R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about SR/ Bit depth conversion in the Masterlink  (Read 3622 times)

zulusound

Question about SR/ Bit depth conversion in the Masterlink
« on: April 22, 2005, 02:09:34 PM »

Greetings,
If I am (in the end) delivering a 16 bit/ 44.1 replication master on CD from an Alesis Masterlink..  

Should I
A: mix to the ML at 24/96, then burn a redbook 16/44.1
or
B: initially mix to 16/44.1 so the ML doesn't have to crunch any numbers?  

Thanks.

ted nightshade

Re: Question about SR/ Bit depth conversion in the Masterlink
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »

zulusound wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 11:09

Greetings,
If I am (in the end) delivering a 16 bit/ 44.1 replication master on CD from an Alesis Masterlink..  

Should I
or

Thanks.

If you have to use the SRC and dither on the Masterlink, I would mix straight to 44.1.

If the CD you are burning is really a replication master, and will definitely receive no further mastering, do it at 16 bit.

If you want to be able to do further mastering of any kind, even a gain change, do it at 24 bit.

The dither on the Masterlink is not too bad, but not really that good either. The SRC is pretty rough though. I would especially avoid the SRC, and the rest of the DSP as well, including gain changes.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

bblackwood

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 07:48:02 PM »

Avoid the Masterlink's SRC at all costs. It sucks beyond belief.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bobkatz

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »

zulusound wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 14:09

Greetings,

Should I
or

Thanks.

The Masterlink has no dither, just some noiseshaping and some pseudo-mastering algorithms that are not particularly good. So, soundwise, you're better off preparing everything externally at 4416 properly and then feeding the ML. But why are you using the Masterlink at all to cut a replication master? If there's a computer involved in the first place, then you probably have better tools available on your computer to cut a replication-ready master.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Ed Littman

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:54:32 PM »

ted nightshade wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 15:59

The dither on the Masterlink is not too bad, but not really that good either.

before mine smoked up a few years back it only used noise shaping & had no dither. Has dither been added since a few years ago?
Ed

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 11:10:42 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 19:52

zulusound wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 14:09

Greetings,

Should I
or

Thanks.

The Masterlink has no dither, just some noiseshaping and some pseudo-mastering algorithms that are not particularly good. So, soundwise, you're better off preparing everything externally at 4416 properly and then feeding the ML. But why are you using the Masterlink at all to cut a replication master? If there's a computer involved in the first place, then you probably have better tools available on your computer to cut a replication-ready master.

BK

Bob, if it doesn't have dither and it has noise shaping, than what exactly is it that you are noise shaping. Are you positive that it doesn't dither the 24 to 16 bit reduction? This just doesn't compute for some reason with me. Maybe it dithers, but only has one type of dither, no user choices on dither type, but a choice of noise shaping the stock dither.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bobkatz

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 05:55:59 AM »

Ronny wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 23:10

Bob, if it doesn't have dither and it has noise shaping, than what exactly is it that you are noise shaping. Are you positive that it doesn't dither the 24 to 16 bit reduction?

The DSP in the Masterlink is extremely primitive. They don't have enough MIPs to do anything very well. So they may have cut corners. There is absolutely nothing in the Masterlink manual about dither, last I looked.

Ask George M about his attempts to design an equalizer for the Masterlink until he discovered the MIPs budget they could give him.

It is possible to noise shape a signal without dithering it. It just doesn't sound very good because you get noise modulation. I invented a simple noiseshaping algorithm that digidesign used for a while until they added dither, way back in the Sound Designer II days. Maybe it gave us 1/2 a bit to 1 bit additional resolution.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ted nightshade

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 08:58:40 AM »

All I know is, the damage is real but not too appalling when going from 24 to 16 on the Mlink. I wouldn't care to do that on a replication master.
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

Ronny

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 10:30:49 PM »

Quote:

title=bobkatz wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 05:55The DSP in the Masterlink is extremely primitive. They don't have enough MIPs to do anything very well. So they may have cut corners. There is absolutely nothing in the Masterlink manual about dither, last I looked.

That doesn't mean that dither isn't applied on bit reduction without giving user options. It's more likely that they dither the reduction than not. The ML may not be the most ingenious device created, but Alesis aren't new kids on the block WRT, digital technology, besides eliminating dither as a cost cutter would probably be one of the last things that they'd do. I wouldn't assume that just because there are no user dither options that they are truncating the 24 to 16 bit reduction without it.

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------