R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The best deal you ever got buying a....  (Read 45816 times)

antti

Re: The best deal you ever got buying a....
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »

tsuyoshi wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 04:08

I bought a consecutice pair of pultecs for $600, 2 1176s for $800, a complete Roland System 100 for $400, '66 Jazz Bass for $1000 and 3 Prophet 5s for free!

Wow.. That must have been in mid to late 80s? My ex-boss bought
a pair of Pultecs from Beatles Paul's private studio for

Dave Peck

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2005, 09:42:26 PM »

J.J. wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 05:04

A friend of mine was on a crack run and offered me his Ampeg B-15 Portaflex for $150.  Hey, I wasn't going to argue with the guy!

Ahh yes, the drugged-out musician's yard sale. A gold mine! I bought a Roland Space Echo for ten bucks and a Minimoog for fifty.

Bigger

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 07:27:25 AM »

Laughing Hi Guys, I know this is an old post, but several years ago I found my own little King Solomon's Tomb.... I visited a friend who was head tech at a major Australian television station. We went to a storage area at the station, where old, superseded or failed equipment resided before being dealt it's last rites or given a ticket to a new wholesale address... trashed or sent to the auctioneers. We were looking for a television monitor he suggested might be there with a view to rescuing it. We didn't find the television, but found 4 compact 6 into 2 mixers with coloured tops on the dials and and a modular construction giving some indication as it quality. Made by Audio Technologies in the UK, they are AD145 location mixers. Used the world over for film location recording, they are Class A, using Jensen Transformers. I paid $100 Aus dollars each ($400). I was more than happy to discover on-line that the current equivalent mixer which has a few improvements, but is in effect the same mixer, sells today for approximately $11,500 each.... not bad, $45,000 worth of mixers for $400. They are fantastic. Needed a little clean and minor repair/adjust, but are an essential part of my kit.......Cheers

arconaut

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2005, 04:13:12 PM »

One time, at band camp.... no wait. This is a bit of a story...

Two things I yearned for during my assistant engineer years were a decent acoustic guitar and a piano. Living in NYC, though, a piano is a real burden. So I was looking for an acoustic and found one for sale in the classifieds that looked promising. I called the guy and he said he worked at Kauffman-Astoria studios, and could I come out to Queens to see it. So I hopped on the subway, signed into the building, met the guy and saw the guitar. It wasn't so great.

I asked him what he did, and he said he worked for Sesame Street and would I like to see the set. I mean, would I?!?! It was a Friday afternoon, it was the last shoot of the day so he snuck me down there. To actually be standing on Sesame Street was one of the most mind-blowing experiences of my life. Apparently it is usually a closed set, and some folks who actually work for "Sesame Workshop" have never been allowed in. I got lucky.

Riding back into Manhattan I thought, "well, that was great but I still don't have a guitar". I decided to check out a pawn shop two blocks away from the studio where I was eventually headed. I walked down a block I never walk down, 22nd, between 5th and 6th and saw what looked like people loading stuff into a car, because there was a big black case sitting there amidst some other bags. But then I realized the guys were sitting in the car, not loading it. And the "stuff" consisted of trash bags and this black case - what musician loading stuff would set their things down next to trash?

I hesitated over the black case. I stalled. I hemmed and hawed and hawed and hemmed. I looked around for some kind of sign. The man in the car rolled down his window. He said, "I'm the super of this building right here and that thing has been in our hallway for years. It's some kind of piano and if you want it, it's yours".

And that's the story of how I got to Sesame Street and trashpicked a Fender Rhodes 73 within a two hour period on one day.

The end.

Noah
You Are Number Six

slicraider

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2005, 09:16:07 PM »

Cool I once put my name on a waiting list for a Moog parametric EQ. The shop never called to say they got one in and then three years later I got a call saying that the unit I sought would be auctioned on line. A couple of engineer budies had them in their racks for about $800 so imagine my suprise when my eleventh hour bid of $240 bought me a rare unit. It's great when you want to have a big wide bass sound that has lots of fur!

Rick Slater

NYC
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.