R/E/P > Chris Walla

why i hate to clutter the board...a recording philosophy question.

<< < (2/2)

WALLA:
There's something to the Andy Wallace mixes that's really interesting, something I've gotten really, really into recently:  Mixing really quietly.  Like, as quietly as you can stand to do it; like almost not there at all.  His records rock really, really hard because he's working to get that thing that happens when you crank up a record in your car; where your amp gives up and your speakers act like a brick wall limiter.  The more work your monitors have to do in the mix room, the less they're talling you about what's actually happening.

Probably stuff you already know, but Andy Wallace is fascinating to me.  Listen to the second Ben Folds Five record again ('Whatever and Ever, Amen') and consider, for a second, that it's a bass, a drumset and a baby grand piano in a living room in Chapel Hill.  And that it's live, and that it's terrifying and exciting and great.  And that it's still all of those things when you listen to it really, really quiet.  Awesome.

drumsound:
Whatever and ever is one of my favorite records.  I love all the stuff they left in that most people would leave out.  And I love the phone ringing in Steven's Last Night in Town.

meverylame:
drumsound wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 23:43
Whatever and ever is one of my favorite records.  I love all the stuff they left in that most people would leave out.  And I love the phone ringing in Steven's Last Night in Town.

"You want your secret track? I've got your secret track right here pal, RIGHT HERE. Ben Folds is a fucking asshole."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version