R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally a winner! Mix Competition postings...  (Read 14184 times)

Curve Dominant

Re: Finally a winner! Mix Competition postings...
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2005, 10:48:19 AM »

football wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 11:22

Curve Dominant's mix is happening.  Djui's is punchier in the drum department but Curve's is darn musical.

This song/performance is a little flat to me overall and Curve really gets that vocal to help the song build.  Seems to be using some type of doubling/delay effects.  It's very good.  This song needs it.

This vocal performance to me isn't one that stands the "dry" sound very well.  It is too nasal sounding.  

Nice job Curve, musical as a MoFo.

Thanks!

RKrizman

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2005, 12:21:13 PM »

Extreme Mixing wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 16:54

By the way Rkrizman, I acutally thought the only thing really wrong with the demo mix was that it had too much bass.  

Listened again today.  Right you are.  Don't know what I was smoking last week.
Some of the other mxes do a great job of getting an extended low end without woofing out.  

-R

studjo

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

dave-G wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:35

But on the topic of vocals, I thought Studjo made some very unique bg vocal balances, that really worked well..

-dave

Thanks Dave for listening so closely - I thought those bvoc were just fucking great. I loved the harmony very much and tried to get the voicing more or less across.
I'm with you on the more dry lead vocal approach. That song doesn't cut it for me with too much efx on the lead. The song is simple as is the whole arrangement. The singer is not "The King", but I heard worse. I like singers with a bit of "attitude".

Btw I really dug Henchman's mix and Dave's mix. I like to hear different mixes of the same song - very inspiring.

Jo

DrDeltaM

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2005, 03:18:49 PM »

Studjo's mix was my personal favourite as well. Only remark I had on it is that it had a tad too much reverb on the lead vocal (i like pretty dry stuff tho).

But Dave is a worthy winner! Only reason his mix wasn't my first choice was cuz i didn't liked the re-amped guitars that much.

My own mix kinda sucked  Very Happy I knew this when i send it in, it compared in nothing to the original. Mine has too little low freqs and too little punch in the drums. Tho, all in all, i'm pretty satisfied as it was a quickie, i could have done much worse  Laughing
Mathijs Indesteege
Low End Moderator @ http://www.gearslutz.com

Curve Dominant

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2005, 04:03:22 PM »

DrDeltaM wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 20:18

My own mix kinda sucked  Very Happy I knew this when i send it in, it compared in nothing to the original. Mine has too little low freqs and too little punch in the drums.

Mathijs, I don't know about all that; the instrumental part of your mix sounded OK. The problem was with the vocals: they seemed really very seperate from the rest of the mix, not bad in themselves but not blending with the instrumentation.

I liked DaveG's mix too, except - again - for the vocals, which I found a tad dry and non-descript. Otherwise a perfectly fine mix. I really liked Tunasafe's mix too.

Randy,

I had a problem with your mix, and when rating the various mixes I seriously docked you for it: Those really very loudly distracting breath noises in the lead vocal. Something about the way you processed the lead vocal amplified the bejeezus out of the vocalist's breaths, and leaving that in there without editing them out or processing the vocals in a different way was a significant technical error in an essential aspect of the mix. No soup for you! (Excellent job on organizing the contest though.)

DrDeltaM

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2005, 04:49:36 PM »

Eric Vincent wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 22:03

Mathijs, I don't know about all that; the instrumental part of your mix sounded OK. The problem was with the vocals: they seemed really very seperate from the rest of the mix, not bad in themselves but not blending with the instrumentation.

Maybe cuz i've been too spare with reverb?
Mathijs Indesteege
Low End Moderator @ http://www.gearslutz.com

Curve Dominant

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2005, 05:20:51 PM »

DrDeltaM wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 21:49

Eric Vincent wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 22:03

Maybe cuz i've been too spare with reverb?

No, reverb probably would have made it worse, because your vocal was too loud already. And besides, I never recommend reverb on a lead vocal.

Try a modulation delay instead, timed roughly to the tempo of the track, and blended in very subtly.

Then try a parallel compressed/EQ'd channel to add vocal presence to the mix without the original track being so loud.

djui5

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2005, 06:47:42 PM »

football wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 04:22

Djui, how the heck did you get those drums so punchy?  Is there any outboard gear or is that all ITB?

