R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Zoolander and his mullet want to mix your record!  (Read 41766 times)

maxim

Re: Zoolander and his mullet want to mix your record!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 05:42:00 AM »

fair enough

i agree with everything you say

i guess, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't

there's certainly a distinct lack of subtlety in his work

"sonic bukkake", eh?

not a pretty sight

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 08:55:50 AM »

Sorry guys, dont care if he is King Dick.

Anyone who put their hands on BOTH Jellyfish CD's is considered a God to me.

As for the pose, yes i agree with the above quote about "A Spoon", which is one of the best Over the TOP lines from a 90's film.

Who cares how he poses.........just listen to "Spilt Milk" and then comment.

When i grow up, i want to have his resume AND his control room!

Dennis

wwittman

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2005, 02:28:59 PM »

Ahh, this sort of makes a point for me...
NO disrespect intended, but do you really want his "resume and control room" or his "talent"?

if it's the former, then he's successfully sold you the mystique.

If the reason something sounds so good is a collection of equipment, I think that says something.
It feeds into the idea that you can BUY great sound and don't need technique or experience or taste.
A good paradigm for a magazine.
But not one I buy into.

A few other points:

I can like a hair band's music and still hate the hair and spandex.

If the record company suggests that you take your cover photo with you in bed with a clown, a REAL artiste says "no".
Same rules apply to magazine covers.
Otherwise, if the floppy shoes fit...

I think I'm going to call my next record Sonic Bukkake.
No clowns will appear on the cover.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxim

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2005, 03:21:08 PM »

if you're going to call it 'sonic bukkake', you'll need at least a dozen clowns in bed with you

maxim

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2005, 03:22:35 PM »

i just read that back to myself and shuddered

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2005, 04:08:50 PM »

NO NO, No disrepect understood.

I LIKE his work, EXPECIALLY on both Jellyfish CD's.
I'd love to have the experience he has had with many influential bands (His resume).
And who among us would NOT want his control room? Equipemnt and Tapistries and all?

I love the Way TLA smashed the Spymob album, where as others didnt.
I love the way JJP mixed the Jellyfish cd's but also his work with No Doubt is nice.

If i had a band today, i think i'd choose CLA to mix it...personally. Not as smashed as his borthers work, but still powerful.
A great album to check out is Jimmy's Chicken Shack "Bring your own Stereo" it has the Lord-Alges mixing against each other.
Before you look at the liner notes, listen...see if you can identify who's mix each song is.

I love digital, i love compression. So sue me.
I DO believe some albums are smashed to oblivion and ruined, but i think others benefit from mass compression.
Kevin Gilbert's THUD is a Compression masterpiece and kicks MAJOR ass.

I think JJP's work is respectable. Who cares if he poses for a magazine cover...Jealous?

I find the cover of Mix where his control room is in full view...simply arousing! and its absent JJP in the picture.

Dennis

wwittman wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 19:28

Ahh, this sort of makes a point for me...
NO disrespect intended, but do you really want his "resume and control room" or his "talent"?

if it's the former, then he's successfully sold you the mystique.

If the reason something sounds so good is a collection of equipment, I think that says something.
It feeds into the idea that you can BUY great sound and don't need technique or experience or taste.
A good paradigm for a magazine.
But not one I buy into.

A few other points:

I can like a hair band's music and still hate the hair and spandex.

If the record company suggests that you take your cover photo with you in bed with a clown, a REAL artiste says "no".
Same rules apply to magazine covers.
Otherwise, if the floppy shoes fit...

I think I'm going to call my next record Sonic Bukkake.
No clowns will appear on the cover.

cgc

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2005, 04:23:49 PM »

DennisC wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 07:55

That record sounds like very well produced Queen and ELO knock-offs.  It's mixing doesn't elevate it above that to me.

What else has Edward Mixerhands done?

CCC

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 04:45:35 PM »

cgc wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 21:23

That record sounds like very well produced Queen and ELO knock-offs.  It's mixing doesn't elevate it above that to me.

please. stop. this. it. embarrasses. us. all. enough. slagging. jjp. please....

(read as though William Shatner was speaking)

JackJohnston

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 11:54:40 PM »

Quote:

That record sounds like very well produced Queen and ELO knock-offs. It's mixing doesn't elevate it above that to me.

That's quite a compliment in a strange way.

I really like the unshelved sound of his mixing. It works for the bands he works with. I agree that his style of mixing sounds more smeared than most pop albums, but not nearly as smeared as most rock albums. The Muse album Mixed by Rich Costey is totally over the top "Sonic Bukkake", but it sounds great. Compared to it, No doubt, Wallflowers, Verve Pipe, etc, are very in the pocket mixes.

JJ, I think your style of mixing is way more pocket styled, like Bob Clearmountains. I think that part of the reason he gets so much work is because his mixing is very stylized, and somewhat out of the pocket, but it's still very pop.

And, just like every other industry, knowing how to market yourself is a huge part of your ability to get work.

