R/E/P > Terry Manning

1/2" 456 at 15ips .....!!!!!

<< < (3/5) > >>

Andy Jackson:
Me too on the 15 IEC front. The only problem is noise. It's not that it's significantly noisier than 30ips, more that the noise is a high mid 'shush', rather than a top end hiss, and seems more intrusive. An octave lower I guess!
Really depends if noise is an issue, kind of music etc. I've done all analogue albums with both the 24trk and the 1/2" as 15IEC. However the one I'm working on at the moment (analogue 2"!!!) I'm doing at 30 as it's pretty dynamic (jazz in other words).

Overdrive:
I am sure you meant +6dB over 185nW/m.
FYI, +6dB over 250 is actually +9... a level the 456 will have hard time kipping with.
Mixing to analog is great, isn't it? In my machine room are 4 Studer A80 MkII's 1/4"-2".

Brian Kehew:
I find that 30 ips (twice the sampling rate of 15) is great for some music, with fewer "overs". And 15 (half the sampling rate of 30) is great for some music, especially children's music. I tend to bypass the converters on playback though.

vernier:
Best sounding albums in my collection are 1/4 -15ips ..thats what made me change.

zmix:
compasspnt wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 13:32
I tried your new format suggestion, and discovered that I could get TWICE as much music on the tape!

Thanks.

Oh, you kids!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version