R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: what do you think of Tascam X-48  (Read 29491 times)

gtoledo3

Re: what do you think of Tascam X-48
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »

People forget that there are ALOT of mx2424's out there. I have read the comment that RADAR's are more popular...I would be really curious about that, b/c I see those mx2424's everywhere. At mid level studios, that is the most common standalone digital recorder that I see.

PookyNMR

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 12:00:20 AM »

gtoledo3 wrote on Fri, 29 April 2005 14:48

People forget that there are ALOT of mx2424's out there. I have read the comment that RADAR's are more popular...I would be really curious about that, b/c I see those mx2424's everywhere. At mid level studios, that is the most common standalone digital recorder that I see.

That's interesting, my experience is quite the opposite.  I see a lot more RADAR units out there than MX2424 units.  The Alesis HD24 units are also very popular around here as well.

I do agree with Roland, the one advantage of this new Tascam unit is the 48 trk ability.  Buying 2 RADAR units is expensive.  Though the RADAR converters are very nice....
Nathan Rousu

bloodstone

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 05:10:35 AM »

Looks like the beginning of the end for the MX-2424.  Tascam's support of it has been deplorable of late.  This kind of thing leads me away from "hardware-based" digital recorders.  I'm thinking the most sensible way to go is a pc or mac with a good software and some decent converters.  I've had an MX since the year it came out.  Not a bad rig, and given the circumstances at the time I think I made the right choice, but using SCSI and not having USB or Firewire capability pretty much sucks in the current tech environment.  From the photos, it looks like they're using the same converter sets the MX had.  Can anyone verify or refute?  

smj

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 11:48:35 PM »

Tascam in my experience makes good products....but because the digi realm changes so fast, their products get canned not too long after their release.

When the MX came out, they made it compatible with DVD Ram....that was on it's way out not long after the box hit the shelves.  The MX didn't have firewire....a medium gaining popularity at the time.  

It's not easy to make these mods to an all in one box.  The advantage to a DAW is you can change the computer and storage format easily and not have to replace your whole system.
Now that 192khz is becoming more popular....storage is even more critical.

Hence my earlier comment about me waiting on this one to see what happens.  I have a system now that works for what I do....so I'm not in a hurry to run out and buy the latest thing.

Sean M-J

skygod

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 09:11:45 AM »

PookyNMR wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 21:50

Looks like they may be going after the RADAR market.

On the surface -

RADAR is UNIX/RISC based = Best hardware platform + Most functional and reliable OS power and programmability from assembler on up. Porting from UNIX to WIN OS to MAC OS is a breeze at the lowest programming levels.

X-48 is WINXP/Intel based = buggy hardware and software platform = poor portability to other OSs in a complex DAW/SAW setup

The $64 question remains: "Why do product developers with the market experience as TASCAM in the recording market do this to themselves?"

My $00.02+$00.02 =
   $00.04 cents worth
skygod
"The secret of the Universe is to be able to see things in different light ..." (John Stuart Mill)

Rantings of a blithering idiot ...
Hey I resent that remark ... I am NOT a Blitherer!

CHANCE

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 09:37:14 AM »

When the MX-2424 first came out, I was also viewing the Mackie HDR-2496. I went with the Mackie. I bought it at the 1999 winter NAMM show. I use it day in and day out and it has never let me down. I have since discovered that the converters are much better than the Tascam MX-2424. According to friend/CEO Barry of IZ/Radar, the Mackie converters are equivilient to the Radar, I reciently just got a Mackie SDR, which is similiar to the HDR, but doesn't have a GUI, keyboard, or mouse. It's just a recorder. I got it for live gigs. the OS COULD support a 2 terribite HD. With the SDR. I can slide the removable HD out of it and slide it into my computer or my HDR for editing, OD's, or mixing. I personally love the stand-alone HD recorder format. It's just plug in and record. very quick set up time. I don't care for the Alesis HD-24, as it uses its own proprietery file format and must be converted to BWF using an optional "fireport" converter
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

ajcamlet

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 02:41:20 PM »

Well, i think the HD24/XR are great machines. The coverters are pretty good and if you have them modded the sound a bit nicer.

the problem is Alesis is no longer producing any products for recording as Numark has gutted that end of the company. Therefore there are no more OS updates for either these machines or the Masterlink, and eventually i think hard disc technology will surpass what the OS is capable of utilizing.

