R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: anolog hi end loss! help asap!  (Read 7008 times)

j.hall

Re: anolog hi end loss! help asap!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

cgc wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 11:39

As I recall, doing demag improperly is worse than not doing it at all.  Performing this as some sort of diurnal ritual probably increases the chance of something going wrong.

yeah, especially if the tape deck is still powered on when the demagger is running.

and especially if the reel of tape is still on the machine.

one lesson i learned a while back

while moving away from the deck slowly i always have a habit of placing the degauser behind my back after i'm a good 15' away.  not like my body blocks anything.  but anyway, i left my wallet in my pocket this time.  needless to say, i was having every credit card, ATM card, etc... replaced the next week.

thedoc

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 02:36:20 PM »

Check for reel tensions and tape path.  If the supply reel holdback tension is too great, it can fight the capstan, thereby affecting tape path if things are not physically aligned perfectly.  Try (with a test tape) moving the tape across the playback head with your finger as the machine is playing back 10k and see if you can improve the hi freq response.  If you can, you have a path problem.

Is playback from the repro head and the sync head significantly different?  That would be a clue although some machines have degraded hi freq response in sync due to head design. Smile
Doc

malice

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 03:27:02 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 18:27

rattleyour wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 10:54

As in Jerry Hall, former wife of Mick Jagger?

That was before 'his' surgery...

Woooah,

I just realise what led me into calling Jason : Jerry ...

I'm such an idiot

I mean it

lmfbo

malice Very Happy

bushwick

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 10:06:43 PM »

Hi-

I am in the middle of stems, can't rap too long...

I think you have a magnetism problem.

There have been some helpful hints here but in case they were vague:

1) TAKE YOUR SESSION OFF OF THE DECK!!!!

2) Record something on to another piece of tape, scrap if you have it, 10khz will work well and note on the meters of the recorder where they are. For this it is sound to record at 0vu. Record at least two minutes of this so you have enough to experiment with (turn your monitors down).

3) Rewind the recorded section and play it back and see if the material is quieter in sync or repro.

4) With the tape playing push the tape agains the head a little harder by pressing into the moving tape with your finger next to where it hits the head, but not on the head. See if that causes the high end to come back. Like previously mentioned, that would signal a tape path issue.

5) If this is not changing it for the better play the tape over and over where you have recorded your 10khz tone about ten times and see if you are getting loss in level on the vu meters. If you are, you almost certainly have a magnetism problem.

6) If that is the case, very serisouly learn how to demag your machine. A magnetized tape path will cause high end loss much more prominently than mid and lower frequencies. What would also lead me to believe this is your problem is that you complain of phasy souding high end. If you demag improperly, you are going to actually magnetize one spot on some part you have tried to demagnetized and if that part is a rotating part, as that part rotates past a section of tape the amount that it removes signal it removes will vary with how strong the magnetism of the part is.

If you picture rotating parts from the top down and assume 12 o'clock is magnetized, as the part spins around (like an idler) it will suck high end whenever the 12 o'clock makes contact with the tape, with less damage occuring as you approach and as you pass 12 0'clock.

Also, you do not need to move the demagnetizer more than a few feet away while you are slowly back the demagger off the machine. For whomever that was that moves 15 feet away. Also, when demagging, most of your demagging happens logarithmically as you close in the metal parts. SO, back away verrrry slowly for the first inch or so as you waive the demagger from side to side.

Get yourself an "Annis Han'D'Mag". They are the best.

Cheers and good luck,
josh
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

scott oliphant

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 11:19:19 AM »

this may be too obvious, but is there any chance that it could be phasing in the mics you used on the cymbals themselves not the deck? I was having some weird issues in a session a while back and it was one of my sm81's I was using as drum overheads. I've never seen a 1/2 16 track, I've got a 1/2 8 track and thought I had small track widths =) I wonder what the bleedthrough is like on 1/2 16. good luck
scott

kohrobby

Re: anolog hi end loss! help asap! (follow up)
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 06:31:05 PM »

fellas, been meaning to get back in here to thank you all for the input and suggestions. just been busy mixing since i last posted. so that's a good sign, right? i demagged again in desperation, and voila! fixed it right up.

i really appreciate the demagging tips, as i have been a bit helter skelter in technique in comparison to doing it properly.

thanks again!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.