R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Roger Waters @ Compass Point  (Read 35921 times)

compasspnt

Roger Waters @ Compass Point
« on: March 22, 2005, 11:14:06 PM »

DennisC wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 15:39

Well, you have been more than generous with the ZZ Top stories.
Do you happen to have any Roger Waters stories to share?
CP is credited on one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE albums, Amused to Death.

Can you share anything at all about those sessions?

Hi Dennis,

I too love Amused To Death, and was really into Radio KAOS back in the day, which was also done here.  Although I wasn't stationed yet at Compass Point when he recorded those, Roger has been coming to Compass Point in recent years as well, and has become a good friend.  He's been working on a new album, and I must say it is great.  I don't think it will be finished for a while yet, though.

Roger was also at CPS recently to put the very final blessings on the SACD remixing from the original multitrack masters of Dark Side Of The Moon.  For those, James Guthrie went back to the oldest multi's; the original vinyl album was mixed from bounced, second generation multitracks, so the originals had never been fully used before.  Back when tracked, they couldn't sync up the machines well enough for that, but now they could.

We expect to see Roger again soon.  Stay tuned...

bblackwood

Re: Roger Waters @ Compass Point
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:40:25 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 22:14

He's been working on a new album, and I must say it is great.

Thank you, you just made my decade...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

SingSing

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 06:36:06 AM »

I'll second that!   Surprised

Stefan
SingSing

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 08:18:30 AM »

Do you need an assistant to work for FREE on these session ????

Oooh Oooh (hand raised) ME FIRST ! I asked first! Smile

His tour 4 years ago was simply amazing! He invited some memphians to play on  a couple of songs, one played trumpet and other sax....what was their names....ummmmm, oh yeah Memphis Horns, and Wayne really Stole the show when he did a Trumpet solo on (Set the Controls). I've never seen people rise to their feet on a trumpet solo. I told him how awesome it was a couple of years later at a Premier Players award show. What a cool chap!

Pro's and Cons is awesome.
Kaos is OK, they should have shot the drummer...oh wait, i think they did...thats the reason there is a DRUM MACHINE (Barf) on that album.
Amused is his finest work since the Final Cut.

Do you happen to know what tracks from Amused to Death he did at CP ?

As for his current solo cd, well, he's been on it now for 10+ years, right?

And who would have thought HE would have grown up to look like Richard Gere ????

So are you also saying that he is Remixing some solo stuff in 5.1. Now if that is a fact......oops, i just wet myself.

Tell me its so?

Dennis

Brian Kehew

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

I have bought Amused to Death about ten times - I give it away to people (especially studio folks) who don't know it. It's certainly a "takes time to appreciate" record, as it doesn't hit you over the head with melody and hooks and so on. I have some stories I know from people who worked on it, only a few of which I might be able to share publicly!

Trivia quiz, on the line: "Each man has his price, Bob. And yours was pretty low." Who was Bob, And why did he get mentioned by name on the record?
Relax and float downstream...

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 12:23:52 PM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 11:16

Trivia quiz, on the line: "Each man has his price, Bob. And yours was pretty low." Who was Bob, And why did he get mentioned by name on the record?

I've always heard it was a shot at Bob Ezrin for pulling out of producing KAOS and doing MLOR...

[Edit: upon thinking about it, I did some research and found this:
Quote:

Waters explains this line: "When we recorded the album I would sometimes rehearse vocal takes by impersonating Bob Dylan.  That line originally read  'Each man has his price my friends...' so make of that what you will. As a  joke I sung 'Bob' instead and Pat insisted that we left it in. So although  it was unintentional I'm happy that it's there for Bob Ezrin. I hope he  appreciates it."  (Bob Ezrin had originally agreed to produce Roger's _Radio KAOS_, but backed out of the deal to produce MLoR.)

so I guess that answers it, right?]
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 01:59:12 PM »

Well, Its bob ezrin. And what a great line.

Why did he say that? Well, i think part of it was due to the fact that he (guys forgive me...) 'whored' himself out to Pink Fraud (the other guys that carried on the name). I belive that was the Intent of that line. Which was was rebuffed on Pink Fraud's album "Division Bell" during the Boxing bell part of one of the tracks...where Dave says he offered the olive branch to "his Enemy's" and was told to "Go and F*ck himself".

