R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 bit -> 24 bit -> 16 bit ??  (Read 7796 times)

jason levy

16 bit -> 24 bit -> 16 bit ??
« on: April 03, 2005, 08:14:03 AM »

Hello,

For a video project where the original source files are  16 bit, (at 48 ) does it make more sense to edit and mix in 16 bit (via software) or to upconvert everything to 24 bit and dither it back down to 16 after bouncing to disk?

Thanks

Jason

Level

Re: 16 bit -> 24 bit -> 16 bit ??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 08:29:15 AM »

All my DVD's are 24 bit in audio. For that, I see no reason to go back to 16 bit...however, if it started at 16 bit to end up at 16 bit, audio editing advantages of going to 24 bit may not outweigh the disadvantages of going back to 16 and adding dither.

To each his own. Try both ways and see for yourself. Your software may provide some surprises.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

henchman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 10:26:34 AM »

If it's a video project, it will likely end up on Digibeta which is 16 bit anyway.

So, yes, just stick with 16bit.

bobkatz

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 11:18:12 AM »

jason levy wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 08:14

Hello,

For a video project where the original source files are  16 bit, (at 48 ) does it make more sense to edit and mix in 16 bit (via software) or to upconvert everything to 24 bit and dither it back down to 16 after bouncing to disk?

Thanks

Jason

As soon as you mix, changing gain or other processing in the mixer, the output of the mixer will be the wordlength of the DSP, it will be LONGER than 16 bits. If it's a native system, it is likely to be 32 bit float. You should not have to convert your source files to longer wordlength, but yes you will have to save the output as 24 bit or dither it down prior to saving. In fact, if it's a native system, you really should dither it DOWN to 24 before saving it as 24 bits, to avoid the small quantization distortion from the 32 to 24 bit conversion.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

henchman

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 11:22:15 AM »

But if it is a native system, and the final is 16 bit, won't bouncing the final to 16 bit already apply dithering?

bobkatz

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 11:31:54 AM »

henchman wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 10:26

If it's a video project, it will likely end up on Digibeta which is 16 bit anyway.

So, yes, just stick with 16bit.

Unfortunately, both statements are incorrect.

#1. Digibeta (Digital Betacam) contains 4 channels of 20 bit audio, at 48 kHz sampling.

#2. Even if you start with 16 bit files, as soon as you put them through the DSP/mixer, your wordlength will grow. So, if you are going to put them down to a Digibeta, after mixing, they will have to be dithered DOWN to 20 bit.

Ironic, start with 16 bit, and you end up having to dither DOWN to 20... all part of the way digital audio works.

BK

henchman

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 12:02:28 PM »

Yes, this is true that the Digibeta's have 20 bit cahnenls. Howvere most post-transfer house require DA-88's for laybacks.

I think the big problem with the original question is that there is not enough info.

Just saying it is a video project is not enough.

What's the delivery format, and where will it end up.
What kind of video project is it?

wwittman

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 01:07:18 PM »

Quote:

all part of the way digital audio works.

If one can say digital recording ever "works" {g}

one learns to lessen one's expectations.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

jason levy

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 01:41:25 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input.

The original audio was recorded on Panasonic DVC pro 50 vtrs. It is then captured to to 16 bit 48k files in a Final Cut Pro system via SDI with embedded audio using a Decklink card. (www.decklink.com). All that is out of my hands. (We also get material that originates on Betacam SP analog, also captured on a digibeta deck (reads the SP as well) via SDI with embedded audio)

I receive the audio as an OMF file. 16 bits 48k. I edit and mix and must deliver an SDII (or AIFF) file that is laid back to Digibeta via Final Cut Pro and a Decklink card, via SDI embedded audio.

I notice that final cut will accept 24 bit files but I don't know if it plays them natively or does some kind of conversion on the fly. We do need to make DA88s of the stems as well as a mix.

The system we work on is based on Digital Performer software, running on a macintosh computer. Digital Performer will run in either 16 or 24 bit mode.

Again thank you everyone for your comments. They are appreciated. If there is anything I have left out I would be happy to supply that information.

Bob thanks for the comments. Just got your book on mastering and am trying to plow through it.

Jason Levy

Level

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 02:42:58 PM »

What is the delivery (final) format?

If it is DVD, go to 24 bits and stay there.

Smile
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

jason levy

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 02:43:34 PM »

Final Deliver format - Digital Betacam.

