R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music for films/television  (Read 1416 times)

webster

Music for films/television
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:41:53 PM »

Hello,

New to this board.

I'm in the process of recording a whole bunch of tunes aimed for use in television/films/commercials/radio spots/anything, but my problem is this: I have no idea who to market my music to. Would I go to ad agencies? production houses? straight to local stations/networks?

any help would be immensly appreciated.

Cheers!

j.hall

Re: Music for films/television
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 08:13:10 AM »

original ad jingles you need to pitch to agencies

film stuff i'm guessing you'd need a publisher or something.

bloodstone

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 09:33:09 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  I tried pursuing a creative relationship with UFO Music in NY, focused on publishing, sync and distribution.   That went south.  You could definitely try to get an administrative publishing deal with the publishing wing of a label (or an independent publisher).  They would try to place your tunes on TV/Film/Radio or with recording artists.  I tried Bug Music, but their attitude was "Why would I want to publish your work?"

I had a little headway with Universal Publishing in the recent past.  One thing they were big on was documentation of your track record.  I got 15 of my original tunes on MTV Road Rules and Real World episodes.  I ended up sending them copies of my royalty statements from BMI to prove I had achieved something on my own.  It never really went anywhere, but they would take my calls, listen to what I sent them, and respond to emails.  

Sometimes studios will buy stuff so they can put it in their library to draw from when they're producing commercials.

You could also try to find an independent filmmaker who needs soundtrack material.

Another great avenue is trying to get your stuff played on Sports Radio.  You could mail it to the producer of the show.  Or the host. Or both.

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 02:33:24 PM »

Go over to the Marsh, and look in the Industry forum.  I posted some answers to other topics pertaining to Music for TV and Film that might help you guys out...

let me see if I can find some links...here are a couple...

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/5115/
http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/4918/
http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/4403/

Not sure if these will directly answer any questions you have or if you'll feel they pertain to your situation, but they might at least give you some directions to look in...  If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask and I'll see if I have (or can find for you) an answer.
Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 16 queries.