R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Converter shootouts for golden ears only??  (Read 6831 times)

PookyNMR

Re: Converter shootouts for golden ears only??
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 09:27:33 AM »

Gearslutzer wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 01:23

GREAT IMPROVEMENTS of AD/DAs WITH AN EXTERNAL CLOCKER LIKE BIG BEN..

Yes, if the internal clock of the converter is poor to begin with.
Nathan Rousu

malice

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 10:03:32 AM »

Gearslutzer wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 09:23

if you add 24 (less/more) of behringer ADA-8000 in a mix and compare it to 24 signals recorded with rosetta, you can hear the diffrence

No,

You can hear great differencies only by recording your mix.

that is only two tracks.

I did make some shoutout between a 888/24, an Apogee AD8000 and a Lavry Blue recently, and here are my results, and even this dumbass assistant we had could tell the difference :

the 888/24 was a fucking joke and was ruining the mix in a way that is simply too ridiculous to describe

The AD-8000 was just sounding way different : not bad, but different in a way that was too disturbing not to tweak the mix in order to "make it right"

The Lavry was very difficult to catch blind testing the returned signal from the converters and the output of the desk

You don't need 24 tracks to realise that, I assure you.

malice

klarkin

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

well after numerous listening tests, i've decided to put my benchmark media dac1 up for sale, because there is not a large enough difference between it and my rosetta 200, ad8000, sonically, to justify keeping it. i initially thought there would be, and was considering keeping it just for a different flavor, but to no avail.

Tone Laborer

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2005, 09:46:32 AM »

[, Auratones can be great monitors for these tests in some cases.

HorrorTones?? oh man...I sure don't miss those.

Big difference between apogee mini me and layla 24,in my experience.
Then again, if the girlfriend can't hear it...
Ed Ferguson
Austin,Tx

danickstr

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2005, 04:36:38 PM »

i remember back in 97 or so when we were using a motu 2408 and we went out and bought the ad-8000 and stuck it in through the adat pipe.  that was a conversion difference that was very noticeable, to say the least.  I don't know that apogee and cranesong can be compared to mid-level and Manley given top honors.  but 2408 mk1 and yamaha O2R can be given close to bargain basement honors. their newer model stuff may be better, but its not getting picked up by mastering houses so I am skeptical.  still good places to start, so that when you do get the top line, you have heard a mediocre unit long enough to know what low end conversion sounds like.  

if you have a great converter to A/B, i think the best test to fully realize its powers is to use a source that you are familiar with, such as a demo singer that is used a lot.  have him or her do the same passage with the same chain, just change the DAC's and then have them do a few takes with the old one, etc.  I thnk this will show off the converter, especially if you are familiar enough with the character of their voice.  YOu should hear not only timbral/eq-type differences, but dynamic effects as well.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.