I mixed the song on a Soundtraks Jade. I used behringer composers (I think..or the autocom's..don't remember) and the kick and snare. I gated the kick and snare also with the drawmer gates we have. The punch is a combo of the comp settings, eq, and the consoles sound.
I put a reverse reverb effect on the kick that you can hear occasionally. It made the kick sound bigger and helped fill out the song a little..and give it some bounce. There's one point where it sounds like a vocal breath sorta...

The vocals were serial compressed with a DBX 903 and 1 channel of a autocom. The breath's were a little loud I agree. I had though about editing them out but decided against it. Whoops. Other than that I was really happy with the sound of the vocals. I seemed to get most of that "I have a cold" sound out of his voice, and the vocals stood with good presence.

Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

djui5

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2005, 06:49:56 PM »

tanov wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 06:49

Hi Randy,
Can you post the whole sorted list to see where I am  Smile

Huh? What do you mean?
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

TunaSafeDolphin

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2005, 07:21:18 PM »

djui5 wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 21:34

P.S. The tracking engineer and singer votes as follows..I did NOT count these votes toward the final tally, but got them in curiosity.

Tracking Engineer: 12(studjo), 1(tunasafedolphin), 16(Dave-G)
Singer: 1, 12, 3(Extreme Mixing) or 16 (he couldn't pick between them)

Yee HAW! Glad that somebody likes my mix!

Thanks again Randy for moderating this contest. You did an excellent job keeping it organized, and as you know I voted your mix #2!!! (I like your drum sound!)

To anybody who's reading this thread that didn't participate, I highly recommend the experience - it was very educational and fun.

Congrats guys on some really good mixes.

-Christian

{EDIT}
P.S.  - FWIW, one of the reasons I voted for Randy's mix was BECAUSE of the breath noises - I liked 'em!! Goes to show us all how subjective this process really is!
Christian - Professional Mixer/Producer/Engineer
http://www.mixmymusic.net

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2005, 07:39:38 PM »

Ditto here on the loud breath noises.  Was that EQ, or a fast release on the compressor?  Sounded like he was smoking 4 packs a day.

So what would you guys do differently in your mixes now that the dust has settled?  Anything???

Steve

djui5

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2005, 08:05:16 PM »

TunaSafeDolphin wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 17:21

Congrats guys on some really good mixes.

-Christian

{EDIT}
P.S.  - FWIW, one of the reasons I voted for Randy's mix was BECAUSE of the breath noises - I liked 'em!! Goes to show us all how subjective this process really is!

Thanks!

ExtremeMixing wront on Mon, 11 April 2005

Ditto here on the loud breath noises. Was that EQ, or a fast release on the compressor? Sounded like he was smoking 4 packs a day.

I think it was the serial compression that brought it out. I did another mix with less compression on the vocals and it wasen't bad at all....go figure.

Quote:

So what would you guys do differently in your mixes now that the dust has settled? Anything???

Yeah..I would have brought out the tom's more, did more with the bass, and added a lot more effects and such.

yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

tanov

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2005, 11:18:15 PM »

djui5 wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 01:49

Huh? What do you mean?

I mean the whole rating list sorted from the mix with maximum
votes to the one with minimum. I want to see my mix position.

And about the winner...
I think that there are many mixes that sound better than the
winner's one.
I skipped the DAVE-G's mix in voting. I find serious mistakes
at the begining - The vocal is too loud (the instruments
sound like a background as the instruments sound from the
living-room and the vocalist sings closed in the toilet).
The drums have awful clipping in the snare drum. I can't
hear the mic above the snare. There is a sound from the mic under the snare which has clipping in tracking.

Vladimir Kamenov Tanov
http://mixperience.net

henchman

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2005, 11:34:38 PM »

tanov wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 20:18

djui5 wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 01:49

Huh? What do you mean?

I mean the whole rating list sorted from the mix with maximum
votes to the one with minimum. I want to see my mix position.

Ooh, we are a glutton for punishment, aren't we.
Very Happy

tanov

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2005, 11:45:47 PM »

Brendan Thompson wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 04:41

Good work everyone... I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some comments on my mix... #21 for all the entrants, to save you a download.

Mixed all ITB, using only free plugins, in DP, using this freaky composite speaker setup that involves a 2.1 set of computer speakers and two from an old record player... and I know it's lacking in bass!

I like your mix more then the winner's one.
But I have some remarks.
I like tha drumset sound. It is close to my sound concept.
But drumset sounds quiet and thin. You have to add some
low frequencies in the bassdrum.
Vladimir Kamenov Tanov
http://mixperience.net
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.