more spotlit, but without sibilance getting out of control. Sort of grainy, thanks to all the treble boost. Sounds a bit like it was re-recorded, so great is the alteration. I still like it Very Happy

Lee: hey, shaker! Voice is sort of weird as it's got roundness but a real tizzy edge. I like the bassdrum better than on mine- partly because I took away the reverb from behind it to make it more focussed. You can always have more bright than the next guy but it does tend to make things too upfront. I sympathise with this version completely. Brothers in bright Wink

Bill: I'm really liking the rimshot. I'm really liking the bassdrum. I don't think anyone got a version that's better behaved than this- but it freaks me out how distant it sounds. Is that really what this guy was trying to do? I know that my and Lee's version must be hurting you over the tweeters-center Yamaha uberspeakers, but what you're doing isn't translating to my rig, and my rig is not exactly treble-shy. That said- my version and yours are doing something similar with the bassdrum there. What are you doing to make that happen?

Cary: I like the overall frequency balance here- like Allen's version, this is making the sloppiness of the original recording behave, without doing anything radical to the sound.

Very interesting. I guess my question now is: what did you mean by bass phase, Bill, and whatcha do? I know I mid/side EQed really radically, and then got medieval with group delay, roughly like this:
0-300hz, delayed very slightly
300-1K or so, forward a bit
1K-10K, baseline
10K+, forward even more

Since you got similar behavior off the bassdrum and all, how'd you adjust these things? Your methods would probably translate better for other people since I hadda write software to do it. I'd say whatever it was, it's worth doing.

Lee Tyler

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 10:31:32 PM »

I must admit there is a honky thang' going on vocal-wise in my attempt that "forced" me to drop a few db centered around 283hz with a Q of 3. Now I can live with myself. I will leave the old version there for now.  Rolling Eyes  

Lee
Nurse to doctor: "Doctor, there is a man in the waiting room who thinks he's invisible".

Doctor to nurse: "Nurse, tell him I can't see him"

Level

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 10:32:59 PM »

Being very busy..and not reading your last post Chris, think DVD soundtrack response. I am at liberty (due to content) to post a modern set of snips of a modern soundtrack balance.

(Editing of a movie I worked on)

More later...I am in heavy editing now..taking 5 to catch the thread...but I am on an 18 hour day..so I got to keep commitments..and will travel back here when I can..

PS..Chris, this was cut from a CD of the original tape. For all that participated to date, I will provide whole song so you see where it goes..

Sorry so tied up.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

HansP

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 10:44:38 PM »

here we are
I like the results of crh and ajc.

I did not phase shift the lower mid+high bass to get the upright bass sound ok, this was done by the others quite well. but it is working with mono switch, sounds much clearer than the original, and distortion is tamed in spite of the brightness enhancement.

ah FYI- in the source, the left channel is ~3 samples late..
and I think we are beating a dead horse here but its fascinating to learn and practise.
an AI algorithm could do some more about the distortion, it needs to model the dolby behavior to get down to a reliable transfer curve (histogram inversion etc).

Level

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 12:41:51 AM »

Sound sweet hans...remember, movie context...level lower will give a different frequency layout..on your buss..

Study movie soundtrack level, not pop music nor cd.

See if that affords you more depth.

back to work here.../w me

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Level

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 12:48:10 AM »

Movie level, this is hot for it.

Notice eq curve, clean and not brassy, round.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Ronny

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 01:36:19 AM »

Not sure what you guys are trying to do here, I didn't know it was mastering for film when I read the posts a half hour ago. Anyway here's another version.

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------