R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 224x or 224xl?  (Read 2426 times)

River

224x or 224xl?
« on: March 25, 2005, 08:17:45 PM »

I find myself in an unusual situation -

I just bought a non-functional "Lexicon 224" for a really decent price, hoping that it might be something that I could repair.

It arrived today along with it's white, metal, original 224 controller.  It has the usual, all black with NO blue faceplate clearly stating that it's a 224.

I looked around back to hook up the cable and found a 9 pin D-sub connector where there sould be a 25 pin connector.

Then I opened up the unit and found the ROMs were labeled as "224xl version 8.2".

Confused, I called Jim Fabiano and explained it all to him.  According to Jim it's a 224xl.  Strange, because I didn't know that anyone ever upgraded the original 224s.  Also strange, because it came with the original 224 remote.

So, we discussed my options, and it appears that they are to either try to find a LARC for the XL or to have him downgrade it to a 224x and use it that way.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what my best options might be?  It will probably cost around $500 to have it downgraded.  If I can find a LARC for about the same price or a little more, would I be gaining anything over the 224x?  What is added when you use the LARC?

Lastly, anyone have a 224xl that they'd be able to take some front and back pics of, just so I can verify a few things?

Thanks!

Fletcher

Re: 224x or 224xl?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:47:09 AM »

I think the sound of the 224X buries the 224XL... especially the plates, especially the "constant density plate".  If you decide to go that route, I have an old blue controller that may be missing a part or two [but it does have the blue metal facure] that I'll be happy to give you [what the hell am I going to do with it... I have a KSP-8!!].
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

River

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 12:03:40 PM »

Hey Fletcher -

That would be great - I think that's probably the best route to take.

I'm trying to track down service manuals - I'm really curious to know what the differences are between the two.

I'll send you a private message to work out the details.

Thanks!

Tomás Mulcahy

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 07:29:53 AM »

This link might help also:

http://www.audiomedia.com/archive/features/uk-0901/uk-0901-o utboard/uk-0901-outboard.htm

River

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 08:15:01 PM »

Just a big, public thanks -

Got the remote today.  Thanks Fletcher and Thanks Jay for everything.

I'll have a little something out to you shortly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.