R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Zoolander and his mullet want to mix your record!  (Read 41780 times)

J.J. Blair

Zoolander and his mullet want to mix your record!
« on: March 21, 2005, 05:45:09 PM »

OK, so I obviously don't care who I piss off, but I just can't be phony.  It's not like Jack doesn't know me or know who I am.  But hey, if somebody is a dick and overrated, I'm the first to say so.  If you're a nice guy however, and overrated, I'll usually let it slide.  But this is just begging for it, IMHO:
index.php/fa/873/0/
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

wwittman

Re: Zoolander and his mullet want to mix your record!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 06:30:42 PM »

"5 things that will destroy your mix"

when two of them are right on the cover:

Comparing preamps

and "making magic" with plug ins

come to think of it, there may be a subtle third "thing" on the cover.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Norwood

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 06:35:22 PM »

He may be a tool (or atleast look like one), but its actually a decent article.

I think he looks more like the prince in "Robin Hoood-Prince of theives" than Zoolander. Shocked

"Why a spoon cousin?"
"Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more!"
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

J.J. Blair

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »

Right, he looks like Alan Rickman, but the pose is pure Zoolander.  He does that same pose in every picture.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Norwood

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 08:36:06 PM »

"What is this, the Zoolander center for ants!?!
How are the kid's going to learn to read if they can't fit in the building!" Laughing
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 08:44:57 PM »

http://www.eqmag.com/Pictures/Title/v/u/r/final_spread.jpg
studio info

zmix

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 08:54:30 PM »

The files are IN the computer?

RMoore

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 03:08:27 AM »

The '5 things that will destroy your mix' line CAN"T be a coincidence,
Pretty funny,
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Norwood

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 04:26:01 AM »

You can READ minds!?!
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 04:41:24 AM »

On the bright side... at least it wasn't the Lord Pond Scum Bros... Jack may be "over rated" [aren't most of us?]... but from what I've heard he does way less damage than those Alge boys.

Frankly... I'd take the scraps either camp throws to the side...
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

punkest

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 07:44:09 AM »

J.J. wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 22:45

OK, so I obviously don't care who I piss off, but I just can't be phony.  It's not like Jack doesn't know me or know who I am.  But hey, if somebody is a dick and overrated, I'm the first to say so.  If you're a nice guy however, and overrated, I'll usually let it slide.  But this is just begging for it, IMHO:
index.php/fa/873/0/

HAHAHAHA, this looks damn bad!! wwjjpd???  

Otitis Media

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 08:16:53 AM »

Perhaps the expression is a smug "I have regular work at this shit" exression?
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 08:30:59 AM »

Fletcher, as much as the Alge's mutate somebody's tracks, I have to say that their mixes have usually sounded better and clearer to me than JJP's.  Their stuff may be overly bright and overly compressed, but one of my complaints with JJP is that his mixes tend to be too busy, too crowded and it seems like he only listened to each instrument on its own while EQing and compressing, and then threw all the faders up disregarding what steps on what. But that is just how I hear it.  

On a side note, I just learned that he mixed a record that I had bought a year ago, and I was playing it in the car and my wife made me turn it off because there was some noise in the mix that was really annoying the fuck out of her.  She's never asked me to stop playing anything other than Yes before.  (She just can't do prog.)
studio info

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 09:05:14 AM »

I appreciate the humor at discussing
JJP's Zoolander - Black Shoe polish beard look .....
it has miffed me for years ..the "I take myself way too serious" look
but as art goes it is all subjective
he actually get's a chance to work on lot of shit I myself would love to touch and for whatever reason, keeps working which is admirable. We all can be a bit like throwing stones when we live in a glass house
I have to say it starts a discourse that is not very productive when dissing ones competition in public
I think in one forum there was a discourse about this
It is the kind of thing that might be better left for a private conversation
but since it was raised, once again, he looks abso fuckinlutely ridiculous on that cover ....

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

JackJohnston

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 09:25:55 AM »

JellyFish's Bellybutton is one of my all time favorite mixes. It's a little noisy while at the same time not being mastered very hot, but it's just beautiful to listen to.

Jack
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.