R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bumping Up SR Just Before Mixdown  (Read 2744 times)

cerberus

Re: Bumping Up SR Just Before Mixdown
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 04:21:27 PM »

I have made a new discovery.

I am mixing a project I bumped up beforehand.  The orignal files were: 16 bit/44.1khz. The recording hit full scale in places.  When I up-converted:  Surprise ! the data inside really used up to 32 bits even where it was not so close to full scale.  

I think I found that Mr. Katz's advice to me is incorrect, as his recommendation not to raise the bit depth of the audio files before mixing appears highly likely to cause truncation during the SRC.

cerberus

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 05:21:11 PM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 16:21

I have made a new discovery.

I am mixing a project I bumped up beforehand.  The orignal files were: 16 bit/44.1khz. The recording hit full scale in places.  When I up-converted:  Surprise ! the data inside really used up to 32 bits even where it was not so close to full scale.  

I think I found that Mr. Katz's advice to me is incorrect, as his recommendation not to raise the bit depth of the audio files before mixing appears highly likely to cause truncation during the SRC.

cerberus

This is truly dependent on the software. If the software is braindead it's going to do strange things...   The object is to pick the destination format, the native format of the DAW. For example, take in  16/44 file, SRC it and save that to a 32/48 file. Whatever. If the software does not permit you to do that and requires intermediate steps, take it up with the designer!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

cerberus

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 08:47:28 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 17:21

... If the software does not permit you to do that and requires intermediate steps, take it up with the designer!

I alone cannot make them accountable for what they refuse to publish for public consumption.

I want someone with some authority...some influence, some weight... Someone who cannot be ignored, blown off, or lied to..... such as yourself to conduct these tests for THD on software SRCs.  Software designers are not compelled to provide me with this information, so the answer I get will depend on my attitude, and on their personal integrity;  neither can be assumed and both could affect the results I get.
I already asked software designers about their faders and mixers.. According to each of them whom I asked : Their faders and mixers are all perfect, etc.. but I know I was lied to more than once.

Since I want to maintain good relations with developers whose products I need or I could not work, I especially do not want to do this personally, not good for my carreer to be the 'emperor has no clothes' kid.. but I can say it here:  HE'S NAKED !

I know I haven't been so nice either, but for the benefit of us all, someone please test  the common offline software SRCs for THD (PC and Mac) and publish some hard data.  TIA.

cerberus

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 09:30:40 PM »

cerberus wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 15:21

...I think I found that Mr. Katz's advice to me is incorrect, as his recommendation not to raise the bit depth of the audio files before mixing appears highly likely to cause truncation during the SRC...
I think you misunderstood him. If you sample rate convert or even turn the volume down and then write it out as a file, you indeed DO need to write the resulting file at full bit depth. There's still no need to convert bit-depth if you are using something as a source but aren't changing THAT particular file.

I think it's crucial to be testing all software yourself exactly as it's crucial to test analog hardware. Plenty of both come broken from the factory.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 17 queries.