R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Phil Taylor/Astoria article in Tape Op--WTF?  (Read 4338 times)

wwittman

Re: Phil Taylor/Astoria article in Tape Op--WTF?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 12:57:02 AM »

Dark Side Of The Moon was made without Shakti Stones, directional cable, silver solder or any of the rest of it... and sounds about 100 times better than anything Pink Floyd have done since.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 01:01:29 AM »

wwittman wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 23:57

Dark Side Of The Moon was made without Shakti Stones, directional cable, silver solder or any of the rest of it... and sounds about 100 times better than anything Pink Floyd have done since.

As much as I friggen hate 'me too' posts, this one deserves an 'AMEN'...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

JackJohnston

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 01:24:15 AM »

Just better hope you never have to pass a Shakti Stone.

Jack

PlanB

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 03:54:40 AM »

I've mixed an album at Astoria last year with engineer/mixer Jon Kelly and producer/arranger Andrew Powell. At first we were very sceptical too, but the place sounds incredible. Dunno if the 'directional' cabling makes a difference though. I'm still sceptical.

But it was nice to just 'think' about using a certain piece of outboard, say, a Fairchild, and just turning to the effects rack and patch it in. The place is out of this world
Also the staff is the nicest and most competent you'll ever find.

Cheers
Arthur

karlo

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 10:49:31 AM »

phil taylor probably "stashed" a huge chunk of gilmour's budget $$$ under his own mattress, and he's now looking to publicly justify the budget overload. sounds like all he talked about was expensive items that are semi-esotheric; shit, they even modified the API pres to make them sound more "transparent".

Otitis Media

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 10:57:01 AM »

David Schober wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005

No kidding...If I remember correctly he said something about it being "only five times as expensive as normal cable."

I took this statement to be puffery.  It seems like they've bought into the "audiophile" side of things quite heavily.  Whatever works for you, I suppose.  It's only money.  And we're all odd ducks in this business anyway, so take it with a grain of salt and you'll be fine...

Perhaps Shakti is a misspelling?  

Tchotchke sounds more appropriate to me...http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chachka
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

bblackwood

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 11:35:09 AM »

karlo wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 09:49

phil taylor probably "stashed" a huge chunk of gilmour's budget $$$ under his own mattress, and he's now looking to publicly justify the budget overload. sounds like all he talked about was expensive items that are semi-esotheric; shit, they even modified the API pres to make them sound more "transparent".

Wow, I don't think accusations such as that are warranted. If Gilmour was unhappy, do you think he would still be with him 20 years later? Let's keep the character attacks about people we don't know off the boards, please.

Besides, they wouldn't be the first people to modify APIs to make them less colored...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

karlo

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 08:35

karlo wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 09:49

Wow, I don't think accusations such as that are warranted. If Gilmour was unhappy, do you think he would still be with him 20 years later? Let's keep the character attacks about people we don't know off the boards, please.

Besides, they wouldn't be the first people to modify APIs to make them less colored...

you're 100% right and my appologies to mr taylor...no accusation here as i used "probably" to make sure noone gets offended. just a gist of how i felt reading the interview.

Former Oceanway drone

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 04:14:10 PM »

With all due respect, I've heard more than a few things over the years that sounded damn good that could not be scientifically explained by the people at the time. Cables fall into that group. I swapped some cables out once and spent the next 30 minutes trying to get my audience to shut up about how big the change in sound was so that I could enjoy the change.

There's lots of stuff in the world that can't be explained rationally. That doesn't mean it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Moreover, if somebody can walk into a recording studio and get great sounds consistently, I don't really give a shit how they do it, and if others can replicate it. I just want that person to come back.

So until you can absolutely prove that something isn't doing what somebody claims it is doing (something that is notoriously difficult to do), maybe you all could hold off on the "fairy dust" rhetoric which is pretty damn unscientific as well.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.