Jason

henchman

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 03:26:33 PM »

jason levy wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 13:41

We do need to make DA88s of the stems as well as a mix.

Jason Levy

Save yourself the hassle. keep it 16 bit.
There's absolutely no reason to waste time fileconverting back and forth.

By the time this hits the airwaves, the broadcaster will have screwed with it enough that you could do it at 8-bit, and most people couldn't tell the difference.

bobkatz

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 04:31:33 PM »

I receive the audio as an OMF file. 16 bits 48k. I edit and mix and must deliver an SDII (or AIFF) file that is laid back to Digibeta via Final Cut Pro and a Decklink card, via SDI embedded audio.

Assuming that the Digibeta is the final master, then if you dither your AIFF files to 20 bit in a 24 bit file, it will be fine. The Digibeta will truncate the bottom four bits, but you already predithered it.

Final Cut will work with the 24 bit files and if they don't change gain or EQ within Final cut, then your predithering to 20 bit will hold. I'm not sure which plugin that you can get for performer will dither to 20 bits, I suspect the Waves L2 will do it.

However, never turn your back on digital. If you can convince the video house to get a bitscope it would be nice.

BK

henchman

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 04:41:29 PM »

But why would you waste the time and effort?

Seriously, converting everything to 24 bits, for Broadcast post is a waste of time.
You just won't hear it. We're not talkign high quality classical recordings here.

You'll usually be dealing with medicore location sound.
We do everything at 16 bit 48k.
99% of the SFX libraries are at 16 bit.

The conversion thing really is a waste of time IMO.

Joel Silverman

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 05:45:17 PM »

henchman wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 15:41

and what about the VO being submitted to you as MP3s
Joel Silverman
Mktg Comm
JamSync
www.jamsync.com

henchman

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 06:30:18 PM »

Joel Silverman wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 17:45

henchman wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 15:41

and what about the VO being submitted to you as MP3s

Exactly. So why bother worrying about 24bit at all, or even the small about of quantization noise.

Again, my advice. Stick with 16 bit.

Otitis Media

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 10:52:19 AM »

I agree with Hench on this one.  While I don't have his vast experience with post, I did mix post for 2 years as a 9-5 gig.  I'd routinely receive 64kbps .mp3s for vox, so having even 16 bit linear PCM audio was a luxury!  Working with 24 bit is nice and all, but for broadcast post, it's not a requirement.  

I'd wager that even for features, 16 bit well recorded would be more than adequate.  

Dan Roth
Hired Gun

henchman

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 12:05:55 PM »

Otitis Media wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 07:52

I'd wager that even for features, 16 bit well recorded would be more than adequate.  

We do it all the time.

bobkatz

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 04:30:50 PM »

henchman wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 12:05

Otitis Media wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 07:52

We do it all the time.

Sure, as long as you properly deal with all the in between steps...

BK

jason levy

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 09:06:38 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input. The more one finds out the less one knows about this complex subject. I'm still trying to understand the issues involved.

Ok  - here's a question. GIven that DIgital Performer's internal processing is 32 bits :

A)  Assuming that the final output will be 16 bits, is it not just as good to work natively with the 16 bit files as opposed to up-converting all the files to 24 bit before (editing and mixing and then) bouncing to 16 bit with dither?

My impression is that given that the original files are 16 bit then there is no difference between working with the 16 bit files or working with files that were originally 16 but then converted to 24.. In both cases you are starting with 16 bits... working in a 32 bit environment, and then dithering down to 16 ( is my conjecture.. am I correct?)

B) What if we bounce to 24 bits from within this 16 bit project? That should preserve more of the quality of the 32 bit internal processing, no? and we can deliver the mixes in 24 bits which FCP can import and use.. ( though I'm still not clear on what FCP is doing with all those bits.. the technical data on the apple website is sketchy).

I assume that in this case i would set the Waves L1 Plug to dither to 24 bits? Or perhaps to 20 bits as someone mentioned given that the final destination is 20 bit Digibeta? I'm just not clear if FCP and the Decklink card is passing the data unaltered to the Digibeta or doing some processing of it's own?? Surely it must be doing something to get the 24 bit file encoded into the SDI stream as 20 bits? or is it 24 bits in that stream and is it the Digibeta that is reducing it to 20 bits?

I have spent hours on the web but can't find the answer to that; how many bits is embeded audio in a SDI stream? is it a standard? can it vary? Downloaded the SMPTE SDI standard ($22 on the Visa card).. no mention of audio.

