R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Emperors New Clothes?  (Read 37417 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: The Emperors New Clothes?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2005, 04:51:26 PM »

Brian, I remember a couple years ago when your pitch was "There's no phone in the studio, so we get much more work done."  In your modesty, you made it sound like that was why you were getting those cool masters, when we knew all along it was your Quad 8 console.  
Very Happy

As far as the mad scientist thing goes, maybe I should start wearing a lab coat at all times when I'm recording.  But I honestly could't hang out with you and call myself a mad scientist, while you are helping design synths for Alesis and fixing Rabbit's B3.  As long as you know that it's just an eminence front.  Hmmmm... I wonder how much a lab coat goes for on eBay?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Bill Mueller

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2005, 08:27:49 PM »

J.J. wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 16:51

Hmmmm... I wonder how much a lab coat goes for on eBay?

I've got one stored in the basement but it has this strange green glowing stuff smeared on it. Didn't hurt me none!?!!?!?

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

maxim

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2005, 08:58:11 PM »

i think a few splashes of blood would add to the authenticity and really impress the clients

also, to keep it on topic, you can be comfortably naked underneath

wwittman

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2005, 12:37:01 AM »

you know, it occurs to me that there IS a differnece between the Emperor's New Clothes and just clothes you think are ugly but the corwd seems to like.

When the producer hits the "near" button and exclaims how NOW the mix 'has it!" .. then he's truly admiring the naked emperor.

But when the engineer puts on the Apex set to stun and it sounds like crap to YOU but the producer loves it, that's just a TASTE difference.
( or lack of any)

so it's not ENC, to me, when someone does something I might not like or agree with or see a need for.
It IS ENC when someone puts the "great box I found at a flea market that I hear the Kinks used on all their records..." on the vocal NOT becasue he really believes it will help the vocal but becasue it's all dusty weird looking and it might fool the client into thinking his record just got all indie and cool..
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

J.J. Blair

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2005, 11:14:28 AM »

William, you'll never guess who was showing off to me (years ago) their compressor that was used on Dark Side of the Moon and a compressor that came from a German U boat.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

arconaut

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2005, 12:55:29 PM »

I realize we've drifted a bit from the original post, but the discussion of faking out people with non-functional buttons reminded me of a passage from the book "The Fabulous Phonograph", by Roland Gelatt. It's a history of sound recording up until the 50's, mostly focusing on classical music.

The author is discussing Victor records and their first electrical recordings with Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra:

"From the same source in 1927 and 1928 came a half dozen issues that set a world standard for reproduced sound... Stokowski was not content merely to conduct and leave all else to the engineers. Microphone placement, the seating arrangement of his orchestra, sound reflectors, monitoring panels - the entire paraphernalia of recording intrigued him. It has been said, indeed, that he became too intrigued and dabbled so persistently in the deep waters of electrical engineering that Victor had to appease his lust by providing him with a set of control dials next to the podium that were connected to absolutely nothing."

So, this may be one of the oldest tricks of the trade.

Noah
You Are Number Six

Brian Kehew

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »

Looking back on this thread - it's a topic to consider: maybe a new thread I'll put up right now. "Function or Distraction"...
Relax and float downstream...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.