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »

ajcamlet wrote on Mon, 19 June 2006 13:41

Well, i think the HD24/XR are great machines. The coverters are pretty good and if you have them modded the sound a bit nicer.

the problem is Alesis is no longer producing any products for recording as Numark has gutted that end of the company. Therefore there are no more OS updates for either these machines or the Masterlink, and eventually i think hard disc technology will surpass what the OS is capable of utilizing.

Didn’t the HD 24 launch under the Numark helm?? People have been saying that ever since Numark took over….I just see no reason to believe it is true. Can you sight some source or personal experience that leads you to that concussion!
Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Bill_Urick

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 06:53:53 AM »

Gregg Seibert wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 20:04

Apparently is does full DAW editing, similar to the RADAR,

RADAR does have extensive editing capabilities, but what do you mean by full DAW editing?

skygod wrote on Mon, 19 June 2006 14:11

PookyNMR wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 21:50

Looks like they may be going after the RADAR market.

On the surface -

RADAR is UNIX/RISC based = Best hardware platform + Most functional and reliable OS power and programmability from assembler on up. Porting from UNIX to WIN OS to MAC OS is a breeze at the lowest programming levels.

I'm pretty sure RADAR runs on BeOS.

CHANCE wrote on Mon, 19 June 2006 14:37

According to friend/CEO Barry of IZ/Radar, the Mackie converters are equivilient to the Radar

I have a really hard time believing this.....
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

CHANCE

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 08:58:56 AM »

Bill Urick wrote
[quote title=CHANCE wrote on Mon, 19 June 2006 14:37

According to friend/CEO Barry of IZ/Radar, the Mackie converters are equivilient to the Radar

[/quote]

I was referring to the Mackie HDR's converters not the MDR or SDR
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

Bill_Urick

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 09:36:12 AM »

CHANCE wrote on Tue, 20 June 2006 13:58

Bill Urick wrote
[quote title=CHANCE wrote on Mon, 19 June 2006 14:37

I was referring to the Mackie HDR's converters not the MDR or SDR[/quote]

I still have a hard time believing that it's true or that Barry would say that. But if he's a friend of your's I won't dispute it.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

floodstage

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »

Not that it matters, but HDR and MDR's converters are in the I/O cards, and they use the same cards.  Limited to 48k.

SDR goes to 96k  whether that's better or not???

Maybe it was an old RADAR Barry spoke of (Otari RADAR II or something?)

Bill_Urick

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 05:59:10 PM »

Uh, I decided to run this by Barry. Sorry if this seems heavy handed, but if you quote the President of a company as saying that a competitor's product is equivalent to his.....well this was his response:

"Hi Bill,

I was thinking about you this week when I was at Tape Op cause I shipped a demo unit from there to a customer in Atlanta for a demo. Wondered how you were doing.  Still using your RADAR?

As far as the post goes, thanks for watching out for us.  I can’t recall knowing anyone by the name below.  There is no way that I would have said, “the Mackie converters are equivilient to the Radar” ..............

Thanks,

Barry Henderson, President & CEO,
iZ Technology Corporation
240 - 109  Braid St.,  New Westminster  BC, V3L 5H4"

CHANCE

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 01:25:35 PM »

Strange, I guess to be accountable, I will have to dig up our corrospondense on the Mackie forum which he used to frequent.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

CHANCE

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »

Reading back I believe he was referring to the pre S-Nyquist Radarindex.php/fa/3016/0/
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 19 queries.