R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rms levels for radio  (Read 3297 times)

Jason Poff

rms levels for radio
« on: April 15, 2005, 11:25:06 PM »

Hey everyone,
  I'm looking for opinions on what rms level to shoot for when mixing a jingle for radio. "Loud" is a big deal, but from what I understand, too loud just causes the stations dynamics processors to clamp down even harder. What do you all think?

Jason

lucey

Re: rms levels for radio
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 11:40:03 PM »

RMS being low in a mix is not a big issue as long as it's in the ballpark.  Clipping and HEAVY limiting at mastering is the issue.

Are you going to have it mastered?  If so, just make a good mix ... dont go for an RMS number through mixing, go for a great mix.

A very good mix can be mastered a whole lot of ways ... at that time you can see what works best.

On second thought ... it's a jingle so I don't know what's appropriate.  I was thinking about music.

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Ronny

Re: rms levels for radio
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 02:06:01 PM »

Jason Poff wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 23:25

Hey everyone,
  I'm looking for opinions on what rms level to shoot for when mixing a jingle for radio. "Loud" is a big deal, but from what I understand, too loud just causes the stations dynamics processors to clamp down even harder. What do you all think?

Jason

RMS levels do not give 100% accuracy in determining perceived levels, as all material is different and perceived level depends on the immediate ear response to the previous level heard. I suggest that you use RMS only as a starting point and your ears as the deciding factor.

It's true that Optimod and similiar broadcast limiters can't react as effectively on hypercompressed material as they can on material that has some dynamic content intact, but there is more to it than that, AGC's, phase rotators and pre-emphasis (especially on freq's above 5k) also play an important role, in why you should allow material destined for airplay to breathe some.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------