R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motown Remixed  (Read 12247 times)

RMoore

Motown Remixed
« on: March 23, 2005, 06:45:52 PM »

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

compasspnt

Re: Motown Remixed
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 06:51:24 PM »

Ryan Moore wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 18:45

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_co ntent_id=1000853976

HEY BOB!

R U  as EXCITED as I am?

Jørn Bonne

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 06:57:29 PM »

David Kulka

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 08:33:51 PM »

They're all fantastic songs.  I'll buy the CD and I'm sure it will be interesting, but I can't help being somewhat skeptical.  I wonder if some of the remixes will be all elongated and twisted around, with little resemblance to the original song?

Also, I bemusedly wonder how many times a song like "My World Is Empty Without You" has been re-released over the years.  Perhaps a hundred times or more?  How many times did Motown, and the successors/buyers of Motown put out yet another LP or CD out, wringing a little more profit from an iconic hit?

Hey, it's all good, and this will probably make for great dance music in the clubs.  I'll plunk down my 15 or 20 bucks and put the CD on my living room shelf.   I doubt that the remix CD will really matter to anyone five years from now, though I see myself playing the old albums and CD's for the rest of my natural life, or as long as I can hear.

Copied from the link:

Here is the track list for "Motown Remixed":

"I Want You Back" (Jackson 5), DJ Z-Trip
"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (Gladys Knight & the Pips), the Randy Watson Experience
"Let's Get It On" (Marvin Gaye), DA Producers
"Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (Stevie Wonder), DJ Smash
"ABC" (Jackson 5), Salaam Remi
"I Just Want To Celebrate" (Rare Earth), Mocean Worker
"Papa Was a Rolling Stone" (Temptations), DJ Jazzy Jeff & Pete Kuzma
"Quiet Storm" (Smokey Robinson), Groove Boutique featuring Roy Ayers
"My World Is Empty Without You" (Diana Ross & the Supremes), Tranzition
"Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" (Temptations), Easy Mo Bee
"Smiling Faces Sometimes" (Undisputed Truth), Futureshock Entertainment
"The Tears of a Clown" (Smokey Robinson & the Miracles), Hotsnax
"Keep on Truckin'" (Eddie Kendricks), DJ Spinna
"War" (Edwin Starr), King Britt
"Mary Jane" (Rick James), DJ Green Lantern
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

Curve Dominant

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 08:47:07 PM »

Quote:

"War" (Edwin Starr), King Britt

SHOUT TO THE PHILLY HOMEBOY!!!

Ahhh...I see now there's THREE tracks from Philly on this disk.

I WONDER WHY??

nobby

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »

Well, I haven't heard it, but so far every remix of a classic song I've heard that's been done by a club DJ has been about as subtle as a mass murderer performing open heart surgery with a chainsaw.

YMMV

"Rock 'n' Roll, if it were a movie, would be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

~ Slipperman

RIP Steve "Loudist" Gursky

Tim Halligan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 11:35:36 PM »

nobby wrote on Fri, 25 March 2005 04:59

Well, I haven't heard it, but so far every remix of a classic song I've heard that's been done by a club DJ has been about as subtle as a mass murderer performing open heart surgery with a chainsaw.

YMMV

Understatement of the decade.

...and I think you may have been holding back...

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

punkest

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 12:45:03 AM »

nobby wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 20:59

YMMV

Hahaha, almost always true, but I got an example to show that there are exeptions to the rule: the album Chant Down Babylon has some good remixes and new performances over original Bob Marley material, but as you said, it is rare when something like that works, and in this case only some of the songs had very good results, while others are mediocre and one or two very bad.

ttauri

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 08:28:25 AM »

nobby wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 20:59

Just heard some tracks from the latest go-round of the Verve Remixed series yesterday. Truly some vomitous stuff (the disemboweling of Shirley Horn's "Come Dance With Me" was extra wretched).

I just shake my head sadly most of the times I hear these things (and I'm a dance guy). To quote Wesley Snipes-as-Blade: "Some MFs always trying to ice-skate uphill."

OTOH, there's been a little boom of "re-edits" on the underground side of things lately, that's produced some nice-to-listen-to stuff--I think because the idea of re-editing isn't supposed be too unfaithful to the original, just reshape the arrangement a bit, it doesn't really overwhelm so much. Reminds me of the early days of hip-hop DJing, where running the break was a way of taking a familiar song just enough into the unfamiliar to give it that dash of extra excitement for the dancers.

Peece,
T. Tauri

senorsmoke

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 10:18:27 PM »

isn't it sad that's all there is now? I mean c'mon, mangling a song into submission with the computer or turntable and set it with a loud ass dance beat? Whaaaaat?? Surely this will come to a grinding halt one day and people will go back to playing instruments...or are we doomed?

Curve Dominant

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 10:33:08 PM »

senorsmoke wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 04:18

isn't it sad that's all there is now? I mean c'mon, mangling a song into submission with the computer or turntable and set it with a loud ass dance beat? Whaaaaat?? Surely this will come to a grinding halt one day and people will go back to playing instruments...or are we doomed?

George,

I can understand you view, but try not to look at it that way.

Consider that a lot of (mostly young) people will hear these songs who otherwise might not, at least not in their native habitats (the clubs).

And that these peeps will get turned on to this music, and seek out the original material.

The very existence of this Motown remix CD is a testament to the longevity of that music. I know some of the cats who worked on some of those remixes, and I know they have a genuine love for that music. You might not feel their remixes are your cup of tea, but they are honoring that music in their own way.

Peace.

senorsmoke

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 03:29:23 AM »

Eric,
fair enough...although anyone who hasn't heard these songs before must be living under a BIG rock. I still think it's sad that most of the "peeps" out there have been denied even a beginning music class to be able to recognize an instrument. I do also have some regard for hip hop etc so I know I'm not under that rock...
Hopefully in theory then, some kid will say "that song's dope" and start buying Lonnie Smith records..then maybe "On the Corner" etc...great. I just don't hear the kids starting at that point yet.
Of course, the music biz only wants to sell what sells. Chalk one up for whoever is making a buck of this.
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.