R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ref'ing your own mix.  (Read 5234 times)

j.hall

Re: ref'ing your own mix.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 07:41:41 AM »

mixing on an analog desk is priority for me.

i've tried using a procontrol and i just end up using the track ball and keyboard while this expenssive drink coaster sits in front of me.

aside from things just sounding better summed in the analog domain (even on a mackie) it's just much more natural and organic to mix that way.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 10:10:53 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 06:51

there is no question that mixes can always be better...
There's also no question in my mind that one of the most common mistakes of beginners is going right past a great mix into the land of the over mixed. Over-mixing is just like over-production, over-playing, over-singing and over-eqing and compressing. I've got to agree that keeping every mix and going back to check with fresh ears is crucial.

idiophone

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 07:38:50 PM »

I pretty much always hate mixes that I slave over for more than a few hours. The band always comes in with the roughs and says "man, that rocked the other day - what happened?". I got my head stuck up my ass, that's what happened.

The slipperman method is working for me (always has): solo every sound, set EQs for sources of power, then just push the faders up until it's happening. Automate the vocal if necessary. Since my EQs are set for all the channels, if I need more guts in the bass, I just twist the knob and I've got it.

~id
West and Wewaxation

volthause

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 11:39:54 AM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 07 May 2005 10:10

There's also no question in my mind that one of the most common mistakes of beginners is going right past a great mix into the land of the over mixed.

Guilty. Been there, done that. I've got the t-shirt to prove it. I can't leave stuff alone though. It's like a sickness.
--for rent.

j.hall

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 03:13:53 PM »

volthause wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 10:39

It's like a sickness.

no, it's an itch that you just can't reach, but you keep trying.

jackthebear

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 07:01:13 AM »

idiophone wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 09:38

The slipperman method is working for me (always has):

No doubt about it....the big guy has got it going on!!!

I can't speak in a mix context as I couldn't mix a drink let alone a choon ( some might say I couldn't cut a deck of cards) but I digress....

In a mastering situation you can have a similar conundrum although the permutations and combinations aren't as many because you're working with a L & R pair or maybe even stems.

Part of the skill set I feel is the ability to have the vision and to be able to say "enough". If you can look back and say later down the track "hey I coulda done that better", then that's great as it shows you're still on the learning curve.

I would imagine at the mix stage an overnight break and other playback environment can be very helpful if there are serious doubts.

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 07:45:25 AM »

i was thinking about all this over the weekend as i recalled two mixes.

typically in recalls it's a matter of preference and i'm not really "fixing" things but more or less just changing some things around to meet the preference of the artist.

these two recalls were different.  i had printed the mixes and was so focused on some details within the mix i didn't even realize that the bass wasn't nearly loud enough.

a few other things they wanted down were so obvious once the bass came up a few details needed re-shuffling and the mix came out much better.

but to the point here.....

listening on different systems and so on, was a way of life when my new room came on-line.  but now, i prefer to not hear the track outside the studio until it's "done"

i've found it much better to keep myself in that listening environment from start to finish then taint myself with another listening situation.

i've almost got my room learned, and it's much more helpful to stay in there and figure out the problems rather then go searching for them in my car.

this is the first time i've ever worked like this, it's also the first time i feel i have a room that can allow me to do so.

brandondrury

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 09:46:46 PM »

Quote:

I'll tell you one thing about mixing ITB...

If i put up a mix again weeks later, i ALWAYS find that i want to change things... it never seems "right" just as it comes back.

I consider this a good thing.  I've got a band coming for a late night mix in just a few minutes.  I've been booked solid for 3 weeks by other projects and have gladly not even touched it.  I'm excited about seeing what sort of garbage I let threw my studio 3 weeks ago.

I find that if it's pretty decent, I'm on top of the world.  If it's crap, then I lose my sense of self worth for a few days.  Is that normal?

Brandon

Andy Simpson

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 04:36:35 PM »

I'm feeling that bro'.

Wink

Andy
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.