R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Zoolander and his mullet want to mix your record!  (Read 41794 times)

RMoore

Re: Zoolander and his mullet want to mix your record!
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2005, 03:46:20 AM »

FWIW - speaking about outside mixers,
I did once work on a project as a muso where the recording engineer just rocked in getting great sounds, being part of the vibe, being a creative editing hero etc etc & when it came to doing some mixes it was obvious it was just not 'there'..I was surprised by that,
Anyway, a 3rd party was brought in to mix and he did a great job, taking it to the next level..
The orig engineer did the final mastering BTW..
So in that case the tag team approach really did make the trax & album the best it could be..
I do appreciate though that it had a lot to do with this <particular> mixer and his connection to the music and the people doing the project (not meaning croneyism but being on the same 'wavelength'), in short being the perfect man for the job  eg: just hiring in 'a mixer' or sending it to LA to run through 100 compressor channels or whatever would have ruined dinner,,.
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

JackJohnston

Re: want to mix your record!
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2005, 07:03:42 AM »

J.J. wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 16:13

-

BTW, since we all agree this picture is ridiculous, I stumbled upon the issue with Dave Navarro, shirtless lying on an SSL.  There's an editor at EQ who clearly would rather be working at Honcho.  I'll scan and post it later.  Dave is a nice guy, but I'm sure would be the first to admit that he can be a rockstar, so I'll post it, as a friend, in hopes that he says, "What was I thinking?  This is a magazine that guys read."

At least that might attract more of the ladies to the industry.

Jack

stevieeastend

Re: want to mix your record!
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2005, 07:54:58 AM »

strawberrius wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 23:36

i love to mix and essentially do mix every project on ProTools b4 i send it to these guys.  but.....
i must say after working on a grueling album for 3 months, the last thing i want to do is mix it/open up that can of worms.... so i'm all in favor of other people mixing my records. in the end it usually makes for a happier artist, producer & label.

-jrf

I can second that. I wish there would be more affordable, good guys around my area... Mixing, after months of arranging, playing and producing (because that?s  90% of my job), can be really a hard time. Everyone?s finally happy with the takes, arrangements, sound etc. and than there is this kind of relief from the artists side..... "think we made it, just mix and let go... .. JUST mix it.... I wish it would be that simple....

cheers
steveeastend

Fibes

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2005, 09:16:34 AM »

FWIW i think the photos previously mentioned are stoopid, that said, as a visual artist i understand how this shit can happen.

I recall the album cover shoot for Blue Tomorrow from the Swimming Pool Qs. it's one of the most freakishly embarrassing photos i've ever seen. this is the story of how it happened...

Photo shoot, band members/label hire an ol' timey carnival, set up the shot and all dress in white so that they stand out amidst the animals, freaks, clowns, mix engineers etc. The shoot takes most of the day, millions of rolls of film are burned and the band is happy with the polaroids they've seen. After a full 8 hour day they are hanging around talking with the carny folk and thanking them for being so patient while the female singer is petting a little white pony. Suddenly the photog notices that the white dress and pony match so he assembles the band for a quick photo with the pony for a possible promo shot "just because." They take the remaining last two or three pictures on the roll and all go home.

What happens next?

The album is released with the Pony photo on the cover, the band looks tired, dorky and the bassists head is all caddywampus because in the era before photshop they had to cut and paste his head from the previous shoot onto his body because his eyes were closed. The band had no say in the process because their idea was  "too brainy."

My point?  Dave and JJP may have been put in the same "hit them when they're ready to go" ambush that allows even brilliant minds to be caught at their worst.

Or they really are self important pretensious pompous asses, but i'm not gonna decide from way down here.

Those without regret have done nothing.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

J.J. Blair

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2005, 09:25:40 AM »

Well, to be fair to Dave, he doesn't give the "Blue Steel" in every photo I've seen of him.  But both Dave and JJP do the same thing to me, which is acknowledge me only half the time I run into them.  However, after getting pissed about this over and over, I learned years later that with Dave, it's because he's blind as a bat and won't wear his glasses often.  He just didn't recognize me.  LOL.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

JackJohnston

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2005, 03:46:58 PM »

Don't hate Dave because he's beautiful, hate him because he's married to Carmen Electra. I'd probably pose like that for every picture ever taken if I looked like Dave Navarro, rather than a cross between Scott Peterson and Randy Couture. At the family reunion, "Wait, I need to take my shirt off and wet my hair".

Jack

compasspnt

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2005, 11:06:01 PM »

JackJohnston wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 15:46

...hate him because he's married to Carmen Electra...

That's his problem!  Dennis Rodman's leftovers...?

compasspnt

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2005, 12:10:25 AM »

Fibes wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 09:16

My point?  Dave and JJP may have been put in the same "hit them when they're ready to go" ambush that allows even brilliant minds to be caught at their worst.

Or they really are self important pretensious pompous asses, but i'm not gonna decide from way down here.

I actually know the answer in at least one of the cases.

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2005, 08:03:25 AM »

JJ,
Although i disagree...somewhat...on your JJP views. The fact you hang out with Falkner is too cool for school.
Tell him to ditch the TV eyes crap and get back to makin solo cd's again!

I DO AGREE on 'She Goes to Bed', the bass guitar is very overwhelming. And his Demos DO ROCK! The japaneese imports are the best!