Sorry, I think I am rambling. That's the way it's been going lately ... all questions and no answers.

Anyhow I am getting an education.. Again thank you for all your input.

Jason

jason levy

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 09:40:41 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 16:31

Even if you start with 16 bit files, as soon as you put them through the DSP/mixer, your wordlength will grow. So, if you are going to put them down to a Digibeta, after mixing, they will have to be dithered DOWN to 20 bit.

Ironic, start with 16 bit, and you end up having to dither DOWN to 20... all part of the way digital audio works.

BK

I now realize that what I was just asking was what Bob suggested 2 days ago. I had no idea what he meant then..  You can learn a lot in two days!

Thanks,

jason

Otitis Media

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 08:58:06 AM »

Here's what I would do:

use the 16 bit files as they are.  Mix in the DAW - on the master fader insert Wave's IDR or PowR dither set at 16 bit.  Provide deliverables.  

Sure, the DBeta is 20 bit, but the rest of the chain may not have that resolution.  If it sounds good at 16-bit, the extra 4 aren't going to make any real-world difference, IMHO.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

canada

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 10:29:22 AM »

IDR sounds better than L2 imho.  Good call.
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

Otitis Media

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 10:36:03 AM »

L2 has IDR built in, IIRC.  Either way, it may not be necessary to use an L2 on your master, or you may want to use a different plugin or hardware unit, whatever.  The last insert on your master fader, after anything else, should be dither - even Digidesign dither will do the trick.  I suppose you may not hear anything if you don't dither, either, but it's easy enough to pop a plugin in there and let it do it's thing.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

canada

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 11:16:18 AM »

If the IDR coding is the same shit built into the L2, then /golfclap myself.  I figured even though it had the big red "IDR" button built into it, the L2 dither might be different.  Haha.

Probably a good idea to have it separate if you have both plugs (I think they come together most of the time) though, just so you're always aware of it.  Sucks to have to do multiple mixes because you forgot about a setting buried in a random plugin.
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

Otitis Media

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »

What's your issue with the L2's IDR dither?  I use Pow-R most of the time now, but really have no issues with IDR, either.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

jason levy

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »

Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions.

jason

Ronny

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 03:17:54 AM »

henchman wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 15:26

We do need to make DA88s of the stems as well as a mix.

Jason Levy

Save yourself the hassle. keep it 16 bit.
There's absolutely no reason to waste time fileconverting back and forth.

By the time this hits the airwaves, the broadcaster will have screwed with it enough that you could do it at 8-bit, and most people couldn't tell the difference.

Sorry, this is not the best advice, IMHO. He said that he was mixing, that means further processing. All high end digital consoles, eq, fx and dyn processors process at high resolution. Native processors typically process at 32 float. High end digi processors at 48 and 64 bit. The reason why digital consoles with only 20 and 24 bit converters process the signal at 32 float is because by floating the decimal you had more accuracy to the processes. For example the Yamaha DM2000, 24 bit A/D, 32 bit native buss, eq has a 56 bit accumulator. There is absolutly no degradation when you process at higher res and return to lower native rate and it's what every digital processor designer that know his salt does. The way it works when you record a 16 bit signal to a 32 float system is, 16 empty bits are added. These bits remain empty until they are utilized in a further process. If you analyze that raw 32 bit recorded signal, it will give you an actual read of 16 bits, as the bits haven't been activated by a process yet. Let's say you  process with a native 32 bit eq with a 48 bit accumulator, the processor will utilize the empty bits for many more possible calculations increasing accuracy, they will be filled and the processor will output back to the 32 bit native depth. You analyze again and the upper 16 bits are now filled and you get an actual 32 bit read.

My suggestion, record or load in, the 16 bit signal at the highest resolution that your system supports, perform your eq, dyn's, fx and leveling processes, after you are finished mixing, dither and reduce word to 20 bit and transfer the stereo bus to the final 20 bit destination. Someone mentioned L2 will be the final process and by the way the L2 dither is IDR, just set the L2 IDR to 20 bit and you can transfer straight to the destination. The L2 has a good bit converter. If you'll read the quality DAW manuals, you'll see that almost all of them recommend raising 16 bit depth material to 32 float or 24 native if that's the max, before performing any processing, including minor processing like changing track gain levels, which will also utilize the upper empty bits, as a gain change is a process unto itself, although it doesn't benefit as much as raising depth to perform an eq process, which requires more processing power.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------