R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watermarking in mastering  (Read 4071 times)

xonlocust

Watermarking in mastering
« on: April 07, 2005, 03:57:51 PM »

i don't really fully understand digital watermarking in practice. in theory, sure i get it - but at what stage does this watermark get added to my recording? seems to me it has to be at the mastering stage - somewhere between me handing over the 1/4" reels and the duplication master - yet i dont recall seeing anything about it here - at least my search for watermark didnt really turn up anything useful.

any insights?  i hear sesac does this somehow, but i'm with ascap.  is there an independent way of doing this, ie - could i watermark my cd, then go to some 3rd party service and have them give me numbers that i can use as leverage against ascap/my label or whatever if there were some discrepency?  

chrisj

Re: Watermarking in mastering
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 06:26:08 PM »

Might be because it would have to be obvious enough to survive psychoacoustic low-quality mp3 encoding, which by design discards inobvious information. Why do you even want to do this? Maybe there's a better way of accomplishing what you want than watermarking.

I'm not surprised nobody here wants to talk about it. Almost everything we talk about is for getting many subtle enhancements of tonality which would then get obliterated by the watermarking. It's just not a fun subject of conversation for an AE, unless you're into the abstractions of how it's accomplished, or interested in legalisms and copy protection.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 10:53:53 PM »

You are confusing watermarking with fingerprinting. The PROs are now logging broadcasts using technology that can identify specific recordings. Watermarking is a feature offered by pressing plants to record labels. The details are not public knowledge.

xonlocust

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 02:04:06 PM »

chris - i'm not really specifically trying to accomplish anything other than to gather information, even if only theotetical info.  my band is about to record a record that will be coming out in fall on an indie, so i wanted to see if there was anything new i should be anticipating. i thought something of this nature would have to be done in mastering, which will be coming up soon, so i thought i'd ask.  i'm not overly concerned about copy protection or anything like that - more just curious about an emerging technology and how it integrates with what i'm doing - if at all.

bob - yes, i may very well be confusing the two.  how do the PROs fingerprint a recording?  is this sort of similar to how CDDB knows what cd is in the player based on song lengths and number of tracks?

so to clarify - watermarking is more like copy protection and fingerprinting is more like a fingerprint right?   i guess i am asking more about fingerprinting.

thanks for the input!

chrisj

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 02:59:26 PM »

If you're not concerned with copy protection, the only thing I think you could be talking about (Bob may know more than me about what's out there, correct me if I'm wrong or have inadequate information) is ISRC codes.

These are associated with a label, but indy labels can get them just as easily. They are included in the subcode of the CD- meaning that unlike watermarking (my understanding of watermarking, anyway) they don't alter the sound at all. They're being carried on the part of the CD that carries track begin and end information, etc.

The reason you'd want to use ISRC codes is if you're getting radio airplay on automated stations- modern computerized stuff, but perhaps not quite as modern as the mp3 (mp2?) based computer-playlist stations which I heard were popping up. I think Europe and Asia were the places where you had to have ISRC codes to get airplay because otherwise it was too inconvenient to keep track of royalty data.

I'm talking out near the edges of 'stuff I heard somewhere' so please jump all over me if I have this wrong- but I think ISRC codes are what you're looking for.

xonlocust

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 03:46:06 PM »

is this ISRC stuff the same thing that enables a fancy car's radio to display the track name and band while it's playing?   i think i've seen that before in new cars and the big powerhouse clearchannel stations.  how is that data broadcast over analog airwaves?  and then so back to my original question - the ISRC info gets encoded as part of the mastering process? it's just a part that my ME probably does when im not paying attention? (i'm looking at you mastermind....)  all this time i'd just been listening at the sessions... Smile

thanks for the input so far.

edit for other's benefit: i found this resource which sheds some light - http://www.ifpi.org/isrc/

and
Quote:

3.7.1. Compact Disc
In the case of Compact Discs the ISRCs and other PQ-data are encoded in the disc sub-code (Q channel) in the disc mastering process. For this reason, ISRCs must be encoded for each track in the Pre-Master for CD. The ISRC codes, together with the Digital Copy Prohibited flag, and the relevant point of sale code, such as EAN/UPC should be inserted on the Pre-Master during the pre-mastering process from the original Master.

and http://www.riaa.com/issues/audio/isrc_faq.asp

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 08:35:14 PM »

CD-Text lets a player display information. The International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) is a unique serial number for each track that's used to pay royalties. Registration is free and artists get royalties.

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 09:47:48 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 15:46

is this ISRC stuff the same thing that enables a fancy car's radio to display the track name and band while it's playing?   i think i've seen that before in new cars and the big powerhouse clearchannel stations.  how is that data broadcast over analog airwaves?  and then so back to my original question - the ISRC info gets encoded as part of the mastering process? it's just a part that my ME probably does when im not paying attention? (i'm looking at you mastermind....)  all this time i'd just been listening at the sessions... Smile

thanks for the input so far.

edit for other's benefit: i found this resource which sheds some light - http://www.ifpi.org/isrc/

and
Quote:

3.7.1. Compact Disc
In the case of Compact Discs the ISRCs and other PQ-data are encoded in the disc sub-code (Q channel) in the disc mastering process. For this reason, ISRCs must be encoded for each track in the Pre-Master for CD. The ISRC codes, together with the Digital Copy Prohibited flag, and the relevant point of sale code, such as EAN/UPC should be inserted on the Pre-Master during the pre-mastering process from the original Master.

and http://www.riaa.com/issues/audio/isrc_faq.asp

ISRC codes are not technically "a" watermark or copyright protection. They have nothing to do with display text for artist, cd title and song title in your car player that supports cd text. They are merely a set of numbers assigned by ifpi to be able to log air impressions. You can have one song that is the same and even the same artist, but a different recording, using different session musicians and they would need two separate ISRC codes, so an ISRC code really reflects the recording and not necessarily the song, although they are used to log songwriter and publsher mechanicals. You must supply the ME with the code for each song before he can encode it onto the PMCD, but you can also have the rep plant add them, some rep plants that is. Obtaining ISRC codes is the producers job and as Bob mentioned, they are free, you just have to register the recordings with ifpi. Paul McCartneys "Yesterday" which is one of the most recorded songs of all time, with over 200 acts recording, it would have a separate ISRC code for each version, well each version that came out after ISRC codes were established.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------