R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a humble 5.1 setup.  (Read 2595 times)

the dice

a humble 5.1 setup.
« on: March 23, 2005, 05:19:35 AM »

heya.

first post on this forum.

next to the excisting stereo mastering and dvd authoring room I am planning to set up a modest 5.1 mastering.

what do i want to do?!

level and QC surround mixes and then encode them to DTS and AC3 to import in our dvd authoring room.

What we already have...

apple G5
Nuendo
Apogee rosetta 800 + firewire card
quested monitors.

the room sounds good.

so..
any good tips for handling the sound?

i would start of fully digital..

my thoughts:

m6000, plug-ins...

the thing about the m6000 is that it is a LOT of money for that thing and i am also thinking of the fact that TC might come out with something new very soon...

so.

good plug ins around?!

any other advice?

thx

vince

bblackwood

Re: a humble 5.1 setup.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:36:04 AM »

As the demand for surround has been very small here, I still haven't made any permanent move towards having surround processing here full time, and doubt it'll ever be all analog as the demand is simply too low right now. On the surround projects I have done, I've rented a TC6k for the gig and it worked well, though it was always operating at 48k. My understanding is that it cannot easily do surround processing (say, hires EQ and compression) at 96k right now, and from what I have heard from those close to TC, there are no plans to update the 6k anytime soon. Maybe some of the TC6k owners can chime in and correct me/clarify the situation as needed.

I'm not a plugin guy, but surround seems like the perfect place to introduce them to mastering. Of course, I have no idea what's available...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

the dice

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 05:49:22 AM »

yeah!

same situation over here in belgium.

i do author a lot of 5.1 dvd's but they are all "false" surround.

(just stereo mixes with lots a reverb in the back...)

most of the time people did already finalized their stuff in mixing studio so they don't need/want a mastering.

but now i have a few demands to level some stuff and QC it...

so it doesn't have to top top.

although i would love to have an ssl 5.1 compressor in 3 avalon EQ's...

there is not enough work and demand for that.

we were thinking of buying the 6000 and swap it between the dvd room and the mastering room (that has a 5000 in there) so we might still do that. cause i want a multiband running above 48. now we have to downsample in front of the 5000, that works as well but it is a bitch to A/B.

anyone knows decent plugs?! the waves stuff? are they mono or really surround??

cheers and thx.

vincent

jackthebear

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 06:24:28 AM »

The Waves stuff is surround. I think you need to TDM however.

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Michael Costa

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:30:19 PM »

Quote:

My understanding is that it cannot easily do surround processing (say, hires EQ and compression) at 96k right now

Just to correct you a little Brad as you invited, the M6K can easily do 96K hi res and compression right now.  The only downside is that some of the algorithms require more than the requistite one engine to do their business at 96K.  I'm 99% sure you can use the stock 5.1 EQ and the MD5.1 algorithm (all the dynamics) at the same time at 96K.  It's the MDW EQ that gets a little greedy with the DSP.

I'm a little grumpy with the M6K at the moment because the mainframe has died on me, so it's off for service!

Michael Costa

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 09:42:16 PM »

In reference to the plugs question:

Being a bit of a "plugin in 5.1" guy, there's quite a few legit 5.1 plugs now.
Of course there's no need to talk of EQs, because being static devices you can link them as multi-mono into whatever channel config you like.  

Being a mastering forum, there's not much need to talk 5.1 reverbs but Digi's own ReVibe is true 5.1 and Sony are promising their Oxford Reverb will be 5.1 at some future time.  Waves IR360 is a true surround reverb too which drinks your CPU heavily but G5s can handle it, but they also have a reasonable reverb in their TDM 360 bundle.

Dynamics wise, there's Digi's Impact and  Smack! compressors which offer true 5.1 modes.  The Waves 360 bundle has a fixed ratio and knee [ie very soft] 5.1 compressor with lots of different detection modes for its three detectors.  Their L360 limiter works the same, supposedly providing L2 style limiting in a three detector 5.1 environment but without any release controls.  This is the only true 5.1 limiter plugin within the Pro Tools environment to my knowledge.

I'm sure there's more 5.1 stuff but not being in front of the system at the moment I can't check, but the Waves 360 bundle alone can really get you going.  It's not cheap and it's not separable but it covers all the bases reasonably well in one hit, including bass management and folddowns - plus there's nothing else competing with it, making it pretty much compulsory unless you want to do all that stuff outboard, which is certainly possible but even more expensive (read TC6000 etc).

the dice

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:17:29 AM »

hey!

thx for the answers!

i will try out the waves stuff and see what it gives..

don't need reverbs. indeed. but they might be handy..

i'll have a look!

cheers

vince

the dice

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 06:36:11 AM »

hey.

any surround plugins that work on nuendo 3?!

i know...

sony dynamics (on powercore) ,

steindberg surround edition: this is very cheap looking... anyone worked with it?!

iff i could find a decent 5.1 EQ to go with the oxford... that would be cool.

thanks!

vince
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.