R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rates gone awry? (was 'Rate survey')  (Read 5970 times)

Level

Re: Rate Survey
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 01:26:59 AM »

I hope that pic is distorted if that is a 19" rack piece..

Last time I checked, I was 28" across the shoulders....

Well...I am less than 300lb though....
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

jackthebear

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 03:04:41 AM »

Ronny wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 02:22

Brian, you are definitely one of the most articulate members of this group. Your posts are always well written and thought out, filled with detail that leaves little question to the reader. I think that you are great at communicating your mechanical thoughts. Tony is a very well respected member of the mastering community, adds quite a bit of hands on knowledge himself and is a great guy on a personal level. We all learn from each other, but when you fellows argue about non audio personal comments it's not helping anyone to improve themselves in the engineering department. I don't see where Tony is trying to fight with you and maybe just a lack of communication here, but let's cool it ok, or if not, IMHO, you guys should take it off list where the rest of us don't have to see it.

Hey Ronny,

Thanks for the props but MOI....."respected"????...THAT'S funny!!!!!

I'm not a guy who likes to pick fights but for the record I will call people out. I have called Bill and Jay here but it didn't escalate into anything. People sometimes are just too passive and accept things said that need to be questioned from time to time. I'm happy to be placed under the same scrutiny. I'm careful with my posts and pick my mark carefully. Most people here are novices and DIYers looking for looking for some good info. And with Brian here they are also getting some comedy relief. lol:

I did notice some drivel posted by Brian that I will respond to and it will be my final one dirtected towards him and his lexicon here.

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

jackthebear

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 04:01:28 AM »

lucey wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 13:37

jackthebear wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 21:43

I never took any of this personally. I just questioned someone like yourself (who masters part time and pontificates so much), how do you justify such a ridiculous rate? I'm sorry Brian but it is given the tools at your disposal.

It's as simple as that. No intention to hurt your feelings....just posing the question. I guess it touched a raw nerve. I apologize for that. You offered me an excuse and I'll accept that.

Happy trails and I appreciate your retraction.

Best to you.

No raw nerves, no feelings hurt, no honest retraction.  

And no need for you to waffle and apologise!  Either you meant it or you didnt.

WHAT!!!!!????? YOU HAVEN"T WORKED IT OUT YET?????

Quote:

Yet you're right about one thing, this is not personal, it's professional.  One in the field has called out another, not with a "question" as you assert but with a criticism and a challenge.  And I'd respond to attacks of principle of much smaller scale.

For starters, pontificating is the province of the confident, the open, the experienced, the caring and the sincere ... I'm sorry you're not in the pontificators club.  The world could probably use you.  To me the pontificators are the only ones worth listening to, not the skeptics, pessimists or even the armchair quarterbacks like yourself.  So with apologies for defending my pricing and past pontificating against these fear-based and immature attacks in what may seem 'personal' to some, I'll pontificate some more here:

AHA!!!!!! DICTIONARY.COM!!!! TODAY'S WORD IS CONDESCENDING......ANY IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS?????

Quote:

A basic lesson in Economics ...  Supply and Demand.

I'm new to this field as compared to Bob Ludwig or Ted Jensen and live in the Midwest, 30 minutes from a moderately sized city with lots of poor musicians in it and with no record companies nearby.  So what would you do?

DUNNO.....YOU"RE THE EXPERT CHUM!!!

Quote:

The supposedly "ridiculous rate" I charge is plenty for my lifestyle, and it's not chump change.  $750 is a lot of money to many artists, and if it's not, then $1500 is better for me and still fair for them.  $4000/month is a lot of money for anyone I know well to make. $4000/week is a ton of money ... it's lawyer money ... contractor money ... damn near blood money, in my world.

WEAR SOME PROTECTIVE GLOVES......HIV IS A KILLER!!!!

Quote:

Anyway ... my goal is music, not money.  What's yours?

RIGHT NOW???? MAKING YOUR BLOOD BOIL!!! BWOOOAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Quote:

-----
As for the studio ... the gear is my own choice, because my ears are good and my taste is high.  I need a tool or two to solve every potential problem and I almost have that now.  The studio gear has nothing to do with my prices however ... the pricing is based on my newness to a crowded field and based on the clients needs.   Remember your mantra "please the client?"    Well, live up to it, eh? And stop knocking someone who aims to please in a regard that you find threatening.

OH PULEEEEEZZ!!!! YOU FUNNY BOY!!!!!!!

Quote:

I have set a nice table and the diners are coming.  Actually the price is of no consequence to me as long as it seems fair.  I love to master music and would do it for free if the world was different.  OTOH if I'm not charging a little more in 10 and 20 years something is probably wrong, or I've moved on to other things.

WELL KEEP ON GOING PAL.....RIGHT INTO THE SUNSET!!!

Quote:

You know Steve Albini still makes his 1990 day rate more or less ... are you gonna knock him for being too cheap?  And for not taking points?  Come on tough guy, let's see you knock an iconic figure for being "too cheap."

SO YOU'RE AN ICON NOW????

Quote:

-----
In my world, of talented and struggling artists, musicians and crafts people, I'm seen as rich.  I have acreage, stocks, a beautiful family with a cute dog, a great studio and a 13 yr old 214,000 mi. convertible Porsche.  I eat well, have my health and work part time in 3 fields ... setting my own schedule, everyday.

