R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Popstrology  (Read 12776 times)

David Kulka

Popstrology
« on: March 25, 2005, 08:50:07 PM »

The "Talk of the Town" column in this week's New Yorker reviews "Popstrology", a 400 page book by Ian Van Tuyl, which explores the influence of songs that were hits at the time of ones birth.  ("Use the pop music charts to reveal your personality traits, guide your relationships, and discover your true destiny".)  The author identifies 45 musical "constellations" (Lite & White, Mustache Rock, Shaking Booty, and so on) and identifies elements such as sexiness, soulfulness, and durability.

According to the New Yorker, President Bush is an Ink Spot whose Birthsong is "The Gypsy", and Paul Wolfowitz is a Mills Brother whose Birthsong is "Paper Doll."  ("I'd rather have a paper doll to call my own than have a fickle-minded real live girl.")  On the other hand, 50 Cent's Birthsong is "Afternoon Delight", by the Starland Vocal Band.  (Wasn't that produced by John Denver?)  Perhaps the seeming contradictions between soul and total lack of soul speak to the duality of man.  Or not.

The book's home page (http://www.popstrology.com/popstrology_cover.html) claims that Popstrology officially begins on April 21, 1956, when "Heartbreak Hotel" reached number one.  I was born in '53, but I found my Birthsong on a website that has Cash Box charts back to 1950, http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/randypny/cashbox/.

To my delight I learned that my Birthsong is "Vaya Con Dios" by Les Paul & Mary Ford, a great song that I often play on Itunes.  Since Les Paul is credited with inventing multitrack recording, this may explain why I was drawn to the audio industry.  The bummer is, #2 that week was "No Other Love", by Perry Como.  Well, I'll settle for being a Les Paul with Perry Como descending.  Thank God it wasn't the other way around, though the website addresses this concern ("What if my Birthsong is really, really uncool?")

Who knows, maybe there's something to it.  If distant planets can influence us at birth, why not the song that was playing while mom cooed over us, or radio waves from the 50,000 watt transmitters of WLS in Chicago, or WDIA in Memphis?
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

compasspnt

Re: Popstrology
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:07:33 PM »

Well, when I first read of this, I thought it was complete BS...another bit of furbelow in the melange of modern social science...

But then I did the research.  And when I found my birth song, it all became clear.......

"Oops I Did It Again" by Britney Spears!

Tim Halligan

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 09:52:32 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 10:07

"Oops I Did It Again" by Britney Spears!

LMFBO!  Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

Thankfully, it only seems aimed at Americans and Canadians...otherwise I'd be stuck with The Supremes "Where did our Love Go?". NTTAWWT.

Actually, that would probably be more preferable to whatever crap was on the Australian charts at the time...

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

maxim

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 07:39:28 AM »

'ruby tuesday' with 'strawberry fields' rising

no wonder i love music

echorec

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:08:50 AM »

The Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

Smile Hmm, might be true...

rankus

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 12:27:27 PM »

'
'
Good lord... Mine is  Volar
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 12:33:15 PM »

The Temptations' "I Can't Get Next To You" with Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds" rising.

Not too shabby, eh?  I was afraid it was going to be Peter, Paul and Mary.  Christ, could you imagine them having a #1 in 2005?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

cgc

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 06:07:43 PM »

Quote:

Birthdates
Jan 1-Jan 11
Elton John

David Kulka

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 09:40:04 PM »

rankus wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 09:27

Good lord... Mine is  Volar
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

cgc

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 12:59:05 PM »

David Kulka wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 20:40

(BTW, amazing that "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Ha" actually reached #1.  When was the last time a comedy or novelty record topped the charts?)

Have you heard the chart music these days?  

Otitis Media

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 03:13:30 PM »

Ah Christ, mine is Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life".  Fuck.  At least it's not a total bummer, as it doesn't look like there was a single chart topper in '77 worth a damn.  Kinda like the last 5 years...

I fucking hate that shit, btw, all that Manilow/Boone/Streisand easy listening melancholy sounding arrangement garbage.  Why couldn't I have had a COOL song?  Some of the #2's looked pretty good.  Of course, not MY week.  The week after has a Kansas tune as a #2.  Not the best, but beats whatever Diana Ross schlock I have to put up with.  Oh dear god.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

drumsound

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 03:46:05 PM »

I was just checking out the book last night at a friend's house.  It's a riot.

My birth year artist is the Jackson 5.  My birth song is "American Woman" by the Guess Who.  My Constellations are Mustache Rock, Oh...Canada and Launching Pad.

The mustache thing is funny.  I had one at TapeOpCon last year and I think I met more people because of it than anything.
index.php/fa/895/0/

Greg Dixon

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 08:47:58 PM »

Well, I also think it's a load of crap, but fun none the less. I did pretty well.
The week before I was born, was

HELLO, I LOVE YOU by The Doors and PEOPLE GOT TO BE FREE by The Rascals.

The week I was born,

PEOPLE GOT TO BE FREE and Steppenwolf's BORN TO BE WILD.

Ah, the advantages of being born in '68.

djui5

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 09:59:59 PM »

ha..I'm cool. According to this thing mine is

Frankie Valli: Grease
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

Gordon Rice

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 09:57:48 AM »

Hey--

There's a site:

www.thisdayinmusic.com

that will give you the US and UK #1s for your date of birth.

Percy Faith & His Orch., Theme from "A Summer Place"--ecccch!

I do feel slightly redeemed, though:  Elvis' plane back from his tour of duty in Germany touched down the same day I was born and I share the date of birth with JS Bach.  I suppose it could be worse . . .
Audio Engineer
Philadelphia PA
(Yeah, there've been some changes . . .)

Where are we going and what am I doing in this handbasket?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up