R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas Lucas Lucas...........Nutz about Lucas!!!!!!!!  (Read 15242 times)

Dennis Allen Cupp

Lucas Lucas Lucas...........Nutz about Lucas!!!!!!!!
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:03:05 PM »

Does anyone else around REP land know about the Lucas Brand of Tube Equipment?

Ive got a Lucas Limiter
Lucas 3 band Parametric
and a FABULOUS Lucas Graphic EQ.

Oddly enough, THESE 3 boxes are my secret weapons of mass distruction. Setting nicly with some of my Manley & API stuff.

I never see it talked about and just wondered why......

Terry should MASS market this line. Its too good to be kept secret!

I gotta tell you, the Lucas Limiter combined with my Lucas Graphic......it makes all my bass players grin for miles!

Dennis C
Memphis TN

compasspnt

Re: Lucas Lucas Lucas...........Nutz about Lucas!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »

Thank you for the very kind words.

These are my "secret weapons" also, but you are letting the secret out.  Actually, I have sold a few pieces to various engineers or producers, who all love them.  And I have a waiting list of names you wouldn't believe of people who have used them, and then insisted on having some for themselves.

I just have so much to do here with productions, engineering and mixing, running a studio, and everything else, that I don't concentrate on this.  However, there are a couple of things in the works where we may find a way to get more units made for those who would want them (sorry if this seems to be using the forum to advertise; I'm not...I'm just trying to answer the question).

I must use this place to give credit to my partner in crime, Mr. Frank Lacy, who is the great technician who took my ideas and made them reality...something I could not do without genius help.  I will be hooking up with Frank shortly to discuss how we can make this all work.

Thanks again.

Terry

http://members.aol.com/lucaseng

PS: I'm mixing through them right now!

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:34:37 PM »

Terry,

Frank is my hero! What a wonderful geek he is indeed!

Tell me more about the Lucas Pre, i have not heard of this.

I know of franks JFL line, but i have never heard of the Lucas Pre. I am actually quite proud of my little arsenal of Lucas Gear. My Lucas limiter is one of the Early Prototypes with the HUGE VU meter! I feel very fortunate to have nabbed it when i did. Frank keeps telling me to leave it with him, in order to do some tweaks and mods to it...i fear he wants it ALL FOR HIMSELF Smile Not to mention it sounds incredible now, what MORE could he possibly do to it?

He tells me the Graphic EQ was based on the API graphic, just that its loaded with tubes instead. He mentioned taking it around to a few places here in Elvisville and no one wanted it. When he told me about it, i was tempted to follow him home! But he brought it to the studio the next day, and its one of my all time favorite boxes. His advise on it is wise and sound. He said "Little Bumps, thats all", and he is right. Just a nudge gives me THUNDEROUS bass tracks. He tells me its a one of a kind box. DID YOU not get one? I find that hard to imagine!
My 3 Band parametric is the bees knees on Kick Drum, and gives a rather thin vocalist some BALLZ.

Just to bad no one else gets to experience this sonic bliss!

Whats the signifigance of the Lucas name?

Dennis

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 04:56:37 AM »

The Lucas limiting amplifiers were a huge hit at Ardent. They engineers told me they sounded similar to a UA176, which was a perennial fav there...

Of course, the guys over at Sounds Unreel have a few of the boxes as well. Been threatening to borrow that mono EQ and just give it  a listen for some time...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 08:31:16 AM »

Funny thing is that i picked up my Graphic EQ when Frank was doing some work over at Sounds Unreel about 2 years ago.

Walked in, talked to Jack Holder for a bit, then frank found me...we walked into the other room where my New EQ lay. Jack followed out of curiosity (i think) saw what i had and asked about it in this sad look on his face as frank was telling me the story behind the unit.

Odd thing is this, Jack and Sounds Unreel had this box for a while to try it out, but it was when Frank delivered TONS of Lucas stuff to them, so i am not sure they EVEN powered it up to try it, because Jack acted as if he'd never seen it before. Months before when Sounds Unreel passed on it, Frank took it home with him and he said it sat in his workshop for several months. When he told me about it, saying it was a one of a kind.............DUDE, i was all over it!

I was tracking bass with it last night, and its the Bee's Knees!
You know its special when you plug it in and your face turns into the Jack Nicholson Joker Face! Its got a grin factor of about a Million on a 1-10 scale!

Its one of my all time favorite Purchases.