METALANGUAGE FOR "I OWE A LOT"!!! I CAN EXTEND YOU A SMALL LOAN.....SAY $500K???

Quote:

Does my flexibility piss you off?  Why not appreciate it?

Ironically many of my old friends think I'm too rich for them and my new web pals think I'm too cheap?  Joy, joy.    But enough about me, I'm fine.  It's you Tony that needs a lesson here.

I"M ALL EARS KYOSHI !!!!!!

Quote:

You sir are clearly a hypocrite and I find the irony of your supposedly intelligent and well considered criticism of my rates hilariously without integrity, as you spent many posts on Gearslutz defending the B- mix/masters from AJ as his own subjective preference, and you defended at length his desire to not master these mixes.   To do it while mixing, actually.

YOU CALLING ME "SIR"??? THEM'S FIGHTIN" WORDS!!!!
Quote:

How are my supposedly "too cheap" rates and his unique approach any different to you?  Why not defend my unique and subjective choice as well as his?

Fact it that my rate, and ANYONES rate for that matter, is the ultimate in subjective preference. Period. End of story.

GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY!!! YER KILLIN" ME!!

Quote:

So off with your hidden fears and baseless condemnation that are disguised by this money focus.  You have a head start in this field of how many years?  So you had BETTER be making lots more money than I am, and your clients had better be in love with you.  Come to think of it, why aren't YOU charging more money?  With all your years and skills and gear?

JUST DID.....YOUR MEMORY IS FAILING BRIAN!!!

Quote:

I've been an artist for 30 years, with talent and experience beyond your quick judgment's comprehension or understanding  ... and now that I've acquired the tools and found a way to actually make money in the music business and not just spend it as I did for the last 20, I'm happy as can be ... and intend to eat your work for lunch, given the opportunity.

BON APPETITE!!!! JUST WATCH OUT FOR THE BONES....OOOOPS!!!! TOO LATE...YOU"RE CHOKIN MAN!!!

Quote:

Musical quality is now and has always been my life ... and if you dont have as much passion, skill or integrity - you'd better be annoyed, maybe it will motivate you to do better.

Actually I'd rather you get the piss out the way, especially if you're so focused on money.  The business of music has enough of that focus already.

SO....YOU HIPPIES JUST BARTER IN OHIO????? CRAZY MAN!!!!!
AND YOU'RE INTO WATER SPORTS???? YOU"RE A FREAKY CAT!!!!

Quote:

----
Truth is I've been very open to your energy on here, even though you've been damn near hostile ever since butting in on the Gearslutz thread to defend the mediocrity of what's more-or-less a spiritual drinking buddy.  I give ignorance a lot of rope so I've allowed myself to respond to your inconsistent views in hope that they would broaden at some point.

GETTING TIRED HERE...... AIN"T YA?????

Quote:

And yet you persist with hypocritical criticisms that bely the underlying fact that the one with the issue here is you ... you insist on a subjective standard for everything musical and yet you criticize my pricing choices.  It's not possible to do both and still have integrity.  

Either life has flexible standards and timeless principles or it's all subjective, fundamentally chaotic and ultimately people pleasing  ...  so which will it be?

CAN I DIAL A FRIEND????

Quote:

Anyway, the combined hypocrisy, fear and negativity of your posts means nothing to me.  You can say what you will, but know that much.  I may choose to respond to the ideas or not for my own reasons, but it's never a response directly to you or for you.  You've proven to be the kind of person that people who aim for excellence and challenge the status quo learn to expect, and hopefully tolerate.  My patience, is clearly thin.

FEEL BETTER NOW??? NURSE.....QUICK THE OXYGEN TENT!!! AND A STRAIGHT JACKET FOR GOOD MEASURE!!!!!

Quote:

Best wishes, to you too.

YEAH BUT WAS YOUR POST "AS GOOD AS IT COULD POSSIBLY BE"???????

Brian Brian Brian.....tsk tsk. Well you're right it's not personaL.....for me now it's fun
Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

For the benefit of others I'll be brief. Get over yourself.

Brad shut it down.
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

bblackwood

Re: Rates gone awry... (was 'Rate survey')
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 05:56:56 AM »

Holy edited post, Batman!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jackthebear

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 06:26:09 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 19:56

WHAT????? You removed my THUD, POW, SWOOSH and BAMs????

Darnnit!!!

Cheers,
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

bblackwood

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 06:44:52 AM »

No, just took about 10 minutes to get all the formatting right...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

dave-G

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 06:58:15 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 06:44

No, just took about 10 minutes to get all the formatting right...

Now that you've mastered it... did you QC it yourself, or did you leave that to your assistant?

-dave
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

jackthebear

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 07:45:27 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 19:56

Yeah hopefully I won't have to hear from The Joker anymore......... Razz
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

turtletone

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 09:34:07 AM »

I take it that there's history between these two.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

jackthebear

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 23:34

I take it that there's history between these two.

Hey Michael,

If your're refering to me and Lucey....no real history....but you may as well consider him as such.

Cheers,
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100

bblackwood

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 07:50:15 PM »

This thread is officially:

http://projects.euphonicmasters.com/locked.JPG

Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 22 queries.