Jack

maxim

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2005, 12:36:08 AM »

i guess, some of the trouble, is that it sounds exciting and overwhelming when you first hear it, but it can leave you feeling a little dirty afterwards, just like bukkake

even though i really enjoyed the muse record, i find myself leaving it on the shelf more often than not (same with jjp's aimee mann record)

maybe, it's because i'm an old guts, but i like peace and quiet more and more (with my cookies and milk)

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2005, 07:47:02 AM »

I am sure Manning and company would take that as the ultimate complement and agree with you.

THAT was the intention of those discs. Dont forget who they hired to produce the stuff. THey were looking for THAT style in mixing and producing. In articles with Alhby, he mentioned the first thing He and JJP did before EVER printing a note on tape was to pull out Sgt Pepper and listen to it from top to bottom.
Manning admits they went thru a zillion assistants on that disc.

Its NOT the biggest album ever (sonics), its not the most compressed. Its actually a very dynamic album.
If its not your bag, then thats cool.

I think they pulled that 70's vibe thing off completly originally..while sounding hauntingly familiar. That had to do with the artist, songs, but also the SOUNDS too.

Oddly enough they were ahead of thier time...while doing retro...sort of a Back to the Future type thing. Meanwhile, 10 years later the 70's retro phase is in style.

Dennis

cgc wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 21:23

DennisC wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 07:55

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2005, 08:40:48 AM »

To put this topic in perspective for me
I would like to timeline a bit
whether we are talking of JJP or me or joeblow
as the last 5 years have crept up to us
we are in the age of the ability to have 192 tracks of information inside the box
that is insane
at the Record Plant in '94 we were mixing Quincy Jones "Back on the Block" and had to bring in an extra desk to add to the 96 channels of SSL so we could get the 3rd Sony 48 track back somewhere
This was extraordinary to me at the time and the amount of manpower to actually do it was huge
this was so we could break out horns and sound effects and tracks that had been sub-mixed over time
Now, I just tell my system to add voices
POINT being that we are now more than ever cramming much more information into the sonic space and it can only hold so much
some mixers actually try to honor the original recording and try and use it all
some become mix Nazis and just take it upon themselves to use what they want
in the end
no right or wrong just styles
at the forefront of this is the over recording being done on a daily basis with little restraint since the technology allows it
as a mixer, one has to really put on an editing hat quite often to not serve up
"brown soup" or "sonic bukkake" you guys have said
for me a lot of mixers these days are using buss compression as a way of not having to take the extra day or 2 days to weed through and balance and eq the mix
if they just put up the wall
then the mix in the end is easier , faster and for some of these guys
more lucrative , since time is money
in my experience, JJP likes his compression, but he also will take the time to sort through every track and try and honor the recording, right or wrong , good or bad
this cannot be said for all and in the end , we of little restraint are to be blamed for bringing in ten tons of shit for the mixer to handle
as far the lemming approach to hiring mixers that the a&r community has
i just leave it be
if i had my way
we would invite a huge portion of the executive community of the record business today to a far away planet where they can speak martian to alien beings, because that is how much sense they make to me  

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Fletcher

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2005, 08:42:16 AM »

J.J. wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 08:30

Fletcher, as much as the Alge's mutate somebody's tracks, I have to say that their mixes have usually sounded better and clearer to me than JJP's.  Their stuff may be overly bright and overly compressed, but one of my complaints with JJP is that his mixes tend to be too busy, too crowded and it seems like he only listened to each instrument on its own while EQing and compressing, and then threw all the faders up disregarding what steps on what. But that is just how I hear it.

Interesting.

Personally I was pretty ambivilent about JJP's work... it seemed competent to me... but then I heard a copy of Hole's "Celebrity Skin" on which there were mixes by CLA [and maybe even TLA... but as far as I can tell they're absolutely interchangable] and a mix by JJP.

The JJP mix was so much more open and full of life and emotion than the CLA mixes... had a more expressive bottom, an open and airy top, captured the essence of the song better as far as I was concerned... and most importantly, it made me want to listen to the song... it drew me into the presentation.

To me, this, if anything, is what a "mixer" should be focusing on... and while I could really take or leave that particular album, I thought the difference in mixers was palpable.

On another note... JJP did some remixes of some "Sparklehorse" stuff that uttlerly floored me... but as always... YMMV.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

J.J. Blair

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2005, 11:53:01 AM »

I'm not always crazy about the Alge's, btw.  I think they are very hit or miss, for reasons I won't go into.  I'm not so sure that they deserve their reputation with A&R people as the "go-to" guys to mix your single, especially at those rates.  However, they have done some shit that has blown me away, and they have done some shit that was well ... shit.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Dennis Allen Cupp

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2005, 01:30:01 PM »

JJ,
Love the image with your name. That is one of my all time favorite movies!

Highlight of my L.A. trip in 2001...was bowling where "The Dude" once abode! Because you know, the dude abides! And being a Nihilist is VERY exhausting!  and as for Bunny L.....whoa! I'm heading for the teller machine too! (If this make no sense to anyone reading it....go RENT the DVD The Big Lebowski...ONE STELLAR FILM!)

One of my Favorite all time JJP works is the FIRST Taxiride album.
Some think its too smashed. I think its the RIGHT mix for the material.
I think the production is spot on as well, not too busy at all.

Have you heard this disc?

Dennis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.