Word has it that Gilmore invited Waters to his Birthday party about 2 years ago.

Why cant the boys just get along? We'd ALL BE BETTER if they worked together again.

Favorite moment on Amused: Ok, i'm about to reveal how geeky i am.

The part of "Late home tonight" where "in Tripoly, and ordinary wife STAAAAAARES at the brokend sink her old man hadnt had time to fix, too busy mixing politics in the streets below" AT THIS POINT CLOSE YOUR EYES...you can see her going to the blinds and closing them to quiten down the noise from the outside protests....then this loud as hell missle gets fired into the crowd. Rog is one of the few folks that REALLY paint with music and audio. Awesome!!!!

Then there is the every so classy "Love" he has for Andrew Loyyd Webber. as the piano lid crashes down and "Breaks his F*ckin' fingers"

Favorite Track...HAS to be Amused to Death. And to see it live was too much for me emotionally.
What a great hook, what a great drum sound..from Intimate and tight in the 2nd vs to Bombastic Bonaham as it opens up in the 3rd.

You could have a Recording CLASS at a local university on JUST that album alone. There is SOOOOOO much there.

What is timeless about that album, is that the lyrics that are Political in nature, apply to THIS war we are in now as well.

Dont forget boys and girls....GOD wants Symtex!

Dennis

Brian Kehew wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 17:16

I have bought Amused to Death about ten times - I give it away to people (especially studio folks) who don't know it. It's certainly a "takes time to appreciate" record, as it doesn't hit you over the head with melody and hooks and so on. I have some stories I know from people who worked on it, only a few of which I might be able to share publicly!

wwittman

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 02:07:46 PM »

I worked briefly on Amused To Death (on what was then called Song For Europe... ended up The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range)

I had a great time; Roger is an amzing talent.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

zmix

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 02:10:47 PM »

I was in "traffic school" in LA with James Guthrie when he was making that album... We had lunch and talked about LA, London, comping Jeff Beck solos... etc.

Blast from the past!!

-CZ

bblackwood

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 02:27:42 PM »

Wow, ATD is seriously one of the top 3 records ever, imo. I can listen to it over and over and find new stuff...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Brian Kehew

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:05:48 AM »

I love it BUT, I find it's not a "warm" record sonically. However, I was helping build a studio and when positioning these huge monitors they had, we mainly used this album. WHen the monitors were in JUST the right spot - all the details and "soundstage" became VERY clear and stable. Obe or two inches away and it all collapsed. So - it's possible there's even a "better" album there than we've heard! Roger is, unquestionably, a brilliant artist in many ways.

I do know that they use the album on Gilmour's boat studio to demo his amazing monitors!

NEXT trivia qustion - what is the backwards vocal on the intro to Perfect Sense all about?
Relax and float downstream...

bblackwood

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 05:21:35 AM »

Brian Kehew wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 03:05

NEXT trivia qustion - what is the backwards vocal on the intro to Perfect Sense all about?

Kubrick baby!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bill Mueller

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 06:08:09 AM »

I worked with Bob Ezrin for a week and I have never seen a more abusive producer.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

RMoore

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 06:41:38 AM »

DennisC wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 19:59

years ago.

Why cant the boys just get along? We'd ALL BE BETTER if they worked together again.

I think its hard for people who haven't spent time IN a rock band to fully appreciate how the internal power politics / mind games /bizarre behavior quirks can lead to extreme hatred, and the feeling that its unbearable , such that NO AMOUNT of money could induce the hatred /fed-upness sufferer to participate further....combine that with deaing with labels, album tour album tour album tour drugs and booze etc etc..
look at how many people bail out of otherwise lucrative situations - Guns and ROses / Bill Wyman come to mind as but a few examples...
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 07:39:08 AM »

Ryan,

Yeah yeah, i know....but what about OUR needs as fans??

They forgot about us!

Oh, i know some about the band and the inmature mindset. Thats the reason i now sit behind the console and watch the fireworks.

I just wish they'd grow up and give us ONE MORE real pink floyd album.

This months Tape Op has a big article on Gilmores Floating Studio. Have not read it yet, but it looks intesting.

Does anyone know why Kubrick would NOT give roger permission to use his stuff? Of all people, Kubrick (In my opinion) would have benifited from his stuff on Rogers work. And i cant imagine in a million years Roger using it in a 'bad' way.

Dennis
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.