R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: possible implications of trusted computing and related technologies  (Read 1453 times)

rockdigital

this is a long post but well worth reading.  it left me thinking about going back to analog cassettes rather than be part of a totally locked-down, controlled, certified digital environment.  which would actually be cool.

http://fourmilab.ch/documents/digital-imprimatur/

Bob Olhsson

Re: possible implications of trusted computing and related technologies
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 01:06:34 PM »

Kind of amazing it took him so long to figure out what the real deal about the Internet is but at least he finally did! I was made aware of these issues in 1986 thanks to a friend who was the sysop at Lawrence Livermore Labs. This was before the blitz of Silicon Valley publicity promoting Internet stocks that most people still believe to this day.

Think about it, many many people's ONLY source of television and the Internet is Comcast. The implications of that fact ought to be absolutely chilling to all of us. When one company owns the pipe, there's no getting around the fact that one company controls the pipe.

This is why I'm such a strong advocate of protecting copyright. Music distribution is well on its way to becoming a total monopoly controlled by a tiny number of technology patents. Copyright is the ONLY protection the rest of us have from total exploitation without compensation for what we create. It isn't about record labels because if push ever comes to shove, Internet providers and record labels will simply merge. It's about the rest of us who REALLY NEED all of the intellectual property protection we can hang on to! Hopefully more people will start to wake up and stop drinking the "free Internet" Koolade.

rockdigital

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 09:40:51 PM »

up
just so more people can have the opportunity to bookmark the url

dpd

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 09:44:30 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 18:06

Think about it, many many people's ONLY source of television and the Internet is Comcast. The implications of that fact ought to be absolutely chilling to all of us. When one company owns the pipe, there's no getting around the fact that one company controls the pipe.

Kind of like what's been happening with the broadcast market and, lately, including the local press?
I have no signature

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:39:18 AM »

dpd wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 20:44

Kind of like what's been happening with the broadcast market and, lately, including the local press?

Worse, LOTS worse!

rankus

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 01:02:02 PM »

All I can say is Wow!  Some good and some bad, but what an amazing article!
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

dpd

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 07:25:08 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 13:39

dpd wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 20:44

Worse, LOTS worse!

We had one of our local TV stations (owned by a conglomerate) sell to a startup, then bought another station.  The seller (who lost millions last year) even financed the deal for the startup.  Then, the seller fired the entire news staff on one station and now provides the news for both stations - obviously, different networks.  1/3 of the city's TV news staff bit the dust with the exception of the anchor - she must have had a great contract!

:jumpsonsoapbox:

I've been against this whole conglomeration from day 1 - both in media (I work part time for an NPR affiliate) and in the defense industry (main gig).  I just see less diversity of everything and people losing jobs.

:jumpsoffsoapbox:

And, now, back to your regularly scheduled forum discussions....
I have no signature

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 08:14:13 AM »

Broadcasters are subject to regulation and anti-trust legislation if the government chooses to enforce the law.

Owning a patented technology is a legal monopoly. This means one company can legally  buy themselves a monopoly over digital media distribution. All it takes is enough money. Microsoft and Bill Gates personally have been well on their way to doing exactly this for over twenty years.

While it's true that copyright is also a legal monopoly with the potential of one company owning everything, it remains that a large proportion of valuable copyright owners are the people who created the works in question while most valuable patents are held by public corporations. Valuable copyrights are also generally created by individuals rather than employees of corporations and there are a far larger number of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.