R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hospital Grade Power Cords?  (Read 5861 times)

Arf! Mastering

Hospital Grade Power Cords?
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:31:28 PM »

There is some discussion about hospital and audiophile grade IEC power cords elsewhere on PSW.  I'm willing to believe just about anything to do with audio short of Shakti Stones but can there be any basis for an IEC power cord affecting the sound of analog audio equipment?
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

Helge Sten

Re: Hospital Grade Power Cords?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 05:47:08 PM »

I have not tried any of these so I can not comment from experience.  Here is a link to Silverbirch Mastering and what they say about the Requisite AC cable:

http://www.silverbirchprod.com/news.php#Dec,%202002
Helge Sten
Audio Virus LAB
Oslo, Norway

Joe Crawford

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »

It’s a lot easier to just spread your cables further apart, or re-route them so they don’t parallel each other too close for too long a run than is to pay $500 for a power cord.  Besides, if you can’t fix the problem by re-routing, you can find shielded power cords a lot cheaper than that.  So is conduit as a last resort.

Joe Crawford
Stony Mountain Studio
Shanks, WV 26761

spankenstein

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 08:35:01 PM »

What does the last 3 ft of copper do? Does it really have such a huge impact that you can forget the miles of high voltage wire and the hundreds of feet of romex in your walls?

Brian Roth

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 10:32:26 PM »

spankenstein wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 19:35

What does the last 3 ft of copper do? Does it really have such a huge impact that you can forget the miles of high voltage wire and the hundreds of feet of romex in your walls?

IMHO.....NO!  <g>

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

ammitsboel

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 01:49:50 AM »

spankenstein wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 01:35

It has something to say, but i also think it has a lot to do with the equipment it supplies. So your will just have to try it to see if it makes no, little or an important difference.
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

davidstewart

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 02:24:22 PM »

FYI

http://www.vansevers.com/

There is a white paper here...check out the one called "Ruminations..."

http://www.vansevers.com/technical.html

(For what it's worth...I want to be clear that by posting these links I am not endorsing any of this. Links are provided for your info and/or entertainment. However I do have some first hand experience with some of the product (years ago))

David Stewart

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 07:43:02 PM »

Hospital grade cords have heavy duty contacts that really grip the sockets and a clear covering over the AC connections so that you can observe any physical damage or arcing that has occurred inside the plug. All of the ones I've seen were shielded too.

I seem to remember being told that Dan has designed medical gear so maybe he can comment about why these are used.

Brian Roth

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 11:36:08 PM »

Bob, I sure won't argue with using hospital grade mains cords.  They are pricier than "vanilla", but not insanely so like the "audiophool" stuff that sells for hundreds or thousands of dollars for a 3 or 6 foot mains cable.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 11:20:01 PM »

You could easily spend $50 to $100 on parts and labor for top of the line connecters and well shielded #12 copper cable. It would be overkill but not crazy. I was surprised how much the parts for good AC power cables cost today compared to the '60s. Copper has gone through the roof and you really don't want to know what's in lots of today's cheap stuff.

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 10:16:31 AM »

"Hospital Grade" refers to the chemical resistance; it has nothing to do with its electrical performance at all. I operating rooms, and to a lesser extent, the whole hospital they use some wicked disinfectant. This stuff literally can eat up power cords.... So 'hospital grade' is a designation for cords that can withstand the cleaning solution without becoming a shock or fire hazard. Just think for what a fire alarm is like in an ICU!
 Now those cords are a little more expensive to make, so they don't go with the cheapest possible everything else. They tend to at least be one step up from the bottom with all other regards.
 There are code designations on all new cords. That;s the letters embossed on the cord it's self. They can't be printed, that could rub off, so they are embossed. They are tighter code regulations now.
 Ever try to find a Black extension cord? It's tough.
Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 06:48:12 PM »

In my mind, if it makes a difference on the sound, the equipment it improves on is broken. Throw it out instead and use the money on working equipment.

And, yes, I have met the audiophile guys. They are sort of funny in small doses, and annoying if you meet them in longer stretches.

Anyway, let those guys keep buying that stuff. I know where to put my money (not the same place).

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 20 queries.