R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the REAL scoop on the yamaha PM1000 pre's?  (Read 19236 times)

floodstage

Re: What's the REAL scoop on the yamaha PM1000 pre's?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 10:52:16 PM »

If you have the time and inclination, please post a pic of that channel strip.  Thanks!

bounce

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 11:27:20 PM »

i'll try to do that. it's not all pretty and refined looking at this point but with a new faceplate it'll be purdy ; ) i'll try to get a shot of the guts as well...

mckay
McKay Garner
Bounce Inventive Audio
Los Angeles

mig27

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 07:15:46 AM »

I was really lucky and scored a mint PM1000 for $300.00 "buy it now" at eBay germany.
Have had it for a month now and can only chime in to all the raves.
It really holds up next to my beloved vintage Studer 189 Mk II - and that means something...

My 2 euro-cents.

Michael

axisdreamer

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 07:11:09 AM »

I have some pm1000 modules for sale if anyone is interested.Also have buss modules.I'm building a custom console of these and have extra of everything.PM me for pm1000 parts!

Thanks! Razz  

Vertigo

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 01:15:04 PM »

[edit]

Oops... Was supposed to be a PM.

-Lance

andre t

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 05:19:26 PM »

Maybe it's a stupid question...

A couple of days ago I found a Yamaha 2404 board, that looks a lot like the PM-1000 (as far as I could see on the pictures). Do they share anything else than the looks?\

Thanks a lot,

andr

josh

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 08:18:12 AM »

andre t wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 22:19

Yamaha 2404 board, that looks a lot like the PM-1000 (as far as I could see on the pictures). Do they share anything else than the looks?

No.

Although that doesn't mean the 2404 is not worth looking into.  I don't know anything about it.  Yamaha PM2000, PM3000 are also different from PM1000 in important ways (nearly every way really) but are reported to sound good.

Or put differently:  dollar for dollar, my guess is the old Yamaha stuff will blow away Mackie & clones (Behringer/Nady/Samson/etc.).

jason spartz

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2005, 08:39:38 AM »

I have a PM-2000 desk and it sounds great.  I am in the process of racking a pair of PM-1000 channels for remote recording.  

As for the 2404, I have used it for live sound and found that it does not have much for head room.  It is full of IC's that could be upgraded I guess.  Overall I think it is in a different class from the PM-1000 and PM-2000 for sound.  

You might think otherwise, Good luck.

Jason

andre t

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 08:27:37 AM »

Thanks a lot guys, I was almost buying a beast that wouldn't do much for me!

Andr

josh

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2005, 03:55:27 PM »

so we got the control room and booth up and running (still hanging drywall in the tracking room) over at the Olive Tree...  The desk is a three-part affair with a RAMSA DA7, my 16ch's of PM1000 strips, a computer workspace and of course rack gear including a Drawmer 1960.

The guy who combined studios with us to make this happen, and brought in the DA7 and the Drawmer, made a guitar amp recording the other day for the first time with the PM1k strip and an SM57.

When I saw him a few hours later his eyes were as big as quarters and he said "dude, I can't WAIT to get that Yamaha on a drum kit!"

says it's the first time he's gotten a usable (and in this case, quite good) recording out of that amp using a mic (Line6 Flextone2).

I don't have much else to compare it to, but IMHO they rock.

I was listening to Jaco Pastorious record the other day, then Blues Brothers soundtrack.  That laid-back, airy kind of motown sound like on the Blues Brothers soundtrack and Jaco records is what the PM1k sounds like.

Sound Surfer

Re: Yamaha PM1000 - Shame on me!
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 08:22:43 AM »

Hello to all,

I picked up a PM1000 for $500 (canadian) 5 years ago. To be honest I am pleased and a little shamed by the superlatives flying around the forum on this console. I have been emphasizing digital in my recording process. The PM1000 has been used largely to extend the reach of my cabling into the next room. I have noticed that it has powerful gain. I rarely push it above 7 and generally just use the Master I/O section (4). My Mac DAW has been carrying the load, (and giving me headaches) for all this time. I also own a Scully 284 (1" tape) machine that has been gathering dust.

I have been resisting the allure of this 8-track machine mostly due to staggering ignorance on my part. I had it in storage for about 2 years and when I tried playback with it, I discovered that I could not find the "dummy plug" and the remote seems to be  totally fugged. I did search around for a manual, and finally scored a copy from a gracious studio owner. Alas, the manual did not "enlighten me" as to how to address the missing dummy plug. I could not even figure out where it is supposed to be. Not anxious to grow my first ulcer, I focussed my attentions elsewhere.

The PM1000 will be receiving more attention from me in the near future. I have followed the-EQ-belongs-to-the-mixing-process rule for much of this time.  Embarassed If anyone has some tips on "vintage analog" resources and expertise I would love to hear from you!

-Sound Surfer

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.