R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE question...  (Read 16251 times)

wwittman

THE question...
« on: April 05, 2005, 09:07:28 PM »

Welcome...
I just want to know WHO in the band was the big Bonzo Dog Band fan?
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

zmix

Re: THE question...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 11:49:17 PM »

Neil Innes...knave genius?

wwittman

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 12:21:59 AM »

Neil Innes and Vivian Stanshall, both weird geniuses.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

WALLA

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:51:04 AM »

Honestly, none of us were fans until some of our heroes started coming out of the woodwork  ?  Peter Buck and Gus Dudgeon were the most (and yet, least) surprising.  Ben was, as many college-age Beatles devotees are, a pusher of the Magical Mystery Tour.  He was also sick of being in bands who had name battles with other bands (ie Pinwheel, Shed).  So, yes, we're all fans now.

And fans of the Kinks too.
[listen]

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »

Which era Kinks are you fans of?  It seems rather trendy to be into their Shel Talmy produced stuff, or Village Green (which are all amazing).  But, I find that I am one of the few people who loves their post Lola stuff or their Arista records.  I think that Sleepwalker is fucking genius, and gems on Soap Opera like "Face In the Crowd" are among the best songs Ray Davies has ever written.  Ray and Dave have written things even as recently as Phobia that beat anything the Stones have mustered in twenty years.  

Pete Townshend had it right when he said that the fact that they finally knighted Ray proves that there's some justice in the world.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

NelsonL

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 02:26:30 PM »

That reminds me, I was really digging Muswell Hillbillies last time I heard it.

Need to pick up a copy...

wwittman

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 09:24:26 PM »

AH, so you're second hand!

Either way... they were brilliant.

Many 60's era British bands were Bonzo fans, most notably the Beatles and The Who...
and of course the Beatles connection manifested itself in Magical Mystery Tour and with You Know My Name...
you probably also know by now that Paul McCartney also produced their biggest almost hit, Urban Spaceman, under the name Apollo C. Vermouth.

Death Cab For Cutie isn't one of my FAVOURITE Bonzo songs, but still pretty damned clever...
"some one's gonna make her pay her fare"

cheers,
w2
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 12:22:02 AM »

I just love the way they imitate John and Yoko on "Give Booze a Chance".  And "The Strain" is some serious fucking comedy.  I need to check my Filmore posters to see if there's a Mothers / Bonzo bill.  I know I have some with each of them on it, but I don't know if it's at the same time.  Talk about "does humor belong in music?"

And speaking of Magical Mystery Tour, the singer I am working with tomorrow is staying in a house at the very top of Blue Jay Way.  It'll be a short session ... I mean, it won't be very long. Very Happy
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

drumsound

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 10:31:13 AM »

If you guys are into the Bonzo Dog Band, are any of you also into Patto?

Incidentally a good friend of mine play with Neil Innes.  They do acoustic things together, and he's a current member of the Ruttles.  Last year he put together a "Midwest" Neil Innes band that did a short tour.  Neil, besides be a great songwriter and musician is a very nice, funny and warm guy.

brewsbee

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 09:47:40 PM »

Wow, Kinks freaks coming out of the woodwork!  Yes, Ray Davies is the greatest single songwriter in rock history.  Remember, you have to split Jagger-Richard, Lennon-McCartney, John-Taupin, etc.  Ray did it all. Scores of great songs.

I was listening to "Celluloid Heroes" (an original Sterling/Ludwig mastering) last week and it remains awesome -- a staggering and timeless masterpiece.

Also, I bought the Misfits SACD release on Koch.  Astonishing.  Worth buying that SACD player if you haven't already.  The title cut is B - I - G!
Bruce Borgerson
Sound Supervisor, First UMC, Medford, OR
"You can't stand up all by yourself..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 17 queries.