I am part of a Jellyfish/Falkner DVD trading tree. And i have about 4 performances of Jason at various British record stores, with just him and an Acoustic Guitar. To watch him 'remmeber' "Both Belong" is simply mindblowing. He plays it as if he'd never forgotten it. Jason is an Unsung songwriter...and he needs to give us MORE music.
The new EP is good, but its only 5 songs.

Falkner is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!

Dennis

J.J. wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 18:58

I was thinking about this thread yesterday, as I went by to visit Jason Falkner at his studio.  Jason, of course, was in the Grays, and had JJP mix portions of his two solo records for Neglektra.  I had told him about the thread and about my story with how Jack's mix with just the 24 track, the 8038, some EQ and him playing the faders killed over the final album version.  We agreed that having too many toys and too many options can be a bad thing.  

He had once told me that he didn't want to produce himself again, because he plays so many instruments brilliantly, and plays everything on his albums himself, he thought the songs got muddled in too many things going on, etc.  The he played me a track he just did that was classic a Jason Falkner demo.  I have always loved his demos, even the really lo-fi ones.  It sounded so great, even though he doesn't have the most amazing rig, he knows how to get really cool sounds from what he has.  He doesn't need to have every mic pre or compressor under the sun to get a sound that works for the track.  I mean, even the tom sounds were really cool and he was just using SM57s.  I told him that I think he should continue to produce himself, but use no more than 16 tracks this time.  LOL.  

This, of course, goes back to what some of us are talking about.  Use some discipline when you track and envision the final mix.  Pink Floyd records and the way they made their records are a really great example of this.  In these days of unlimited tracks and being able to automate EQs in PT, etc., it gets to easy to see, let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks in mixing.  God bless the poor mixing engineers who decide to eliminate things when we producers overindulge the artist or get bogged down in our own indecision.  Nick Launay was telling me that they tracked the Semi Sonic record with all kinds of production, and Bob Clearmountain made it a guitar, bass and drums record.  Nick thought that it actually worked really great like that.  Anyway, I digress ... as usual.

BTW, thank you for mentioning sacrificing signal to noise.  I've often wondered about the wisdom recording everything with faders at 0db for that very reason.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2005, 09:44:43 AM »

Well, considering that we recorded most of TV Eyes here, and had a really great time doing it, I'm not so sure that I would call it crap.  Especially since I still want somebody to release it so I can get paid, finally!  LOL.  I don't know if you've only seen the shows, but I'm the only person outside of the group with copies of the original mixes, before Brian sound replaced all the drums, and it's much more punk rock.  I think that "She's a Study" is one of Jason's best songs.

I actually mastered the Japanese CDs, if you can believe that.  "His Train" is probably my favorite on that, if not one of my all time favs.  

Just so you know though, Jason just got new management and will be resuming his solo career.  We've got some plans to do some mixes together (meaning JJP won't get near it), and I can't wait.  I really love his music.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2005, 10:21:33 AM »

J.J. wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 09:44

Jason just got new management and will be resuming his solo career.  We've got some plans to do some mixes together (meaning JJP won't get near it), and I can't wait.  I really love his music.

Sometimes there is good news.

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2005, 12:03:11 PM »

JJ,
I'm an 80's child. I grew up (formative years) in the 70's but my teen years were all about the 80's. Not much i would want to see rehashed from the 80's. Expecially the stiff synth pop that TV Eyes nails. I'm all over Devo and Gary Newman, just not sure a rebirth of that stuff is a worth while endevour. I just didnt feel the TV eyes songs were very strong, compared to "Author Unknown" and "Can you still Feel".

The best track on the TV Eyes is the last track, which is instrumenal. As for the others, i just dont like it.
Now, hear me out. I never meant to call it CRAP in the conventional sense. I was requesting that he drop it and get back to work on some solo stuff.

You mastered the 2 CD Import? Kudos to you! I simply LOVE what he did to "Burning Airlines". and the Demos...well, i admire ANYONE who puts out their demos for all to see. AND i agree with you that even though they are not made from the Best gear in the world, he really does get milage out of prosumer gear.

So, do you know the story behind "Holiday" on "Can you Still Feel", where it intros with an Airline radio stating "Are we clear for Take off?" ? I'd like to get the story, if there is one, behind that.
Pound for Pound i like Can you still Feel to Author Unknown, but AA does have some STRONG moments.

....and for that, i baked you a cake!

Dennis

J.J. wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 15:44

Well, considering that we recorded most of TV Eyes here, and had a really great time doing it, I'm not so sure that I would call it crap.  Especially since I still want somebody to release it so I can get paid, finally!  LOL.  I don't know if you've only seen the shows, but I'm the only person outside of the group with copies of the original mixes, before Brian sound replaced all the drums, and it's much more punk rock.  I think that "She's a Study" is one of Jason's best songs.

I actually mastered the Japanese CDs, if you can believe that.  "His Train" is probably my favorite on that, if not one of my all time favs.  

Just so you know though, Jason just got new management and will be resuming his solo career.  We've got some plans to do some mixes together (meaning JJP won't get near it), and I can't wait.  I really love his music.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2005, 03:12:29 PM »

As promised, Dave Navarro displays his total recall technique.
index.php/fa/903/0/
studio info

maxim

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2005, 03:16:27 PM »

he does the vocal rides with his penis

now, i know why they they call it cock-rock

rankus

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2005, 12:18:16 PM »

'
'
Boy, do I feel sorry for the next session coming in to use that console! Shocked
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.