R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: questions for you  (Read 1424 times)

emericaskater

questions for you
« on: July 11, 2005, 09:12:30 PM »

iam new to these forums and they are so confusing. so please don't get mad if iam posting in the wrong spot.

would using your PA as monitors be a good idea or should i get actual monitors. (i take a instrument cord and run it from the firepods head phone jack to the PA's 1/4in input.)

also what are some good recording magazines?

i have more questons but i can't think of them right now, ill post later

-kyle

Bob Thing

Re: questons for you
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 09:50:49 AM »

The only recording magazine I read on a regular basis is TapeOp.  Go to www.tapeop.com and you can sign up for a free subscription.  The TapeOp forums are pretty great too, when they're working.  They've been having a lot of problems lately, and they're down again right now.  I guess when you give your magazine away for free, you don't have a lot of money to put into your servers.

Regarding PA speakers as monitors, not such a great idea.  They're just not built for that.  They're made for making things sound loud, not necessarily good--at least not the kind of good you need when mixing.

From your questions, it looks like you're pretty new to this.  Best advice I can give you is read a lot, but keep in mind that making music is ultimately about listening.  These forums (and others) can give you some great ideas and maybe point you in some helpful directions, but don't let them form the basis of your thinking.  Just like you can't learn to drive a car by reading about it, you have to start making music in order to get good at it.

Also, don't let someone's opinion about a particular technique or piece of equipment lead you to believe that it's the "best" way to acheive a sound.  Experiment.  You might just come up with some cool new recording technique that no one has thought to try before.

And feel free to totally disregard this post, too.  I'm just another internet yahoo giving advice.

hargerst

Re: questons for you
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 11:24:30 AM »

Yes, you can use your PA if you have to, but as Bob said, it's not a good way to go.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.