Dennis

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:13:15 AM »

Dennis,

I have one ten band tube Lucas graphic EQ.  It is indeed cool.  But the absolute best in my opinion is the 4 band parametric.  Cannot be beaten.  By anything.

MPatterson

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 07:17:46 PM »

Michael Patterson here. I have had  the luck of working down at Compass Point a few years ago with Terry and  also being from Memphis as everyone else here so far is as well.
I hope you have forgiven me for trying to throw my iced tea out the door in frustration..and missing. Still sick about the 67. I used the Lucas stuff down there as well and while I did not buy it from you I have horded the used market so that I have 2 limiters and 1 three band EQ. I use them on every mix. As I am mixing in Protools with analog summing now and bouncing stuff to tape after I process it in the analog word the current #1 song in Denmark has about 20 tracks of Lucas on it.
Hope the three of you are doing well down there.
I need to convince someone to let me work on a record down there. With the dollar being killed by Bush's economic stupidity I would be you are getting a bunch of artist from Europe down there. If not then you should be. I had an amazing time down there and want to come back. i want the apartment above the studio this time!
What was the main assistant's name then? I really liked him. He was on the ball.
I think it started with an "S".
Be Well.

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 07:50:24 PM »

MPatterson wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 19:17

... I hope you have forgiven me for trying to throw my iced tea out the door in frustration..and missing. Still sick about the 67. I used the Lucas stuff down there as well and while I did not buy it from you I have hoarded the used market so that I have 2 limiters and 1 three band EQ. I use them on every mix. As I am mixing in Protools with analog summing now, and bouncing stuff to tape after I process it in the analog world, the current #1 song in Denmark has about 20 tracks of Lucas on it...

... I had an amazing time down there and want to come back. I want the apartment above the studio this time!
What was the main assistant's name then? I really liked him. He was on the ball.
I think it started with an "S".

Hello Michael,

Always good to hear from you.  Also thanks for the kind words on the gear.  (A lot of people NOT from Memphis have it, too, but it doesn't look that way from this thread!)

We still have a nice carpet stain from your tea episode...it's always a pleasant reminder of your visit!

The "lost" mic was a U-48, though, not a 67.  Tragic either way; I'll never get over that one.

The assistant/engineer/tech here is Osie.  He says hi back.

Are you still based in LA?

Thanks again!

zmix

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 08:49:14 PM »

I once owned a 1969 Rover 2000TC, which naturally featured a "lucas" electrical system....

... I certainly hope that there is no connection here...

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 09:05:32 PM »

DennisC wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 15:34

Tell me more about the Lucas Pre, i have not heard of this.

I have two of the mic pre's.  One is the very first prototype, and sounds great, but there was a hum because of the placement of a power transformer (which we worked around by turning it), so on the second one, which I also have, the power supply is in a second 2U unit, which I mount at least a space away from the mic pre electronics.

The units are "based" loosely upon the Neve 2 stage architecture, but with improvements, and using valves (tubes) instead of the discreet transistors.  I could not work without this unit.

Quote:

He tells me the Graphic EQ was based on the API graphic, just that its loaded with tubes instead....DID YOU not get one? I find that hard to imagine!

These things are true.  We tried to take vintage designs which I liked and used, and improve them, again with tubes instead.  I do indeed have one.

Quote:

My 3 Band parametric is the bees knees on Kick Drum, and gives a rather thin vocalist some BALLZ.

Yes.

Quote:

Just too bad no one else gets to experience this sonic bliss!

Working on that.

Quote:

What's the signifigance of the Lucas name?

When I was first getting this stuff going, my son Lucas was being born.  I thought it would be a nice tribute, and was also a good sounding brand, as well as a son.  He is now 14, and he's grown up seeing his name everywhere around the studio.  I also made a lot of customised guitars of various sorts which also bear the Lucas name on the headstocks.  Many of these have dual outputs ("Dual Exhaust" models, utilising two complete different sets of pickups and electronics on one guitar) so that they can be routed to two different amps at once ("midi" for guitar), but with various different pickup sounds.  Works great for "dual tonality, without buildup."

Collins

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »

("Dual Exhaust Guitars")

Terry,

Have you ever done this to a Telecaster?....
I'm in the process of yet another PU change-out
on mine. I read this and thought this would
be really cool to try.

Perhaps you could pass along a few tips?
A short list of What not to do.

or basic schematics/sketches, parts list maybe?
(if not proprietary of course...)

Thanks much,
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.