R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Active high quality splitters?  (Read 1818 times)

JackJohnston

Active high quality splitters?
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:03:41 AM »

Does anybody make an active, high quality, splitter? I'm thinking of something that would be like having 4 aux sends from a single input. Something that would be like having aux sends from a nice console.

Jack Johnston

Wire

Re: Active high quality splitters?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:37:24 AM »

Do you need it to have "Trim" levels on the splits.  

JackJohnston

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:51:33 AM »

I would actually prefer not having trim levels, but I expect that if it exists it will have trim levels. I think Rane has a 2 in 6 out splitter with trim levels, but I don't know anything about the quality of it. I think Jenson has schematics available for making a transformer isolated splitter, but I would rather not have the iron in the path for this application. And I would just rather buy it than make it.

Thanks,

Jack

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 10:14:48 AM »

I can atest that the Rane is indeed very clean. it is there 'studio' line not the utility line - Big diference and the cause of confusion among there products.

This is a good one for line level. Of course the 'standard' is the Aphex Distro. amp. also v.good.

For mic level, I've had best results with a passive spliters.
YRMV
Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

JackJohnston

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 11:07:56 AM »

Thanks.

I wish little labs, or some other high end company made a product like this. I'd feel more comfortable buying it unheard.

Thanks again.

Jack

Wire

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 12:46:53 PM »

Ok, I am getting a feel for what you want... now what is the reason that you need it to be active?

JackJohnston

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 10:12:59 PM »

wire wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 09:46

Ok, I am getting a feel for what you want... now what is the reason that you need it to be active?

So I don't have to much loss of signal. Maybe I'm assuming to much about the nature of aux sends on a high end board. I have a few small mixers that I could use to split the signals. I'm just trying to keep the signal path as strong as possible without going through a budget mixer.

Thanks,

Jack

Oliver Archut

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 11:51:09 PM »

Hello Jack,

without sounding like a bean counter, but active is distribution, passive is splitting.....

You might want to look into a good working V74(a), original designed as an buffer/distribution amp with three different outputs, all independent balanced.
Most vintage dealers try to pass those units as a mic pre, what is a bunch of crap, but used in their original field, like distribution it works incredible.
As an alternative in solid state, you might want to try a V672 set up as an buffer with four outputs all independent balanced. Both units have extreme high head room but of course the vintage factor with setting it up proper etc. sucks if you do not know a good tech.

For my taste (I use it all the time)  the V74 is a bit cleaner (and tube) than the V672, but the solid state design of the V672 with its 30dB gain is a bit easier to use and handle (maintenance)...

Hope that helps you...

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

JackJohnston

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 01:18:50 AM »

Thanks for the clarification. I did a search for "distribution amplifier" and found these.

Drawmer DA6
Benchmark IFA-9

The Benchmark looks like it might be perfect for my needs. I know that they have a reputation for transparency. The specs are awesome, for whatever that's worth.

Thank you very much.

Jack

U1176

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 07:46:03 AM »

The Drawmer is a bit of an industry standard around here for location/remote broadcast applications. Go for it if it meets your needs and budget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.